first scene from our feature - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old September 12th, 2004, 05:42 AM   #31
New Boot

Waaa... Nazi zombies! Instant flashback, reminds me of those greasy movieadds I used to see as a kid during the 80's. Depicting Nazi zombies rising out of swamps! Hehe, they made my imagination run wild! Those were the days...

Granted, I am a zombie lover and a latent WWII enthusiast so you got my attention. :]

I agree with most of the remarks re acting, cleancut look, course of events during the battle scene... But whatever, this is you actually living your dream. I can see you're having fun and I have the utmost respect!

In Dutch we have a saying: "De beste stuurlui staan aan wal"

Meaning something like, the best sailors are on the shore

Just go for it Peter
Kristof Indeherberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #32

<<<-- Originally posted by Kristof Indeherberge :

Just go for it Peter -->>>

I will. THANKS!
Peter John Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 12:12 AM   #33
Regular Crew

And now, for a completely shallow question:

Did you actually use the Wilhelm for one of your character's death screams?

Wow. Tribute.

Michael

http://www.nerf-herders-anonymous.ne...elmScream.html
Michael Bernstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2004, 07:03 AM   #34

Yes. The Wilhelm is layered into the sound mix. God, I love Royalty Free sound libraries!
Old September 14th, 2004, 07:13 AM   #35
Trustee

Great job! Looks cool to me!

Murph
Old October 2nd, 2004, 12:12 PM   #36

Check out the MAKING OF Featurette for our World War II horror feature HORRORS OF WAR - CLICK HERE TO SEE "Preparing for War". Meet the creative team behind the feature film.

9 min - Windows Media

interviews shot with DVX100A 24p camera, the rest is Super 8 film and 35mm outtakes

CLICK HERE TO SEE OTHER CLIPS

- Peter John Ross
www.sonnyboo.com
Old October 5th, 2004, 09:52 AM   #37
Trustee

I think for the scale you are trying to achieve it is great, I can appreciate it because I only make shorts right now and know how much work they can be.. keep up the great work, I'm interested to see the final product when completed!

Please take my criticism for what it's worth - we all have different ideas, opinions, styles and most importantly GOALS which may not all be the same.

CG:
The CG is cool but I would consider desaturating the color significantly more in After Effects though (where you are doing the compositing) to match/blend the original footage with the CG footage. 'Matching' is usually hard to do, but specifically I found the fire too red/orange compared to the washed out look of the other colors in the scene.

Cinematography
Although I'm only seeing the low res trailer online, to me it does not look like 35mm film. I didn't see much, if any depth of field being utilized which is just one of the great attributes to shooting on 35mm. Since shallow DOF is a little more limited with shooting 16mm, if most of your clips were shot on 16mm then this might be why I feel this way? Consider saving some of your 35mm shots for areas of the film where you can utilize DOF to separate foregrounds from backgrounds and shoot the other parts on 16mm. Not every shot needs to have shallow DOF but used appropriately it can help contribute to the "overall" look and feel of a film. Consider putting more f2.0 shots in there with those 35mm lenses.

I also would liked to have seen more eerie lighting (low key like the X-Files) rather then afternoon sun... but as well understand the complexities of shooting at night and while on a low budget of course. ;)

Story
I like the story idea because to me it's unique and I think it can actually work. I think for it to work as a film though it will need more darkness, eerieness and a lot more focus on something unique about each character. Right now there doesn't appear to be anything interesting about any of the characters - not much personality, they all act the same, they look the same (clean cut, race, etc..) something to consider. I have obviously not read the entire story/script but I feel a film like this will need to be quite suspenseful the whole way through to the end to help the audience from feeling like they're just watching a bunch of army guys walk through a field. I kind of love that feeling I get when you know a group of people are about to embark on some kind of a mission together and you have no idea what awaits them! Kind of like in the film Resident Evil.. so just be sure to keep your story first and audience interested.

Good luck and again keep up the great work!
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 03:13 AM   #38
Major Player

Peter,
Great concept! Great Idea! Great Drive!

Regardless of whatever, I still think you took the initiative to go a lil bit ahead of most Indie film makers!.

CGI
Yes the CGI was nice even though the fire gave it away that it was animated.
Also, when the plane crashed, the soldiers should have bent down/dock or whatever they call it a lil due to the loud noise of the crash and huge flame burst.

Besides this, every other thing seems pretty much fine to me.

Everyone, this is why we are indie film makers. We do not have the funds and man power like hollywood but for the fact that we can do something close to pros like Steven Sp. and others in the category, hey, that is terrific!.

Peter, more greese to your elbow men!
I loved the thriller
Eniola Akintoye is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work