GL2 with VZ-LSP : opinions while walking? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 14th, 2004, 09:46 PM   #16
Old Boot

Ken, if it looks like a duck, if it sounds like a duck . . . . as you say,"It really looks like someone's hobby project. " . . sometimes things just don't "look" right . . sometimes they DO look right .. . this was my only point. You too have this innate understanding of what looks right . . This was at the centre of my opinion. Glide Cam Pro could be near it, but it still lacks that design "bite" . .. ..

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:09 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Good choice, Joe.

One note: Don't underestimate the amount of time you will have to practice with this, or any other inertial stabilizer. It's definitely not immediate success out-of-the-box. But if you're dedicated you will be rewarded with some million dollar results.

Have fun!
Well, Ken, do you have a review for the DV Rig Pro? Coz I splurged and bought that one along with the Varizoom Stealth Zoom controller. I figured that the Glidecam would utterly destroy my deltoid muscles so the benefits would only be shortlived. So, with that in mind, I bought the DV Rig Pro.

Maybe the next purchase will be the Magiqcam (after I've robbed a bank)! =8^D
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:20 AM   #18
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

So I guess the budget gave way to other considerations. <g>

My DV Rig Pro review is not quite ready. But I think you'll be very pleased with this brace. It's an excellent accessory comparable to that of a good tripod and head.

Have fun with that DV Rig Pro!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:45 AM   #19
Regular Crew

My wallet hates you! J/k!

I figured that if I'm gonna spend $300 on a Glidecam I could probably build myself, why not get something a lot better? So I considered your experience in this field and decided to go with your advice.
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I finally got to use it last Saturday for 12 hours. I did't get tired until about 7 hours into the day. I was mostly tired from standing around. 7 tapes and 3 battery replacements later, I was finished with the wedding. I could have kept going if not for running out of tapes.

My mini-review - the stem that supports the camera has some shock absorbing qualities which will take most of the jolt out of your steps. This is not as smooth as a Glidecam 2000 but could you imagine holding that for 12 hours? Even if you took breaks every now and then, you arm would fatigue. The DVRigPro, for my limited experience in videography, is the perfect blend of a tripod, shoulder mount and Glidecam. This is not the camera to use for running up and down the sideline but it's perfect for weddings and "walk around" events.

Getting the DVRigPro setup with my GL2 took no more than 15 minutes the first time. When I used if for the wedding, I had it on me in less than 2 minutes and I was ready for shooting!

Thanks Ken for suggesting this setup!
Old July 26th, 2004, 11:47 AM   #21
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Calalang : ...This is not the camera to use for running up and down the sideline but it's perfect for weddings and "walk around" events. ... -->>>

Good to hear back from you, Joe! And good to hear that your first impression of the DV Rig Pro was positive. Your sentence, above, sums up the DV Rig's application perfectly.

Now that you've gotten the general feel of the brace, if you've not already done so, try making some fine-tuning adjustments. Specifically, shift the camera's horizontal placement along that t-bar to see how it changes the balance. Also note that you can loosen those chrome nut heads on the handlebar handles to reposition the handles along that t-bar and also change their angles. Small changes to these handles can make big differences in comfort. I also prefer to leave that front hinge knob just loose enough so that I can tilt slightly without changing the camera's horizontal position.

Thanks for reporting back!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Shoulder & Handheld Supports