XL-1 tape can't play on sonys, etc !! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 10th, 2004, 01:16 PM   #1
Tourist

XL-1 tape can't play on sonys, etc !!

what i shoot on my canon plays back fine on the canon and fine when i get it in the computer, but when i play the tape in a sony cam there are digi squares and sound drop outs. the other day i tried playing it off a new panasonic 100a.....the visual (video) was fine, but the sound would go in and out.....what up???

billy
Billy Merryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 01:46 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

This is not at all unusual. Of course you want to make sure you are always shooting in SP mode (never in LP mode) for best compatibility. You can send your XL1 to Canon to have the heads checked and realigned. But that's about it.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 02:55 PM   #3
Tourist

ok....i haven't shot yet in long play.
about getting the heads re aligned....
i'm well past warrenty, so how much would that cost?
could the manufactures do this, as to make it difficult on using
the other guys camera?

billy
Billy Merryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 02:59 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

You'll have to contact Canon Service for an estimate. I would guess that such a routine service would run around $250-450 and take 7-10 days.

No, I seriously doubt there's a conspiracy. This can,and does, happen even between cameras of the same brand and model.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #5
Doconomus

Guys:

I had a situation similar to Billy last Monday.

I shot footage on my XL1 and then played back in a Sony DSR-11 at my local university. When playing, every once in a while, I had digital square holds and audio dropouts/bleeps. I brought the tape to a friend's and he played it fine in his GL1. I'm still upset that my camera is having troubles.

Looks like I might have to send my camera in to get realignment. Stinks when this stuff happens in the middle of the production schedule.
Kyle "Doc" Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog