Leaving the tape in the camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 6th, 2002, 09:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Leaving the tape in the camera

I have read leaving the tape in the camera is bad, but never found out why.

Bad for the tape? Bad for the head and camera? What happens if I leave it in there? How long can I leave it in until I should worry? I just found out that I had forgotten a tape in the camera for 6 weeks... do I have to be scared now?

Cheers, Peter
Old August 6th, 2002, 02:44 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

I have heard that this is a bad habit, but also never heard why. So, I have one more bad habit to add to my list. I guess I have been lucky, as no problems have come up. I always have a fresh battery and tape in, ready to go. You never know when...
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2002, 03:39 PM   #3
Warden

Having a tape loaded and ready may be good if your chasing UFO's or the Loch Ness Monster, but it can cause cause problems with the tape. Part of the reason to fast forward and rewind new tapes is to get the tape to lay flat and equalize the tension. During shipping the tape gets bounced around and slack develops. The same thing happens when you leave the tape in the camera. The tape can develop slack and even get stuck in the camera. Worst case the tape might get a crease in it or the camcorder eats the tape and breaks a head. Does this happen very often? No, so you have to figure out if its worth the risk to always be ready.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2002, 05:36 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

That's the first I have heard of that. Thanks for the heads up.
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2002, 06:16 AM   #5
Wrangler

Leaving tape in camera short periods (e.g., over night or on a weekend trip) is not likely to be a problem. But the longer the period the greater the risk of the tape taking a set that can induce a short term play error. Kind of like your joints are slow to recover after resting in one position for a long time. Also, leaving the tape in a camcorder while the camcorder undergoes some environmental cycling (e.g., cold-to-hot-to-cold, or humidity changes) might encourage a touch of tape sticking to the mechanism. And of course, someone could even record over existing footage.
As Jeff notes, it is a matter of your risk tollerance.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2002, 08:27 AM   #6

In my experience, the magnetic recording layer is vapor deposited onto the substrate and the bond between them is very fragile. In areas where the tape passes over a drive capstan there is a very tight turn. Storing the tape in one position stresses the bond and sometimes causes the recording media to delaminate and flake off. The dreaded blockiness or dropout then shows up.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2002, 02:31 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

I believe there's one other consideration to keep in mind... leaving a tape threaded in the camera puts tension on a series of tiny springs inside the tape transport mechanism. These springs cost perhaps a few-tenths of a cent to manufacture. However, replacement and labor charges due to worn-out springs which were tensioned needlessly over long periods of time will be to the tune of a couple hundred bucks. Some guys have an issue about using their cameras as playback decks, but they'll cause more harm simply by leaving a tape in all the time. Something to think about.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2002, 04:31 PM   #8
New Boot

Rewind the tape for storage

Before you take the tape out the deck for storage on the shelf for longer periods of time make sure you rewind it to the beginning. Tapes stored in the middle of them can develop a ripple where the capstan left an impression on it. This will still happen at the beginning too but chances are your best shots aren't off the top. One more reason for recording bars at the head of every tape.
Jim McNally is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog