DVfilm.com talks about the HD1 (and I guess HD10) to 35 mm film transfer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old August 22nd, 2004, 11:01 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

DVfilm.com talks about the HD1 (and I guess HD10) to 35 mm film transfer

This is from their FAQ:

"34. Can I use the JVC HD-1 to shoot hi-def and transfer to film?

No. The JVC's 16:9 HDTV (720p30) format is 30 frames/sec progressive-scan and cannot be converted to 24 frames/sec. (Normal interlaced NTSC is 60 fields/sec and is easily converted to 24, but 30P formats have only 30 motion samples per second and no smooth conversion to 24 is possible).

The other modes of the JVC are standard definition and offer no real advantages. Wait for the European version (720p25) if there will be one."

Though it says HD-1, I'm going to safely assume that includes the HD-10, as well.

heath
Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:49 AM   #2
Major Player

The FAQ is often mere opinion.

I've posted 24fps frame blend conversions from the HD10, many people think they look fine. Technicians may spot the slight artifacts, but normal audiences don't see things the same way.
Remember, the artifacts are not TV type artifacts, such as interlace saw edges or digital looking defects. It's progressive to progressive.
-Les
Old August 23rd, 2004, 07:03 AM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

Interesting.

But whether it's opinion or not, would DVFilm transfer it? Or would the filmmaker need to convert him or herself?

heath
Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Maybe DVFILM won't do the conversion. But if you provide the converted footage on a drive, I don't think they will turn your business away. You can always try one of the other 1/2 dozen places that can do a filmout for you.
I think the bigger issues are how they tune the film curves to suit what you want the film to look like. What kind of scaling and or sharpening will be applied? How 'thin' ( underexposed ) is the negative they will hand you ? ( Many places are getting fast frame times on the recorder by under exposing the negative, and that can give you milky looking blacks because they try to compensate with the printer lights at the lab. )
These issues impact the look of the film more than the 30 -->24 conversion. I didn't notice DVfilm state the density of their negative anywhere. They should be up front about that. CRT film recorder people usually prefer not to talk about that little issue.

-Les
Old August 24th, 2004, 08:59 AM   #5
New Boot

Twixtor

From what I've seen, Twixtor does a fantastic job of pulling down to 24p. After seeing it, I immediately decided on a JVC cam. The artifacting is so minimal (to me) that I virtually dismiss it.
Old August 24th, 2004, 09:57 AM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

Well, that's cool to know! Twixtor may be a great investment.

hwm
Old August 24th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #7
Trustee

One should also check out Algoliths products.

http://www.algolith.com/index.php?id=software&L=0

Their MPEG Noise Reducer, Framerate Converter and Timewarper,
among others, should peek ones intrest . If anyone has time to try out the demos let us know what you think.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U