Squeeze 4 - dmg file won't open at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Distribution Center
PC or Mac, how to take your video to DVD or the Internet.

Old September 6th, 2004, 07:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Squeeze 4 - dmg file won't open

I hope that this is the right forum for this question, if not please accept my apologies, and tell me where to go :-)

I ordered and downloaded Sorenson Squeeze 4 Compression Suite for Mac (upgrade, I already have a registered copy of ver.3). I burned the .dmg file to CD to transport from my PC to Mac. I made sure that the CD is Mac compatable.

Problem:
- The .dmg file will not run, either from the CD or when copied to the Mac desktop
- When activated, I get the message "Disc Copy. Unable to open squeeze..."
- I have downloaded again (in case file was corrupted) but get same message
- Disc Copy is working, as I have been able to run other disc image files
- Sorenson support has been totally unresponsive, after more than a week, I have received no reply from Sorenson "support" whatsoever.

I have been a PC guy for many years, and bought a Power Mac G4 (OS 10.2.6) with FCP4 a year ago for editing. I am hopeful that I have simply overlooked something, as I have been quite satisfied with Squeeze 3, although I am not in the least impressed with Sorenson support.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
www.doubledogsvideo.com
video@doubledogs.com
Brad Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 08:04 AM   #2

Hi Brad,

Why not re-download the upgrade using your Mac? Do you have internet access on your Mac?

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Berube : Hi Brad,

Why not re-download the upgrade using your Mac? Do you have internet access on your Mac? -->>>

Hi Don,

Thanks for your suggestion.

The Mac only has dialup (it's pretty much dedicated to editing and production), and the Sorenson file is 50Mb...it would take forever to download!

Today I downloaded (on the PC) a Realplayer plugin that was a .dmg file, burned that to CD, then installed on the Mac with no problem, so I doubt the PC to Mac transportation is the hangup. The .dmg file mounted just fine, so it's not Disk Copy either.

This further convinces me that the problem is with the Sorenson download, not my computer. I still await a reply from Sorenson Support...three inquiries sent and no responses.

Hopefully the Sorenson Support department is simply overloaded and they will get back to me. Maybe I'm doing something stupid, it wouldn't be the first time. In any case, I'm not giving up until the problem is solved. Thanks again for your suggestion.
www.doubledogsvideo.com
video@doubledogs.com
Old September 6th, 2004, 11:06 PM   #4
Major Player

Have you tried burning it again on a different CD? There is the possibility that the file got corrupted somehow. In that case as well, you might try re-downloading on your PC and burning again.

If you have the time you could always network the computers with an ethernet cable and just copy the file over that way. The mac has autosensing so you do not need a crossover cable (last I checked anyway, but you might want to check your specs first).
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #5
New Boot

Just went upgrade, downloaded, mounted, installed on Mac OSX 10.3 w/o any problems.
So it did work for me and should for you.
As previously pointed out, try downloading directly on the cpu that it's being installed on.

Did the same with the demo last wk.

You're right about sorenson support/sales. I emailed some questions last Weds. and called since. About 5 calls later, finally got a live body.

Allan
sportingspirit.com
Allan Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 08:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Success!!!

Thinking that perhaps burning the CD (utilizing Easy CD Creater) in the "compatable with most computers" format might have been the problem, I decided to try burning a DVD instead. Again using Easy CD Creator 5, I set it to create a data DVD. After burning I placed the DVD in the Mac, dragged the .dmg file to the desktop, and double-clicked it. It mounted flawlessly. This should work in the future should I, or anyone else, run into similar problems.

Now all I have to do is play around with it and see if Squeeze 4 was worth the trouble and expense. A couple of quick tests suggest that it might be pretty decent. I'll post more, and maybe some examples, after I play around a little more.

Mark, Allan, and Don...you were all correct. If I could have downloaded directly to my Mac I would have avoided all these problems, it simply didn't like the burned CD, perhaps because it altered original filenames to 8 characters. For whatever reason the alternative DVD was successful. Otherwise, I could have been looking at a very long download to the Mac, 50Mb at 56k...not a pretty thought!

I hope my hassles will help someone else down the road, especially someone who is cursed with cross-platform PC to Mac porting issues. Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions!
www.doubledogsvideo.com
video@doubledogs.com
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:11 AM   #7
Major Player

"Most compatible" probably meant DOS compatible and so it truncated the name and probably added Joliet compatibility for Windows 95 on up. You end up with all sorts of weird stuff happening in that situation. See if your CD burning software has a Mac/Windows Hybrid option. That might work better and prevent you from having to use DVDs to copy over files. Again, you could always use an ethernet cable and just hook the two machines together if they are close enough.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center