New Full Res XL2 footage online at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 9th, 2004, 04:18 PM   #1
Trustee

New Full Res XL2 footage online

I've posted a few more clips online at full resolution.

All were shot in 30p 16:9 with camera settings on default. Typically I used manual focus, white balance and exposure. Daytime shots around the convention center, (cycling, wide shots, stairs) were on a tripod, All other footage is hand held.

Dusk shots were shot with a polarizing filter mistakenly attached to the lens, so you can expect 1.5 stops more range than what I'm showing here. Most of this footage was shot at 1/60 f3.2 gain 0-6.

This clip is shown in 720x480 dimensions...if you want to view it in 16:9: Open quicktime >movie properties>video track>size. Click adjust. Grab the corner of the frame (should be highlighted red) until the dimensions read 480 x 960. Click done.

http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing16.html

The previous posted clips are now at:

http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/FileSharing15.html

This is the same file as before except that it has been compressed (see below). It is stretched in preview to 16:9...if you want to view it in native dv format (it will look sharper): Open quicktime >movie properties>video track>size then click normal.

Both files have been compressed minimally from the native DV. I've lost very little in the process, although some of the finest detail appears crisper in the native dv file.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 04:26 PM   #2
Warden

Barry, is it OK if I mirror your download at my dot mac account, to take part of the load off of your account?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 04:27 PM   #3
Trustee

Jeff,

thanks...please do.

Barry
Old September 9th, 2004, 04:28 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I can do that too, if need be... just give the word.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 04:38 PM   #5
Warden

It's uploading now, I'll have a link in a few minutes.

Here is the link to the new San Diego XL2 footage on the download page. If you have difficulty downloading from the above page, right click on a PC or Control click on a Mac when you get to the download link.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 06:53 PM   #6
Major Player

You've got to be kidding?!?! That looks incredible!!!!
I got 20-13 vision maybe it looks better to me but that
floored me, and 30p?
Michael Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 07:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

When i try to play this .mov quicktime says that the required compressor could not be found.

Can anyone help??!!>>??

tHANKS,

kevin
Old September 9th, 2004, 07:31 PM   #8
Trustee

Kevin,

I used the mpeg4 codec on this...so if you haven't upgraded to QT 6.5....now would be a great time!!

Barry
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:31 PM   #9
Regular Crew

ive got it working now, thanks. but now i cant make it into 16x9 ratio. i did what you said to above, but i dont see an adjust button or anything so that i can change the ratio.

any suggestions?

thanks
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:37 PM   #10
Trustee

Are you using qt pro...if so make sure you are in the video track submenu..(there is also a "size" in the parent menu).

Barry
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #11
New Boot

Thanks so much for the footage, Barry. I literally check back every ten minutes hoping for new tests, and just know that we all appreciate them VERY much.

And of course, it looks great. And just makes me want to save my money faster (if that is possible).
Jeff Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:59 PM   #12
Major Player

That footage looks like extremely clean video. Lets see more 24P, 1/48 material please.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:19 PM   #13
New Boot

Yes some 24p/cinegama footage would be nice, i have PLENTY of webspace and traffic if needed as i run a webhosting business :) PM if needed.
Tre Stylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:46 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Holy crap. I'm at a loss for words. The footage I've seen until now looked great but this is absolutely beautiful. Gorgeous, stunning, amazing, magnificent, spectacular, awesome...you name it. This is it. Thank you Barry for this...I feel slightly more complete after seeing that footage and finding out what my next video camera will be. I see an advantage of owning an XL2 along with my XL1s.
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:00 PM   #15
Wrangler

Barry,

Thanks for that footage. I feel much more comfortable about what tomorrow's UPS man is bringing. For some reason, I couldn't get smooth playback but the images were nothing short of breathtaking. I even noticed the insects near the floating flowers. I have QT Pro ver 6.5.1 which is the latest. Maybe my mpeg4 decoder isn't up to snuff. Running on a 1ghz P3 may not be quick enough.

Again, breathtaking, stunning, and all those other adjectives that I can't think of right now.

Thanks again,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders