DV-PC Recorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 10th, 2004, 06:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DV-PC Recorder

Has anybody downloaded and tried the DV-PC Recorder that the manual or leaflet talks about. I have search over the www.canondv.com website for it without any luck. I went to www.canon.ca.dc-pc_recorder and downloaded it but when trying to install it it errors out. Tried downloading it several time and still get the same error message. Looking for the English version.
Hart Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2004, 09:29 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

U.S. customers will get this software when they register for the XL2 owner's club. Don't know if it's good for all of North America, though. In my opinion it should be.

I've tried DV-PC Recorder and in a few days I'll be adding an article to the Watchdog about using it in event video production environment. So stay tuned.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2004, 12:16 AM   #3
Wrangler

Chris,

I thought also that you had to register for the owner's club to get the software. However, one of the included leaflets leads one to believe that anyone can go to the listed URL and download it. I haven't tried to yet. I'm still giving the owner's manual a good read.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2004, 06:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have tried to find the online registration for the XL2 but can only locate the XL1 registration. The form says you can either send it in via snail mail or online. Has anyone found the online registration for the XL2?

Looking forward to your review of the software.

THanks
Old September 11th, 2004, 07:16 AM   #5
Wrangler

Can't find it either. If a go to canondv.com the browser just gets redirected to the Canon consumer home page. The only mention of DV-PC is a comment on it in the features page of the XL2. I could find no sign of the Owner's Club or the software.

I've never had to use Canon support...I hope this isn't reflective of their usual service!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2004, 08:44 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Well, maybe they've changed their minds since they initially told me about this. Can anybody get the download to work yet?

Old September 11th, 2004, 09:12 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Chris,

I have to ask as it appears you have the software and will post a review shortly....Can I get a copy? If not I understand but I am most curious if you have to record to tape and a PC at the same time. One of the benefits Canon list is the ability to break the time barrier of tape and I have an event coming up that is 6 hours straight through.

You can download the software from: http://www.canon.ca/dv-pc_recorder/

but I get the following errors when I try to install it:

DVPCR_V1000.exe Unexpeted EOF
WinSFX32 Could not install.

It appears that the file is corrupt.

Thanks
Old September 11th, 2004, 11:40 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Currently I do not have a copy of DV-PC Recorder.

But I've used it before, briefly, once. I'm not sure if you must have a tape in to start recording with it, but the beauty is that you can replace a tape while it's running. The focus of my article will be how to seamlessly change tapes during event videography, using DV-PC Recorder.
  • Roll Tape 1
  • Approach end of Tape 1, start DV-PC Recorder
  • Video written to Hard Drive while you change tapes
  • Roll Tape 2
  • Close DV-PC Recorder
That's the idea anyway. Don Berube and I tried this out one time and it worked just fine.

Old September 11th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #9
Regular Crew

What exactly is DV-PC Recorder?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #10
Regular Crew

DV-PC Recorder is a software program that enables you to record on the tape in the camcorder and on a computers hard drive by connecting a camcorder equipped with the DV CONTROL function to a computer using a IEEE1394 (DV) cable.

This allows you to start editing the video on the computer right after recording (no transfer time) and it is my understanding that you break the time barrier of the tape and are limited by the hard drive capacity (4 hr 30 minutes on 60GB hard drive).
Old September 11th, 2004, 05:51 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Finally found the software and manual at:

http://www.canon-europe.com/xl2/Firm...ageID=222801#1
Old September 11th, 2004, 10:59 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Hart, Don't most computers that have firewire (IEEE 1394) already have the ability to load video? My Gateway came with Pinnacle software for simple stuff but it is a very easy way to just load video other than using Premiere that is also on the same machine. From the way you put it, it sounds like there is editing software on the computer. This means you should be able to record to tape and load onto the hard drive simultaneoulsy with the editing software your describing. I can do the very operation that your describing now without the DV-PC software. Other than this, you could use Firestore. What is the scenerio that would require this software you're talking about?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2004, 11:06 PM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

The advantages of DV-PC Recorder are that it:

a. writes an edit-ready AVI Type I or Type II file, and

b. is controlled by the camera itself

Its primary elegance is in its simplicity and ease of operation. A shooter can use it in production out in the field without getting too distracted by a more complex NLE interface. It's just a capture utility, basically. A poor man's FireStore.

Old September 12th, 2004, 06:00 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Chris is right in that the camera controls everthing and is a poor man's Firestore. Other solutions for capturing video require you to control everything from the computer. I am hoping to use the software to capute the video as I usually have my laptop on shoots and will be looking at the FireStore FS-4 when it is released in December for a more mobile solution when required.
Old September 12th, 2004, 11:47 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Okay, I understand now. Don't computers that have firewire come with something that can capture, like Movie Maker or something else? That Pinnacle software that I mentioned came bundled with my PC and is crap by the way, but is perfect for an easy way to capture the video which is the only reason I use it. I could use Premiere's capture but it actually takes a few more seconds to prep and believe it or not, it drops frames on extended loads whereas the Pinnacle does not. Why is everything so backwards!? Go figure that one out. I'm pretty sure it's because of the 5400 RPM drive and Premiere's requirements though.
James Emory is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders