Bunch of clips from my recent works at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old September 22nd, 2004, 12:18 AM   #1
Wrangler

Bunch of clips from my recent works

Here are a bunch of clips from recent works. Thank you Chris Thomas for the webspace.

How I compile my dance footage throughout the night (Wedding Videography):
http://www.dv-help.com/g.elliott/Gen...%20Montage.mpg

This peice served as a Bridal Prep AND Intro to a recent project:
www.dv-help.com/g.elliott/Bridal_Prep_Intro.mpeg

This peice was used as an opening for a Nurses Day Ceremony at my day-job:
http://www.dv-help.com/g.elliott/HSA...g Vignette.mpg

The hightlight vignette from my most recent project:
http://www.dv-help.com/g.elliott/Gen... Vignette2.wmv
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 02:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Great clips Glen, thanks for that definately a few pointers in there that I appreciate. I think it's good that we learn from each other and share ideas. Though I have been using video for many years, I'm just starting out in weddings and need all the help I can get. So again thanks for sharing. It helps us all to improve the cimematography and production of the industry.

I will post some of my work here when I think I have anything good enough!

Just one thing that struck me though, about half way through the Bridal Prep one, there is a nice close up of the 'bell'. Now if I'm not mistaken this is just under the cross on the church roof. How the heck did you manage the shot, without being at an oblique angle, did you climb onto the roof?

Chrome
Association of Professional Videomakers (UK) www.apv.org.uk
Megalith TV www.megalith.tv
Stephen M. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:55 AM   #3
Wrangler

<<<--
Just one thing that struck me though, about half way through the Bridal Prep one, there is a nice close up of the 'bell'. Now if I'm not mistaken this is just under the cross on the church roof. How the heck did you manage the shot, without being at an oblique angle, did you climb onto the roof? -->>>

It's funny you mentioned that- I never even paid that shot much mind. The church entrance is raised up 12 or so steps. I shot it diagonally from the top of the church steps. I'm suprised you didn't mention the chandaleer shot and/or overhead table shot in the "Genna Highlight Vignette2".

You should come on over to the Event/Wedding forum here at DVinfo. I originally posted most of these pieces there. Look forward to seeing your work. Take care...
Old September 22nd, 2004, 01:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Well I have occasionally 'lurked' the Event/Wedding forum Glen, but intend to contribute when I have more to say on issues directly associated.

Though I'm a bit of a 'noob' when it comes to weddings, I'm not a video newcomer; I picked up my first camera in about summer 1981 :) Though was only really amateur until late 90's. I have been mainly involved in gaming and promotional work for the last 5 years or so as director/producer/camera/editor as lead creative designer in a small creative department in London. But now I'm setting up for myself and hope to be doing a lot of weddings.

I had noticed those other shots you mention of course (very nice too they were), and I kind of assumed that unless you were using some sophisticated grip (unlikey at a wedding really) then you had perhaps stood on a chair or something.

I might think of attempting that with my PD170, but unlikely with a DSR500 or DV500's, as I would probably drop them if I held it at that angle!

The only critisism have (if you don't mind that is?) is that I thought the hospital montage was just getting going when it stopped. I was really getting into your 'story' and was getting the messages that I felt you were trying to get accross and then... black. I think it would have been nice to see some of the staff in action showing them as a caring 'community'. Perhaps a nurse 'plumping' up a pillow for a patient, or a doctor rushing down a sunlit corridor with his clip board in hand and stethoscope and white coat flapping in his haste (in slowmo of course).

All the best...

Chrome
Association of Professional Videomakers (UK) www.apv.org.uk
Megalith TV www.megalith.tv
Stephen M. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 02:33 PM   #5
Wrangler

<<<--
I might think of attempting that with my PD170, but unlikely with a DSR500 or DV500's, as I would probably drop them if I held it at that angle!-->>>

Well Loi from www.BlueCoreMedia.com shoots with a DSR-550 and his work is fantastic. Though I do agree...handhelds are much more condusive to this style.

<<<---The only critisism have (if you don't mind that is?) is that I thought the hospital montage was just getting going when it stopped. I was really getting into your 'story' and was getting the messages that I felt you were trying to get accross and then... black. I think it would have been nice to see some of the staff in action showing them as a caring 'community'. Perhaps a nurse 'plumping' up a pillow for a patient, or a doctor rushing down a sunlit corridor with his clip board in hand and stethoscope and white coat flapping in his haste (in slowmo of course).--->>>

Those are very good ideas. This video was just of the ceremony itself. So I had to work with the footage I had. I actually had a tough time getting clearance to shoot on the grounds and get the landscape shots, yet alone going into the hospital to shoot the staff. It also was meant to be a sort of dramatic slow- precurser to the event...hence the empty tables, and plaques, etc... Thanks for the input - greatly appreciated.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 04:57 PM   #6
Trustee

Darn... Bandwidth exceeded... Maybe tomorrow? ;)
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2004, 10:43 PM   #7
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by George Ellis : Darn... Bandwidth exceeded... Maybe tomorrow? ;) -->>>

Check again- they should be accessable now.
Old September 24th, 2004, 01:23 AM   #8
Wrangler

Hi Glen, thanks for posting the examples, very well done. I was wondering what technique/method did you use for these wedding shots:

1. The sun flare
2. Vignetting
3. And the clouds moving quickly over the cross

Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 01:48 AM   #9
Trustee

Glen
I particularly liked the wedding vignette - excellent selection of images and editing. Your slo-mo is sooo smooth. What programme produced that???

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 09:32 AM   #10
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Wisniewski : Hi Glen, thanks for posting the examples, very well done. I was wondering what technique/method did you use for these wedding shots:

1. The sun flare
No effects- it was a natural occurence when the sun hits the lens directly.

2. Vignetting
Added a oval (black to transparent) matte, blurred it, and lowered it's opacity.

3. And the clouds moving quickly over the cross
Locked the tripod down on the subject for 3-5 minutes- sped it up in post. The movment (slow zoom) was added in post.
Old September 24th, 2004, 09:34 AM   #11
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson : Glen
I particularly liked the wedding vignette - excellent selection of images and editing. Your slo-mo is sooo smooth. What programme produced that???

Robin -->>>

Vegas 5. It's the NLE with the best slow motion interpolating...so I'm told.

Thank you.
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:14 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Chris, I've just watched the excellent Genna Highlight Vignette2 - how long did that take to edit, and how many properly manned cameras did you have?

Thanks

Jon
Jonathan Nicholas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work