Need some lights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old September 21st, 2004, 07:24 PM   #1
Trustee

Jason I am looking for some good 2k fresnel and 650 tweenie lights used..ideas? I was over at the local light shop here and they seem to be a good source...I am buying 26 feet of standard dolly track and they have a Arri 650 knockoff for about $400 each....
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2004, 07:44 PM   #2
Trustee

Hey Obin,

Actually, if you can find one, a good set of very powerful but low wattage lights are some new Dedolight PAR 400's. Bascially at 400W's they have the same photometric data as a 1.2K HMI PAR, which is really good, especially when you can put a couple on single house circuit without blowing the fuse (unlike a 2K fresnel).

Not too sure where a good place for used lighting might be locally. Chances are there are much better used shops down there than up here. On the internet you might want to try Mandy.com or visualproducts.com.

Hope that helps.
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2004, 07:47 PM   #3
Trustee

Tell me about this new light....how does it work? spread? pattern? is it hot?
Old September 21st, 2004, 07:51 PM   #4
Trustee

BTW, just looked up the price . . . $5K!

Never mind, I've heard some great stuff about this light, but that's kind of expensive, I'm sure more than you were planning on spending.

If you can find some though, you'll get more light out of a 1.2K HMI PAR, which again, you can get two lamps on a normal house circuit. You should be able to find those pretty cheap. The only thing about them is that they are daylight balanced, so you'll need a full CTO to get them to tungsten, but even with the CTO, they're brighter than a 2K Tungsten Fresnel.
Old September 21st, 2004, 07:57 PM   #5
Trustee

Ok I have been reading..that is a mini sized HMI with a new focus system it looks like?

I don't think we can afford that system right now..do you have any idea what they go for Jason? I was thinking of getting 4 650 tweenies 2 2k open face to go along with our 2 1k redheads and 2 1k Altman Fresnel lights..dunno but this seems to me it would be a good "basic" package for us to shoot most projects with..I also have 4 Kino 4foot banks

So our package would be:

2 1k redheads - openface
2 1k Altmans - Fresnel
4 650w tweenies - fresnel
2 2k Blond's - open face
4 4foot KinoFlows

that would work for most stuff don't you think?
We jsut bought a new trailer 12x7 with ramp on back and tall enough to stand and walk inside

I have placed an order for 26foot of CineTrack and I made some production carts for hauling gear in and out along with a Dolly holder on wheels
Old September 21st, 2004, 07:59 PM   #6
Trustee

BTW, have you ever played with a PAR before? I'm assuming you have, but if not, they are very nice lights. They have a lens on the front, and you can add different lenses for different spread patterns. A typical PAR is the ARRISUN PAR, which at 10m puts out 33,000lux w/o a lens. Quite a bit of light! Your typical Junior 2K puts out around 2,000 lux at 10m, so you can see the difference!
Old September 21st, 2004, 08:01 PM   #7
Trustee

Okay, just read your last post,

yah, you'll probably want to add a 1.2K HMI PAR in there, will make for a great "ambient" room light when bounced off a wall or something of that nature. Again, at 33,000 lux @ 10m, there's a lot of light coming out of that fixture, and you can really light up a whole room with just one of those, and then use your 650's and 1K's for a key/fill, etc.

You can get older ones for a relatively cheap price on the used market-and it'll be worth it, since it'll give you the light of a couple Junior 2K's-the only caveat again being that it's not tungsten balanced, so you'll need a full CTO on them to get them to match other tungsten sources-but even then it's more light that a 2K Fresnel.
Old September 21st, 2004, 08:14 PM   #8
Trustee

4k HMI on ebay for $429..that ia shit light or?

type in HMI in ebay
Old September 21st, 2004, 10:18 PM   #9
Trustee

That unit's been in storage for the last two years, even the seller doesn't know if it works (and if it does, you'd need a $$$ generator to test it out). A more typical price for a used 4K HMI fresnel is that one that is going for the "buy it now" price of $4,500. But the fresnels are nowhere near as bright as the PAR's.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 10:50 AM   #10
Major Player

Pyramid Films routinely liquidates older lights on eBay. They have a couple of sub-$1000 HMI units on there now.

I got a couple of Ianiro 1Ks from them last year for a song, and they've worked great for me.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 11:52 PM   #11
Major Player

Hey Obin. You better include a heavy duty generator to fire up all that lighting equipment, because the 2K lamps alone are going to trip your breakers.

Why do you need all this firepower? Are you lighting sets? It's way more light than you would ever need to light interior rooms, and it's a lot of heavy gear to lug around unless you have a grip truck in your budget. Plus, you need light stands, C stands, flags, nets, blah, blah, blah.

And all that light puts out a tremendous amount of heat, even assuming you are not using all the lights at one time.

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management