Online Photo classes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old September 22nd, 2004, 11:53 PM   #1
Warden

Online Photo classes

One of the schools I teach at will be offering online classes, at the college level, starting in January. They will include basic photo classes, PS CS and Elements, B & W photo etc., seven different classes in all. These classes will be available to anyone with broadband access. They will be 6 weeks in length, but some, such as the PS classes may be 8 weeks. More advanced classes will be offered in the spring as class rosters grow. Costs will be approximately $100 USD for the photo classes and $150 USD for the PS classes. College credit may be available, but can't be confirmed at this date. If credit is available, those electing credit will pay a much higher fee. A certificate of completion will be offered and may be suitable for reimbursement from many employers. I'm looking into discounts for DV Info members, but no promises.

I'm interested in any and all feedback and impressions on online courses. Have you ever taken any, why or why not? If you can offer any suggestions or comments please do so, either here or via email. Thanks for your assistance in this matter.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2004, 02:09 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Sounds quite interesting Jeff, depending ofcourse on the content
of these classes. I assume students can e-mail with their tutors
and you get assignments with you need to e-mail in for grading
and such?

Interesting idea!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2004, 12:21 PM   #3
Warden

Each class will have their own forum, similar to this. Only registered students for the class and the instructor can access the forum. Students can post questions, comments etc. to interact with each other and the instructor. Once or twice a week the instructor is in a private chat room the students check into to have live interaction with each other and the instructor.

Assignments are down loaded every Wednesday and are due in two Sundays, giving the student about 10 days to complete the assignment. Assignments consistent of reading material in the form of pdf.'s, links to articles on the web for discussion and photo projects. The photo projects are emailed to a separate box and the instructor critiques and makes comments on each image. Comments and suggestions about each image are returned to the student via email. Select images, with the instructors comments, are posted in the forum for all the students to see and make additional comments.

The printed material consists of between 500 and 1000 pages of tutorials (in the form of pdf's), notes, guides, work flows etc. as they pertain to each class. The PS class will contain a 400 page ebook on PS and workflow. Some of the classes will contain QuickTimes that can be download or viewed on the screen. These may be PowerPoint lectures, actual classroom lectures, or slide shows with audio commentary on each image.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2004, 02:20 PM   #4
RED Code Chef

That gives a good feeling, that it has been worked out thoroughly.
Good to here Jeff! What are the requirements on the tools you
need (software and a camera?). I might sign up if I have the
stuff I need. Always wanted to do some more with photographing.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2004, 02:35 PM   #5
Wrangler

I've always been curious about online classes and how they work. Is there anything on the web with more detail? I'm more interested in the intereaction between student and teach and how it works.

Will you be teaching these Jeff?
Old September 23rd, 2004, 08:34 PM   #6
Warden

This will be the first series of art classes the school offers online (and probably the only ones). I don't see how they could do pottery, painting etc. online. The school sees us offering 10 to 15 different photography and PS classes by this summer. Nothing as of yet is up on the web promoting the programs, but should be in the next month or so.

I'll be teaching several of the classes, but exactley which ones are not determined as of yet. More than likely I will teach the PS and PS Elements classes as well as one or two others.

No specific cameras will be required. Film camera users will need to have scans made of their images, so they can upload the assignments. Because of the large use of images, a broadband internet connection is considered a must. The photo classes can be completed with any software because the major emphasis will be on composition, exposure, lighting etc. and not manipulation Microsoft Picture It would be fine. Either of the Adobe programs, Photoshop (preferably 7 or CS, however 6 may work) of Photoshop Elements 2 or 3 would be fine.

Students have access to the forums 24/7 during the length of the course. A certain number of posts will be recommended for each week. Those seeking college credit will be required to make a certain number of posts. The instructor may be contacted via the forum and the instructor is required to answer all posts directed to him etc. The instructor will comment in other threads as necessary or appropriate.

The Chat Room will be open one or two times per week and the instructor must be online during those times. Again, students will not be required to participate in the chat, but are strongly urged to do so. Those seeking college credit will have mandatory requirements.

The instructor's private email will also be available should the students need to contact him off list.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements