Please-Good place to buy PAL XL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 7th, 2004, 06:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Please-Good place to buy PAL XL2?

Dennis suggested BH Photo to me, but it seems that they don't carry it.

Is there any other reliable place in North America selling it?

Are the European places very expensive?

Would www.expandore.biz be a good choice? People seem to have had good experience with them, from what little I've seen. They're from Singapore. Are there different kinds of PAL?

Has anyone from the US bougth a PAL from overseas? What percentage import tax do you have to pay customs?

Thank you very much!

(Also, I've posted a DP job offering in the Helping Hands forum, if anyone's interested)

Alex
Alex Cano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 06:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hey, Alex. I live in Belgium, PAL land, and I can state that it won't be cheap for you to buy it here. Here it states (at some places) at 5000 euro. But if I'm not mistaken, euro is 1.2 dollar, so it would be very expensive for you. (I guess that being 6000 dollar, EXCLUDING IMPORT TAXES AND SHIPPING COSTS)

I think you should follow the advice of Dennis, and ask in B&H. Have you already mailed them with your question?
I know I saw a PAL XL1S once on their site, so try if they can get a PAL XL2. Really, buying overseas will be very expensive for you, especcially if you count on the shipping costs + import taxes.
IF you would buy overseas, I could maybe advice Germany, because they have a lower taxe rate.Example: here in Belgium some shops selled the XL1S (still!!!) for 4200 euros, being 5040 dollars. Germany sells the XL1S new in a shop that has a good reputation at 3200 euros. So that's the difference. (I think the shop is www.top-photo.de or www.top-foto.de).

But I really think you should ask in B&H. Maybe they don't have one now, but I'm pretty sure you can order one. It will be very much cheaper and better.

(BTW, it sucks living here, I see many items being MUCH cheaper at B&H, but it's mostly hard to buy there from here, because if you include shipping costs and possible customs, it's many times the same expense)

Good luck with searching, and the XL2 PAL!!
bye
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 09:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I bought our PAL XL-2 from Expandore and am quite happy with the experience. Do do your homework and verify how the warranty will work for you wherever you are as you will most likely want to take out the Mack warranty.

http://www.lizardlounge.com
Chris Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 04:42 AM   #4
Major Player

I am told that in Hong Kong they sell it for HK$27,000.
Valeriu Campan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:37 PM   #5
Trustee

I've heard good things (i.e. know someone who has bought from) expandore without a problem.

Aaron
Old November 9th, 2004, 07:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I just made the order with expandore.com

I'll let you know how the transaction goes, and also how much I'll have to pay customs, so everybody knows. (I have no idea how much I'll have to pay! I'm biting my nails just in that front!)

Alex
Old November 10th, 2004, 06:21 PM   #7
Trustee

Customs is usually just your state taxes on top. Well at least that's how it works here in Canada. Customs will look at the commercial invoice included with your shipment and base the tax on that amount.

So you decided to go with the PAL version afterall? Let me know when you need help with your conversions.

Best of luck!
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 02:46 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey, Dennis! Yeah, I've been meaning to e-mail you, just have been busy with some prep, I'm going to Mexico next week, but I decided to go for the PAL, can't wait to get my hands on it...

Talk to you later!

Alex
Old November 15th, 2004, 07:56 AM   #9
Tourist

I just bought from expandore.biz, arrived via UPS today in good condition. Am now buying a Mack warranty at qualitycamera.com.au and all is well :)
Matt Emery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders