Commercials shot with XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 18th, 2004, 10:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Commercials shot with XL2

Hey guys, I recently shot two ads using the XL2. I am really impressed with the camera. Check this link out and let me know what you think.
Thanks!

http://goroommating.com/go_movie_jack.htm
http://goroommating.com/go_movie_granny.htm

Please be advised that the ads are a bit twisted in humor.

Kevin,
Kevin C. W. Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

So do tell.
Lighting secrets?
Camera settings?
Just you or a big crew?
Film lenses?
DO TELL!!!!

Cheers!
Luke Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

well, regarding the shoot. It was pretty small scale. we only had a skeleton crew to work with and you know what? The XL2 worked so great we didn't need any of the filters or even the manual lense we rented just in case.

I was especially impressed with the picture clarity and also the preset focus/zoom function on the camera. It made life a lot easier when operating.

Thanks for checking it out!

Kevin,
Old November 19th, 2004, 08:53 AM   #4
Major Player

Funny commercials. Are those going to show on Canadian television? With the FCC cracking down and the "moral" revolution going on right now in the US, those could never be shown on regular television here.

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 09:41 AM   #5
Regular Crew

FCC

Hey Tony,

Glad you like them. The are for sure pretty 'out there' in terms of level of moral acceptance. But in any case, these are meant to be internet commercials only, so that FCC thing is not our biggest concern. That's the beauty of it all. haha.

Thanks again for checking it out, please tell others about the link.

www.Goroommating.com

Kevin,
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #6
Tourist

STOCK XL2?

Kevin,

Great look to the commercials! Just to confirm, you were simply using a stock XL2 with the 20x lens? No fliters or other add-ons?

Thanks for the samples!

Brandon
Brandon Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:45 PM   #7
Regular Crew

WOW!! Those look great.....They are pretty disturbing though, the 2nd one really...The first one reminds me of my college days......hahahha
Greg Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:09 AM   #8
Regular Crew

They look great. What did you do in post? Very impressive.
Hayden Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:15 PM   #9
Trustee

excellent. i always like how creative people can tell/show something about the characters in the shots in a span of a few minutes. excellent work. was it 24p?
Old November 24th, 2004, 07:13 AM   #10
Trustee

Kevin, both of these were great. I loved the quality of the shouts. The lighting in the second one was impressive. Also, the situations were really fun to watch. Thanks for shareing. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 09:48 AM   #11
Regular Crew

some answers from me

Hey guys,

Thanks for checking it out and commenting on the spots. Your kind words are real encouragement to me and our team putting this stuff together.

Regarding the post/specs on these spots, it was 24p 2:3:3:2 shot with no filters, standard lense, and a little bit of cleanning up in Combustion. The footage quality was clean, so I really didn't have to do too much in terms of noise management in post. I think cannon has a really great thing going for them with this XL2.

Thanks again and please let me know where to check out some of your stuff done with the XL2.

Kevin,
Old November 24th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #12
Major Player

Looked at them again and laughed harder the second time. It just makes me feel so proud that I own the same camera!
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 09:28 PM   #13
New Boot

Nice Work Kevin.

I've seen people out here in Los Angeles with full film crews, 35 mm cams and full lighting rigs who couldn't get the lighting quality that you got. As ffar as setings, itt's obviously 24 p, but did you use the film grain setting on the camera or did you shoot it entirely clean but with the cine-curve setttings on.

Also, very funny.

Questtion: what did you use as light sources? They looked excelent.

best,
Drew
Drew Daywalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2004, 12:43 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Great stuff buddy. Would love to know some of your camera settings ...

- Ray
Old November 25th, 2004, 07:17 AM   #15
Regular Crew

replying drew

Hey Drew,

Thanks for the kind words regarding lighting, I am quite surprised to see that it worked out the way it did because the apartment had all white walls and ceilings, we really had to busy it up with props and furnitures to make it shootable. To answer your question, we used very simiple lights actually, just a couple of 4x4 kinos and some practicals on dimmers. Actually very textbook. I am happy to know that the camera was very subtle in gradation. It gave the lighting a nice 'falloff' which add to the depth.

Regarding camera settings, it's 24p, however when I thought about using the film grain and curves, I decided against it on this project since I was planning on colour correction in Combustion from the start. I think the grain and curves tools are excellent, but probably best used when you don't have a lot of time in post. I usually like to keep things as keep as I can in the footage.

Anyway, thanks again for checking it out. Your encouragement is much appreciated too.

Kevin,
Kevin C. W. Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders