I-O Glasses for Jib Operation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 23rd, 2004, 08:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I-O Glasses for Jib Operation

Has anyone ever used any portable i-glass devices to use with their jib-arm instead of a portable TFT/LCD monitor attachments?

I'm thinking about purchasing one but I'm not sure if it's good or not. Any comments? I think they will be good for anti-glare since it's right up to your eyes and you see a 34-76" image (depending on the glasses) right infront of you!

That would be cool with those big swooping crane movements!

http://www.i-glassesstore.com/

http://mp3playerstore.com/stuff_you_need/special/i-glasses.htm
Old December 24th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #2
Major Player

"That would be cool with those big swooping crane movements! "

Until you crash into something at warp speed.

I have never, repeat never, seen a professional jib operator use those glasses. But I have seen a number of jibs hit lights, monitors, the floor, and even dancers, because the jib operator is staring too hard at his monitor and not paying enough attention to what else is around him. You can ratchet up the disaster meter if you blind yourself by wearing those glasses. Bad idea.

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2004, 07:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

There are glasses with only a single translucent display over one eye. And for only a couple of hundred they aren't bad in price. The image won't be very high quality but if your only using it for steadicam or jib monitor preview they would work perfectly.
Mark Jervis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Really? What is the name of this device and where can I find it? How much? :)

Thanks,

Norm
Old December 25th, 2004, 02:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Wayne is right. I've had some close calls while watching my monitor too closely. I was very lucky a couple of times. Glasses would narrow your vision (peripheral vision) even further.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2004, 05:05 PM   #6
Sponsor: SkyCrane

Howdy and MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone...

I really felt as though I had to get my two cents worth in on this subject.

Wayne and James are absolutely correct!!! A jib operator should operate in an unobstructed area and never compromise the safety of the talent, crew, him or herself for lack of attention to the job at hand. Saftey is paramount...

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone.

Bob Jones / Skycrane
Old December 27th, 2004, 01:16 AM   #7
Major Player

igalsses

Norm,

I have used a pair of the i-Scape II HMD (head mounted display) with my indicam system but am leaning towards a different unit. I will be trying this new unit out at the Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas in Jan. I hope it will allow me to see better while I am doing steadycam shots. I'll post my findings when I get back.

Terry

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 11:12 AM   #8
Major Player

Don't do it! I've been asked about these a lot, so I finally found a pair and tried them out (knowing damn well what the result would be!). I was constantly bumping the crane into stuff (I was smart enough not to have any humans near-by!), and almost killed myself with the stabilizer. I've tried a lot of monitors with my various rigs. Know what I've been happiest with? This $20 B&W T.V. that takes batteries.

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 12:11 PM   #9
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Norm Li : Really? What is the name of this device and where can I find it? How much? -->>>

I've been using a relatively-new piece of headgear called Eyetop, which is basically an active-matrix LCD screen embedded into a pair of plastic sunglasses.

Complete info found at www.eyetop.net

I've got the Eyetop Classic.

Has adjustments for vertical and horizontal placement of screen in relation to your eye, and adjusts (minimally) for individual eye focusing.

Battery-powered. Plugs into your RCA video out. Has a little cigarette package size control box you wear on your belt.

Takes a bit of getting used to. Good only for seeing the overall framing of your shot. Can't be used for focusing (unless your eyes are WAY better than mine).

Once you get over trying to point each of your eyes in different directions (one watching the little monitor and the other watching where you're walking or moving to) it is a pretty handy little gadget, frees up your movements when using a stabilizer, and reduces your carrying weight by eliminating a monitor.

I paid $350 (I think) for them from 47th St. Photo in NY.

Enjoy!!
Ken Grohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #10
Major Player

eyetop classic

I too had a pair of Eyetop classics. I liked them as you could see where you are going through one eye and watch the camera output on the other. The only trouble I found in trying it with my stabilizer is that the cable from the camera to the control unit caused my system to go out of balance. Since I have a very touchy gimbal (which is good) any outside connection causes unwanted results.

You can find these HMDs (head mounted device) on ebay as well for around $330.00

Terry

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Jibs / Cranes / Booms