importing from DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old January 7th, 2005, 11:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

importing from DVD

Help please....
My brother had a "professional".... video his wedding. I would like to edit the dvd given to him and perhaps make it better than what he got. How can I capture or import from this dvd???

I use a PC and adobe premiere pro. The only file I see on the DVD is the VIDEO_TS and the IFO and ISO files using windows explorer.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old January 8th, 2005, 02:44 AM   #2
Major Player

Two things. First, whatever footage you get off of the DVD will have to go through another compression cycle after you re-encode the DVD for him. THis will result in inferior looking footage. Did the Videographer put on all of his unedited footage as well?
Two, as a part time wedding videographer (full time student) I would not appreciate anybody ripping my DVD and reusing my footage. That is why the DVD medium is so great, sure you can do it, but then it's going to look bad. The other bad thing about this is that I then have no control over what the footage looks like or how the wedding is edited. People will then ask, who did your wedding, the name will be stated, and the videographer has no control over what the final product looks like. This is no better than someone scanning your photo proofs and blowing them up to poster size without the photogrpahers permission.
Sure you can do it, but it is unethical. If you went to the videographer and asked him if you could use his footage to edit the wedding, I could see that. I'm sure he would say no, but at least it would be an ethical way of dealing with the situation.
So in recap, your footage will look worse than the original, and technically it is illeagal, just like downloading movies or stealing mp3's off the internet.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 06:26 AM   #3
Trustee

Without getting into the ethics of it doing so, there are tools that allow you to resequence mpeg2 video footage from a DVD without an decode/re-encode cycle - for example see http://www.womble.com/vcr-text.htm. You can also edit in native mpeg (e.g. on Premiere with the Mainconcept plugin).

The video footage on a DVD is contained in VOB files located in the VIDEO_TS directory: VOBs are an mpeg2 video stream plus one or more audio streams (mp2, pcm or ac3) plus some additional metadata for navigation between scenes, etc.

The files on commercial DVDs are encrypted to prevent copying, though that's probably not the case with a typical wedding video.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Re: Importing from DVD

Thank you for the responses. I was able to rip it from the dvd but there is video degradation so I just asked my brother for the original tapes that the videographer used. (Which I will use)

As far as being illegal.....I can understand the concern. My problem is that I am also a part-time wedding videographer and I cannot believe that my brother was charged so much money I believe around $2,500 for
- 30 mins. Love story (shown during the reception....great, funny video)
- Pre-ceremony / Ceremony / Reception (2 cam / 1 whole day)
- 8 weeks delivery for final edited video (3 dvd / 2 tapes)
- Additional charge for the original tapes (don't know the cost)

Final product is not what I expected for I charge much less than that and the quality of the footage is not even close to what I do. There is no feeling ...lack of close-up shots / tripod shots were crooked / footage was not up to par. Perhaps to somebody without the experience....they probably would have been happy with it. My opinion...videographer was too busy with other projects that they just slapped the video together, put effects here and there, put some music and bwa lah. Bad for our business and this is a relative of mine that I would really like him to treasure this precious moment.
Hhhmmmm....perhaps I should talk to the videographer first as suggested.

I would have shot the wedding myself but I was the best man and I could not have the other folks I normally work with do it since they also had other projects. Whether we do the wedding for free or charge an enormous amount of money (being it is our business) we should always strive to deliver something like Glen Elliots videos. (sorry to drop name) But I do believe that he does a excellent job. Enough said....thanks!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring