Something Fun - Who famous have you met and been excited about it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media
Let's talk about anything media related.

Old February 27th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #1
Trustee

Something Fun - Who famous have you met and been excited about it?

Hey all,

Ok, this is kind of silly. But, I thought it would be fun. Remember we did all those "Who's your favorite Director" things? This is like that...

When I was in LA earlier this month - I met Tim Burton at a Starbucks. It was really cool because I like his films. Now here's the thing - I've met a lot of famous people. I've lived in LA 2 different times and go out there often, so I've worked in many places where famous people are everywhere. However, no celebrities really excite me - unless they're someone I can remember from childhood. I saw Mickey Dolenz from the Monkees and it was the coolest...people like that I get all excited. But, I if I met some A-list actor on top right now I wouldn't care. It has to be someone that I grew up with like Don Knotts or some odd-ball like that.

MY QUESTION:

Who have you met that's famous that really got your excited? Also, what did you do?
Old February 27th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #2
Wrangler

I met Chris Hurd once!
Old February 27th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #3
Trustee

Lol, I might meet him in April at NAB. If I do I'm hoping to get an autograph...
Old February 27th, 2005, 04:07 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You mean "meet" as in shook hands and spoke to? Or "meet" as in "saw them in the same restaraunt I was in".
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 09:20 PM   #5
Wrangler

Wait a sec...
I meant...
Chris Hurd met *ME* once...!

:)
Old February 27th, 2005, 09:25 PM   #6
Major Player

I've met some celebrities for work before, as part of my job, and actually it was pretty exciting, but I've never met a celebrity of my childhood in everyday life. Not sure if my experience counts.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #7
Major Player

I met Johnny Cash and had dinner with him 2 nights in a row at a Denny's in Dallas, Texas many years ago. He was staying at the La Quinta of all places. I was just a teenager at the time and only knew of him because my dad was a big fan but he was the COOLEST person I've ever known. A really down to earth guy and a genuinely nice person. I'll never forget it and I have been a fan ever since.
I've met a few famous people but he would be the one that effected me the most. I also met Tom Cruise when they were filming "Born on the Forth of July", he was nice but Johnny is a legend.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 04:45 AM   #8
RED Code Chef

I've seen Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Rob Schneider (spoke two
sentences with him as well), Eddie Griffin, Oded Fehr and director
Steven Soderbergh when they where shooting Ocean's Twelve
end Deuce Bigalow 2 here. The only famous person I've actually
met (besides Rob above) is the Queen of my country *grin*

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 06:21 AM   #9
Capt. Quirk

Christopher- Meeting Tim Burton would have been hard for me to do. I also like most of his works... Except the last Batman movies. What's up with the rubber nipples Tim??? What were you THINKING!?!?!?!
Old February 28th, 2005, 07:24 AM   #10
Trustee

Those are some good responces! I mis-read "Johnny Cash" for "Johnny Carson" for some reason. As I was reading about your experience...I was like "what is Johnny Carson doing down in TX at a Denny's"?? Then I went back and realized it was "Cash"! That made more sense! lol

While working in the music business back in the mid-90's I was in LA working at some recording studios. I worked on sessions with Smokey Robinson and few other A-list talents from the past. There all sat down at the piano and started to bang out "If You Really Love Me" from Stevie Wonder - my hair stood up the entire time. The soul coming out of them in private was like nothing I'd ever experienced before - unbelieve able feel to the music they had. To this day musically - I know I witnessed something special. Barry Gordy Jr was there, Philip Baily, a few others from old Motown. I wish I recorded it on video, but I was an audio guy then.

Also, around the same time I worked with Andy Johns the producer and engineer. He's the guy who recorded "Stairway to Heaven", "When the Levee Breaks" and a bunch of other Led Zep. In addition to that - he recorded some of the greatest artists of all time. He recorded THE best records ever made...an unsung hero of radio. Check his discography: http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Andy%20Johns:1927073132

Anyway, he told stories that blew my mind. He showed me how he recorded "When the Levee Breaks"!! How cool is that? The greatest rock drum sound ever recorded!

Also, later on in 2000 I was in many places in LA that had celebrities...red carpets etc. I met so many golden age stars...that was cool. To many to list, but I'll tell you the 50+ age range stars have class and respect. Almost all the younger stars were obnoxious or rude. If you were giving them "face time" they'd suddenly be your friend. lol...
Old February 28th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I've met a number of hollywood type celebraties. But in terms of childhood heros... only one.

Neil Armstrong.

Met him in the little cantina on the flight line at Ellington Air Force Base in Houston. Must have been... '72 I think. He spoke to me. I was a cadet in the Civil Air Patrol. He noticed my uniform, which is an air force uniform except for the collar brass, and said. "You're a cadet, aren't you?" We talked for maybe ten minutes about his days as a cadet. I never asked him "What was it like to walk on the moon." I just listened to him talk about being a kid my age.

Still a good memory.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:12 AM   #12
Trustee

That's a good one...

While working here in NH at a broadcast television station WMUR-TV from 96' to '00 - I met a lot of people in politics because of the NH Primary. I've met GW Bush Jr. a few times. As a matter of fact - a sign of things to come....he stole my candy out of my office! To be fair, all the candidates took candy. But, he was pretty arrogant to me when walking by and I just know he took more than the others......lol, he's a jerk from what I've seen in person. So, as far as "most famous" - he's at the top. Not a cool experience considering what he's world famous for now.
Old February 28th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #13
Major Player

I've met tons of performers and musicians,
Stevie Wonder, Clint Black, Tim McGraw, Kansas, Ted Nugent (Really cool guy-good shot with a bow too!), Governors, Senators.
I have a story for you guys though....

So we were in San Diego for a company event there. Had about a thosand company people staying at a hotel and we were doing a big show at the convention center there.

My fellow-videographer and I were returning from shooting a dinner event, when who came up the walkway? None other than Jerry Lewis himself. I've been a huge fan since childhood! Loved his movies (except for his later stuff).

Now, having been in the business for a number of years, worked with a few people, and having heard some stories I knew better than to approach him--especially carrying professional video cameras. I'd heard some stories of how difficult he could be on a set.

I discreetly turned to my friend and whispered to him, " hey, check it out. It's Jerry Lewis!" To my horror, my young, inexperienced co-hort sprinted up to him "excuse me, Mr. Lewis. Mr. Lewis..." My mouth gaping, there was no time to stop him. Jerry had turned to him now with a scowl on his face.
"Mr. Lewis, Eddie Murphy re-did yopur movie 'The Nutty Professor', how did you feel about that?"
"Oh my god, what is he doing?" I thought to myself. Mr. Lewis got PISSED.
" I was executive Producer on that movie and was compensated very well. Who the hell are you and why are asking me stupid questions like that? You need to learn better than to ask me stupid questions like that!" Jerry Lewis was livid. He went on a little further with a few choice explicatives.
My coworker visibly shrank and backed away. I have no idea what possessed my co-worker to do that. Hopefully he'll be a little more carefui next time.

Jeff Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 10:17 AM   #14
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Forman : Christopher- Meeting Tim Burton would have been hard for me to do. I also like most of his works... Except the last Batman movies. What's up with the rubber nipples Tim??? What were you THINKING!?!?!?! -->>>

I don't think he actually had anything to do with that.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #15
Trustee

I ran across Vincent Gallo a year or so ago in a very dark alley in lower manhattan around midnight. I wasn't excited about it - mostly he was frightening. Those of you who know who he is, you can imagine what it was like to have him glare at you while lurking late at night in dingy lower manhattan.

Also just a week or so ago I almost bumped into Jeb Bush. Wasn't excited about that either. And even though he almost walked into me and I stopped and let him pass, he neither said thank you nor excuse me. Sigh. You'd think manners would come naturally to a politician. It wasn't even like he was busy or rushing at the time.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media