Sony's new flash players at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 13th, 2005, 05:31 AM   #1
Trustee

Sony's new flash players

Wonder if they have mic/line-in, like the irivers.

http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/5685
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 08:53 AM   #2

I don't believe this series offers any external input at all. The spec sheets say nothing about it, and the various pix I've seen don't show it. Probably too much to ask for in the sub $200.00 range.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 09:04 AM   #3
Trustee

<<<-- Probably too much to ask for in the sub $200.00 range. -->>>

Maybe for "Sony", but I just picked up an iRiver
flash player with mic-in and line-in for sub $100
(with rebate) new.
Old March 13th, 2005, 10:35 AM   #4
Trustee

Here's the one I got:

http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/ul...0/ifp_790.aspx
Old March 13th, 2005, 12:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Did you get a chance to play with your new toy?
If yes, could you tell us how far the iRiver can pick up voice in terms of feet (5, 10, 20 feet and etc.)?
Is the voice recording very clean? Thanks in advance Dave.

<<<-- Originally posted by Dave Largent : Here's the one I got:

http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/ul...0/ifp_790.aspx -->>>
Kevin Kwak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #6
Trustee

Not yet, Kevin.
From what I hear, it's not easy to set up. Have to
dig into a complex menu system. Someone
on here gave a step by step tutorial on how to set
it up.

Here's Jack Smith on set up (it's toward the
bottom of the page):

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ighlight=icons

I hear once you've set it up a couple times it's
not too bad.

Will you be using an external mic, or just the one
that is built in?
Old March 13th, 2005, 07:38 PM   #7
Major Player

Built in mic is not useful for much beyond keeping personal notes. But add a compatible lav or other mic, and it is a very cool device. Here is a link to a pic of my AT897 / iRiver setup. Make 100% sure you LOCK it once you have it set, as buttons have a big tendency to get hit easily and stop recording at wrong time. I was playing with this setup last night and forgot to lock it. I ended up with about an hour 10 of recording time, when I should have had 3 hours. Several of my "test" locations never even got a single sound at them, as I must have hit off button when I moved mic to new location. So I have more testing to do to get settings and location right for this mic. FWIW. I keep some music on the 1GB midel, and still have about 6.5 hours of recording time at max settings (44khx/384kbps)

My Setup

Be sure to test mic combos WAY ahead of time. Some lavs work great, others completely useless or require different settings.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 08:29 PM   #8
Trustee

John, nifty set up.
What do you use the 897/iRiver for? And what
volume level do you set on the iRiver?
How are the preamps? Get much hiss, or are they
pretty quiet?
Old March 14th, 2005, 12:52 AM   #9
Major Player

I have used iRiver with lavs and it works well. I am using 897 to have a "Band or bar option". Maybe even do some fun "Live from ...." recordings for my musician friends. They never get to hear what they sound like out in the audience. Once I get smarter, I may even try a stereo mic, but thought mono would be simpler at the start.

Still struggling with the settings. For a lav, mic setting at 55 seems to work well. Using AT897 inside a bar about 6 feet from a loud electric band, 30 seems to be correct. My big challenge is that because iRiver does not put out huge signal into headphones, you can't use headphones very well to monitor sound in a R&R bar environment. Ambient noise overwhelms anything coming from phones. It is hard to decide if there is clipping until you see the signal in Soundforge or can listen in quiet room. I started at 55 (which was seriously clipped and distorted), following visit 2 weeks later I used 40 and 35 (35 was okay with minor clipping, but will go to 30 next time.

I am still learning about AT897 mic, and this is a hard way to do it with no monitor capability. Placement is critical to good sound in the venue I have tried so far. Acoustics at inside bar suck, and trying to find places to avoid crowd noise forces me close to the band. They have an outside bar, but that is where I only got two samples last night. One was 10 feet in front of band, but inside the vocal speaker cone, so was too heavy on instrumentals. I had another location on the roof (7.5' up) which was above crowd, but I got too much drums and vocals were extremely flat and tinny. I am guessing because of completely open space the vocals just went off into space. No reverb at all. Compressing the signal in post helped bring up vocals some, but it was not a true reproduction of what the band sounded like. I am still playing with it. I am frustrated that two of my test locations got lost due to forgetting to lock it.

As you can see, these are all microphone issues, the iRiver itself is the least of my problems (as long as I can remember to lock the settings). I would rate it as quiet, but can't say for sure until I get settings and mic placement where I want them. But no noticable hiss during non-musical periods (to my ears).

The cool thing is that mic ends up being a little self contained unit, can stick it pretty much anywhere. I just don't think the 897 is the right mic to be using for music. I will try it again with a more "acoustic" type of band, and a couple of other venues in the next 30 days. Maybe someone can weigh in and suggest an affordable alternative mic for music. But for a hidden shotgun (stick it right on the stage?) it could be a great combination.
Old March 14th, 2005, 01:15 AM   #10
Major Player

Oh yeah, one caution. Always record in stereo mode, even with mono microphone.
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:30 AM   #11
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by John Galt : Oh yeah, one caution. Always record in stereo mode, even with mono microphone. -->>>

I've heard something about that. What happens if
you put it in mono mode?
Old March 14th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #12
Major Player

Nothing. :)

Wiring issue, you can fix it if you want to make special connectors. Everybody in the world puts mono on right channel wiring, except iRiver, which looks for mono signal on left side.
Old March 14th, 2005, 11:26 AM   #13
Major Player

Iriver report

I just used my iriver IFP-799 in production for the first time and hear is a short report.

I used to record some voice overs for a project. I have not had good luck using the mic preamp built in to my Iriver with the mics I have (too much self-noise) so I used the following set up.

A Rode NT-3 mic into a Rolls PM50sOB, Headphone out of the Rolls into the iriver, monitored the iriver from the iriver headphone out. The Rolls gave me a pre-amp and a nice dial for setting the input levels into the i-river. Unfortunately there is no good way to monitor the recording levels on the Rolls (other than by ear). I had the Rolls set at 44kz/192kps mono.

(iriver + Rolls = $260 investment)

I was very happy with the results. Quality was limited by some ambient noise and the charateristics of the mic, certainly not the iriver. I tired different settings on the input by varying the headphone out on the Rolls and found the iriver pretty forgiving. Even brief passages of heavily clipped audio sound much better than they look in Audition. Easy transfer to the PC. 13 hours of recording time--wow.

Find the sweet spot in terms of the input on this thing and clip it to a tiny mixer (pre-amp with meters and a limiter) and you would be all set.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #14
Trustee

Re: Iriver report

<<<-- Originally posted by Bill Ball : I just used my iriver IFP-799 in production for the first time and hear is a short report.

Find the sweet spot in terms of the input on this thing and clip it to a tiny mixer (pre-amp with meters and a limiter) and you would be all set. -->>>

Maybe something like this one:

http://www.professionalsound.com/cat...Promix%201.htm

I'd recommend the Sound Devices preamp, but
it doesn't have meters. The one thing I find
odd about the PSC unit is that there are no
specs (that I've seen) from the manufacturer
stating how much gain it offers. Wonder if that
means anything bad? It's priced the same as the
Sound Devices unit.
Old March 14th, 2005, 03:58 PM   #15
Major Player

FWIW, some mics work better with iRiver set to line-in instead of mic-in as source. I would work hard to not need a pre-amp. I like portable and small !!!
Bob Costa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio