Super-Sharp Shot in Gladiator... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old November 28th, 2002, 10:19 PM   #1
New Boot

Super-Sharp Shot in Gladiator...

I don't quite know exactly how they do this. There's a shot in Gladiator, the one where he's in the arena and a tiger comes out of the trap door and grabs at him. For the split second that the shot is on screen, it looks incredibly sharp, I don't really know how to explain it. It is used in other scenes of the film as well, and I think it's also used in music videos alot. How exactly do they do this?

-Ryoko
wiredryoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2002, 09:30 AM   #2
Wrangler

We were just talking about this over at:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ie+another+day

The effect is called a "skinny shutter"; in film it involves physically reducing the size of the shutter opening which ensures a shorter exposure for each frame, reducing motion blur in the image. Video cameras do the same thing by electronically limiting the amount of capture time for each frame. Going to a 1/250 setting on your camcorder will simulate the effect of a 45 degree shutter on a film camera, which is one of the more popular settings for this sort of effect (also see the scenes of "Saving Private Ryan" on Normandy beach)
Old December 8th, 2002, 01:00 AM   #3
Trustee

The picture quality on that film is very good, but you can tell that the native footage was interlaced and then deinterlaced with gaussian blur. I would still like to see the results of a well done film like that on the Panasonic 24p camera or on Canon frame mode.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2003, 08:26 PM   #4
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by peter0302 : The picture quality on that film is very good, but you can tell that the native footage was interlaced and then deinterlaced with gaussian blur. -->>>

Wha? This is a movie we're talking about here.

Nobody scans the negative in a feature, interlaces it, deinterlaces it, and then outputs back to film.

What are you talking about?

P.S. 250th shutter @24P on the DVX looks exactly like one would think...i.e. exactly like what a film camera does.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2003, 12:02 AM   #5
Wrangler

Boy, is this effect in vogue. Since this thread started, I must have seen the skinny shutter in five more films. There was a bit of it in "25th Hour" (also a large section of the film seems to have been shot with a 90 degree shutter which delivers a fairly subtle effect), plus some of the marching band sequences in "Drumline". I really liked how it was used in the latter (and not just because the DP is a friend of mine!), but that instead of the usual fight type action, it was used to augment and add excitement to the pageantry of the college marching band, cymbals flying through the air etc.
Old January 24th, 2003, 02:39 AM   #6
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Charles Papert : Boy, is this effect in vogue.-->>>

It's a cool look.

For me, it's just another way to add over-the-top energy to something without having to use a ton of cuts.

I have a music vid coming up where probably all of the performance will be hand held (on a dolly over bumpy dirt), medium to long lens, and the short shutter. It'll be a hair-raiser for sure.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2003, 09:00 AM   #7
Trustee

"What are you talking about?"

Was referring to the movie posted on the link - obviously not referring to Gladiator! :)
Peter Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production