My PD150P movie... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Techniques for Independent Production
The challenges of creating Digital Cinema and other narrative forms.

Old January 31st, 2003, 04:57 AM   #1
Major Player

My PD150P movie...

http://www.campslaughter.com

QuickTime required. I shot this film using a PD150P and an Optex 16x9 converter. It is 25p using Magic Bullet. This is the first official teaser trailer online. The final output is a 720p master via a CinéWave HD card. The film will be one hour fortyfive minutes. To be released this spring on DVD (Scandinavian theatrical distribution).
Old January 31st, 2003, 07:38 AM   #2
Trustee

Don't know if anyone else can see it, but every time I hover over the small/medium/large buttons I get a javascript popup error...
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2003, 07:51 AM   #3
Warden

No problem on my Mac. Plays fine and dowloads (large) in a minute or so.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2003, 08:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Direct link: http://www.campslaughter.com/Video/CSTrailer_768k.mov

Java has to be eabled in the webbrowser for the page to work properly.
Old January 31st, 2003, 08:37 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

I have the same problems Imran, javascript errors. Here are
the links to the different sizes:

Small http://www.campslaughter.com/Video/CSTrailer_56k.mov
Medium http://www.campslaughter.com/Video/CSTrailer_256k.mov
Large http://www.campslaughter.com/Video/CSTrailer_768k.mov

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2003, 08:43 AM   #6
RED Code Chef

Thanks for posting Martin! Looked very nice... Isn't Origin a
major company or am I mistaken with someone else?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2003, 09:45 AM   #7
Major Player

Perhaps are you thinking of Orion? They went bancrupt ten years ago. Other than that I think there are numerous companys called Origin Something over the world. We are probably the only ones producing feature films.
Old January 31st, 2003, 10:10 AM   #8
Warden

Yes, I forgot to say how great it all looks. The music especially fits the trailer. I'm looking forward to the DVD.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2003, 10:36 AM   #9
Wrangler

Re: My PD150P movie...

<<<-- Originally posted by Martin Munthe :

I shot this film using a PD150P and an Optex 16x9 converter.

That's very impressive! The aspect ratio doesn't look like 16:9 to me though. Did you crop it down, use the built-in 16:9 along with the adaptor, or what?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2003, 11:20 AM   #10
Major Player

I used the "double 16x9" method. Depending on the glass used (Optex or Century) it produces an aspect ratio of somewhere between 2:1 and 2,35:1. What you do is combine a 16x9 attachment and the in camera 16x9 setting. You later have to resize the footage in After Effects for the correct aspect ratio.

You loose a bit of sharpness using this method and you have to be smart in CC. The double 16x9 method is something you choose if your really into the 2,35:1 aspect ratio and composition. It severly limits your optics.
Old January 31st, 2003, 02:54 PM   #11
Wrangler

DV on the big screen

Aha, that's sort of what I suspected. It looks great on the web, but how's the sharpness when you blow it up? I have a VX-2000 and awhile ago I did some tests using the builtin 16:9 setting, then compared it to a regular image that was just cropped down. This has been discussed elsewhere too, but when I exported some stills into Photoshop I found that the cropped footage was actually a bit sharper than the builtin 16:9. Not a big difference, but noticeable.

Are you actually converting this to film and projecting it on a large theatre screen? How do you like the results? This whole topic interests me. I'm designing an opera in which we plan to use extensive video projections next fall. Just yesterday we rented a big monster 12,000 lumen DLP projector and set it up in the theatre to look at test footage. We were using a screen about 45 feet wide. Most of what we're doing consists of computer animation, but I compressed it all as DV and edited in FCP. People were impressed, but the DV compression is pretty extreme and noticeable to my eyes. Some things work better than others. I also tried projecting some footage from the VX-2000 that I shot during our performances. Again, I wasn't completely happy but several other people commented that it looked fantastic to them. When I projected some high res JPEG still images the results were really amazing. The native resolution of the projector is 1280x1024.

The projector we were using was a "Digital Projection Lightning 15sx". All I can say is "wow"! What an impressive unit... it is really BRIGHT. Even with the worklights and houselights on it was quite vivid. In the darkened theatre with stage lighting it was amazing. We use film projectors here all the time for slides. These are made by Ludwig Pani and have a 4000 watt HMI light source and a slide about 6" square. The DLP projector totally blew this away. Much brighter, more even field. The technician was telling me that you can get a cinema head for the same unit that allows you to use existing film projection lenses, and they used them to do the digital Star Wars movies in some cities. Here's a link to the specs:

http://www.digitalprojection.com/projectorsheets/tech_lightning15x.htm

They're kinda pricey, in the $100,000 range. It cost us about $5,000 just to rent it for the day and pay the technician, but longer term rentals are negotiable.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Techniques for Independent Production