XL1s abducted by aliens??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 5th, 2003, 10:28 AM   #1
Major Player

XL1s abducted by aliens???

I would be interested for anyone that can help me. I recently ordered a Canon Xl1s from a company that, as those who saw my order posting, screwed me and charged me for a camera they did not have. SO after open ended promises from www.nomatica.com I cancelled my order. After reading through camcorder magazines and internet sites I came across www.rgbdirect.com. I placed my order with them and they have not charged me, but I am still waiting for my camera - after a few weeks now, and teamed up with the other company I have no XL1s for months now. And the company says they may still be a week or two delay.

So is there a hugh problem with Canon at the moment? Has the world literally ran out of XL1s? or is the demand so high? I got an MA-200 that came after 2 days from OPTEX, so I have an MA-200 but no XL1s to even try it on!!!

I ordered the XL1s for £2199.00 does anyone know a website/company or indeed run their own company that has an XL1s (PAL version) NOW that I can buy for around that price? Or even on that will price match. Money is tight so I cannot really afford to go really higher, with Ext microphone, and other gear I need.

Or has some of you had this kind of experience and so its just one long wave you have to ride out waiting for weeks for XL1s to come into stock.
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 10:53 AM   #2
Warden

If you order from OpTex you'll get the XL1S just as fast as your MA-200. I've said it in the past and I'll say it again, the XL1S is available from reputable dealers and in an abundant supply. If you continue to seek out only the lowest prices, you'll continue to be disappointed. It's easy to have the lowest price when you don't have something in stock.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 11:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I agree with Jeff's statement. I did a lot of research on not only the camera itself but where I wanted to buy it from. It actually took me longer researching where to buy it than it did what to buy. At the prices of these camera I'd rather spend an extra couple hundered that to get a bad deal. Follow-up support means the difference between a good and bad deal. Check the sponsors of the board first then expand you research. Take you time and do it right the first time. I am more than please with the llocation I brought my camera from - matter of fact I've gone back to them for more "stuff".
Old March 5th, 2003, 10:36 PM   #4
Wrangler

The best advice from this board is to avoid the low price vendors. There are plenty of posts here and on other sites where people have had problems getting their hardware.

Of course the plug here is for dvinfo sponsors who help make this board possible. Besides that they know what videographers need.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 05:10 AM   #5
Wrangler

Main stream dealers will have stock, or can tell you when they expect to ship. Always worth asking this question. If it is not a mainstream dealer with whom you have dealt with in the past with good results, best to ask around. Find out what other's experience has been.

Part of the reason some dealers charge a higher price is to cover the cost of higher performance.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 07:59 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Christopher,

I´m sorry to hear that you have had so much trouble getting your XL1s, but I´m surprised about your experience with Nomatica. Here in Norway they have good reputation, and are mentioned in some media as a serious company with good prices. I have purchased mine XL1s from them, and I got it for a very good price at the time, and rather quick as well. I had to wait a little bit for them to get it in stock, but not so very long. When they got it, they shipped it to me immediately, and I received it two days later (custom delay included).

Anyway, I hope you soon will have your XL1s to "play" with.

Ivan
Ivan Hedley Enger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 08:13 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Got my PAL from ZGC, give 'em a try, they're sooooo good.

Silver Reflections
guypringle@yahoo.com
+27(0)83 256 8566
Guy Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 08:40 AM   #8
New Boot

Ordered mine from PRC Direct here in the UK...
http://www.prcdirect.co.uk/

They were excellent. The camera was out-of-stock when I placed the order; they phoned to let me know and to ask whether I wanted to keep the order open (I did).

A week later they phoned to say it was back in stock, and they would despatch it immediately if I was still interested. They didn't bill my credit card until it had been despatched.

The price was great, their service was great. Result: a happy customer (who is still reading the manual and trying not to dribble on all those buttons...).

Hope this helps!
Old March 6th, 2003, 06:05 PM   #9
Major Player

The company, like some have stated, have not taken my money....unlike Normatica who did on the first day, quoted GBP but took the money in Euro, and still held onto it even weeks down the road. Which I thought was illegal if an item is out of stock.....Well any how ignoring them, the company I have ordered with have not taken money and always reply my emails. Their latest reply when I asked what the problem was They said:

"The item you have ordered is very short supplied by the manufacturer. The item is still out of stock and we are awaiting for stock to arrive in 1-2 weeks time. This is a estimated time and we haven't been given confirmation yet by Canon."

So has Canon really hit the low with XL1s production? I was just wondering if there were other possible problems??? And if anyone out there is having same problem with their orders.
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 10:23 AM   #10
Regular Crew

What about this offer I got on e-mail today from Simon?

http://www.dvwarehouse.co.uk

As Good As New
-------------------------
We've got some very exciting deals for you this month, while stock lasts!

Firstly we have a small quantity of Canon UK refurbished PAL XL1S cameras, you heard correctly that's the XL1S not the older XL1. We are selling these cameras at the low price of just £1899 including VAT (£1616.17 ex VAT), ideal as a second camera we also have a quantity of XM-1's for £999 including VAT (£850.21 ex VAT).

These cameras are supplied as the standard kit, battery, charger, cables & manual. They come with a 6 month warranty and look as good as new! These are being sold on a first come, first served basis. Email me to place an order simon@optexint.com

Ivan
Ivan Hedley Enger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

That would be Simon Beer (he has a great last name) and I've had the pleasure of meeting him personally. Simon is a fine individual, a first-rate and extremely knowledgeable young man. You can't go wrong dealing with Simon. Please tell him I said hello.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog