cheap but impressive at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 15th, 2003, 09:40 PM   #1
Wrangler

cheap but impressive

I need a 2nd tripod for a stationary camera (no head movement while shooting). I'd like something with a double tube leg design, as clients think it looks more impressive.
It has to have a ball leveler as well.
And of course, it has to hold 10lbs (XL1+gear), with most of that weight hanging over the front without sagging.
Price, less than $300, preferably less than $200.
Old May 15th, 2003, 11:06 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

A Libec M20?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 09:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I wasn't real impressed with the way my M20 felt when I put an XL1 on it. I had to clamp down hard to keep the tilt from drifting when pointed low (a high shot above the scene), just with the standard lens and no extra gear on the camera. In a stationary situation, it'll probably hold up however, and it fits your "under $200" request. Libec does have a model above the M20 that is more suited for the XL1, I saw it in the shop at Zotz but forget the model now (I think it's the LS-35 or LS-50). You might give Zotz a call and see what they have.

As an aside, Zotz web page seems to be down, for me anyway.
Brian M. Dickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 12:17 PM   #4
Wrangler

A Libec 20 is probably not a good choice. It's not a great tripod even with a balanced load. Just adequate.

Under $300 probably isn't going to happen with that off-balance load. Can you hang something off the back to balance it?

You really need a tripod with a sliding top plate so you can balance the mass over the pivot. Preferrably with a nice spring setup to handle it when you tilt.
Old May 16th, 2003, 01:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Bogen Manfrotto 3246 Tripod will hold the load. However, the head, eh, I don't know. It will be a bottle of pennies over 3 hundred. (Tripod 200+, Head 100+)
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 01:51 PM   #6
Outer Circle

Dylan, http://www.leoscamera.com sometimes have used tripods for sale. Manfrotto make some good solid, heavy legs. Also, the Buy & Sell newspaper is another place to check. That big pawn shop in downtown New West usually has lots of used tripods as well. So I suggest calling these places, and buying yourself a Buy & Sell---the new one came out yesterday, I think.

You can also e-mail Leo's:

peter@leoscamera.com
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 02:39 PM   #7
Wrangler

Frank, I keep an eye on the Buy & Sell every other week or so, but never see much there, although I did get a tripod out of there a year ago to be fair. I think I know the pawn shop you are talking about, the really big on near the Sky Train station on Columbia?

I haven't been to Leo's in a while, I'll give them a shout too.

Otherwise, the Libec 20 might have to do, I can mount a weight to the handle to balance the load, if I have to use a mini sandbag or something.
Old May 16th, 2003, 03:40 PM   #8
Outer Circle

Yes, that's the pawn shop. I think it's called Royal Jewelers.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads