Premiere Pro CS4, random unexpected crashes - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 9th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Noa's absolutely right; the more assets you have in the project panel, the more unstable Premiere gets. Premiere also hates titles, stills and graphics; if you have a lot of those, be prepared to save often.

Yes Adam I agree, CS4 + all the dynamic link crap work great for 10 minute projects. Get into a wedding or a feature and you're in big trouble.
My most stable system right now is my HP core2 quad 6600 with 4Gb, premiere 2.0 and my old Matrox rt.x100 (which was never stable under any other configuration before). Only good for SD though!
My premiere pro cs4 running on an HP Athlon phenom x4 9150e quad core with 8Gb and 64bit vista is pretty much unuseable. I edited a short (3min) sequence, and the damn thing wont even let me export it. Media encoder gives me an error every time (cant find project file in a a certain location). Probably some vista security issue.
Andy Wason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I've been working on a VERY resource intensive project. Premiere was crashing over and over. Then I got an idea, and increased the virtual memory exponentially (20GB). And it hasn't crashed once since then! But I guess only time will tell if the problem really has been fixed.
Mitch Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #18
Major Player

Just dropping by here.

This is exactly why I switched to Mac and Final Cut Pro a year or so ago. Adobe Premiere CS2 kept crashing all the time and I couldn't figure out why. I had been using Sony Vegas before that and it never crashed. Not once. But I didn't really like the Vegas interface. I just like the old-school Avid like two monitor up and timeline down view which Vegas doesn't have. I have been running Final Cut for over a year now and it practically never crashes. If it does (like once or twice a month) it is mostly because I am also encoding, working in DVD Studio or doing lots of other stuff on my computer (like running Parallels Virtual Machines).

All of this is stupid. Adobe charges you $1599 for the suite. Most of the programs work fine (Photoshop never crashes on me) but Premiere has been crashing since CS2. We are now 2 versions ahead and they haven't fixed it. Now that's a big shame on you Adobe.

I am also convinced that's the exact reason why Final Cut Pro has like 50% of marketshare, followed by Avid and I think Sony Vegas. Premiere Pro is just a laugh. I still hope they fix it one day because I like Dynamic Link and After Effects, Encore and Photoshop.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:51 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Hunt View Post
When working on a project, large or small, Premiere will randomly close with no error message. I'm editing HDV footage. My system specs: 4GB 800Mhz RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.16Ghz, 1TB RAID 0 hard drive and Vista Ultimate 32bit. Any ideas?
Mitch, as a strat, go into task manager, look at all the processes running and google every one of them.Unisstall everything that you don't want. There's a load of rogue apps on windows that are not well conditioned and can cause problems for premiere.
Andy Wason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #20
Wrangler

Getting past all the OT rants about other software and platforms...
Mitch, how have things been going with CS4 since the virtual memory tweak?

And to chime in with Adam and Andy, Adobe is very clear that CS4 demands a lot of memory (and system specs in general). You'd do better with a 64 bit OS and more RAM, esepcially considering you "only" have a dual core processor and don't have your clip files on a dedicated drive. Many people will not put other software on their editing computer, and at the very least you do need to make sure the system is optimized, lean, and clean. Even simple stuff like regular defragging and CHKDSK can make a significant difference.

All that said, I've been successfully running CS4 Master Collection on a laptop with a mere Core2 9550, 4GB RAM, single drive, and XP32 loaded with other applications -- and successfully edit AVCHD footage. Not as speedy as my main editing box, but gets the job done. So I'm really wondering what else might be the problem with your system. Have you run a quality set of hardware diagnostics, especially Memtest on it?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 04:09 AM   #21
Major Player

Some Premiere CS4 problems can be solved by tweaking, upgrading etc. But the fact is that CS4 is responsible for the majority of problems, because it's a buggy product, simple as that. In different machines, with various setups and different Windows, sooner or later you'll get your crash (almost never occured in CS3). And you'll get your crash without using any external plugins, the standard ones do the job.

Also true about the software slowing down when too many clips are loaded. This is unacceptable for a program that is considered to be for professional use. Not only this never happened in CS3 (at least, not like that), but it is slower at editing and rendering for the exact same projects. One will say that CS4 is slower because it's more complicated, but it doesn't stand out. Exporting a two camera editing with light color correction needs, say, 2 hours in CS3 (I am talking HDV) and 2:40 in CS4. And the bugs in many effects (black screens in time effects) are absolutely annoying.

Not that successful as a product, if you ask me.
Dimitris Mantalias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Hey guys,

I spoke too soon. Premiere still crashes incessantly with HDV footage. I have some more information that may help.

1. Premiere has been rock solid with SD footage, it's HDV that I'm have all the problems with.
2. When a HDV project is first opened, Premiere works great but after a while it begins to bog down and becomes unstable.
3. The more effects and animations used the more unstable it becomes.
4. It begins to slow down after scrolling through a long list of thumbnails in the project bin, and loves to crash right after closing the title creation window.
5. Seconds before each crash the hard disk activity light will go solid and Premiere will freeze and then crash.

If it will increase stability I'm thinking about separating my two raid 0 drives and getting a external eSATA (any suggestions?) drive. Using the first dive for Windows and programs, the second for the video files and the external for preview files. How does that sound? Thanks!
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #23
Inner Circle

We've all -- or at least most of us -- experienced all the problems you describe, and all I can say is what I said way back in Post #2: Welcome to Premiere. What you are describing is very typical behavior.

To risk being repetitive, your chip is underpowered, you don't have enough RAM (because your OS won't support it) and your disks are too small and not arranged optimally.

My PC has 8 fast cores and a 7 x 1TB disk array in RAID3, and Premiere still locked up all the time, just as you describe. The only way I made it better was to go to Vista 64 and up my RAM to 20GB. It still behaves erratically, but much, much less than before. Even with this, you need to set your auto-save to 5 minutes or less, and learn how to use it. And even then you need to do a hard save after you do anything complicated that you don't feel like repeating, and be sure to reboot about once per hour to clear the memory leak. Once you establish a good workflow, you'll start to recognize the signs of an impending crash and you can do a quick save and exit before anything bad happens.

To directly answer your question: yes, the disk setup you've described will definitely help somewhat, but won't solve your memory management and CPU problems.

There's really no getting around Premiere's hardware demands. You can't reason with it -- you can only succumb. Those of you who are married know what I'm talking about.

But you know all this already. Every prior response in this thread had told you exactly what you need to do.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 01:36 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
be sure to reboot about once per hour to clear the memory leak
Same here, I"m not sure if the memory leak is causing the problem but can't think of any other reason;after an hour I start to loose audio during playback if I'm playing the timeline. This only happens if I have more then one audiotrack and on one track the audio will go on and off every 10 seconds. Once I reboot the pc the problem is gone. That might be a new feature as premiere is telling me to take a small break? :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #25
Major Player

I am not a computer geek. I'm ignorant when it comes to all the technical talk in here. However, I can tell you that CS3 was much more stable than CS4. In fact, I'm not in love with all of the new features of CS4. For example, making all of the audio levels even in Soundbooth was a feature that I was looking forward to. But I will never use it because it brings up the background noise right along with the low levels of a scene. This is unacceptable. The System Memory thing has been a problem. Rebooting every 2 hours has helped big time. And, currently, my present documentary is running 3 hours (end product to be around 2 hours). So I have six timelines with around 30 minutes each. This has also helped.

I like having all of my assets in the Project Panel. But perhaps I should clear as much as possible.

Thanks to everyone for their input here. I work alone in my basement, in my "man cave", and I have no where else to go in a moment's notice.
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I just found out that my machine is capable of handling 8GB of ram. So, I might buy Win 7 64 bit and upgrade ram to its max. This along with the hard drive tweaks should help cut down on the crashes, correct?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what e-sata external hard drive (to use for preview files) I should buy?
Old October 29th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #27
Major Player

Mitch... I've been using a Simpletech external RAID via eSATA for a couple of years.... very reliable with good performance.

A heads up with Windows 7. Apparently there are some known issues (with various motherboards) with onboard eSATA. Oddly enough, my eSATA worked perfectly under Windows 7 RC.

If you discover that once you get your eSATA set up and Windows 7 doesn't recognize it, you may want to consider simply getting an eSATA PCI card... it instantly solves the problem for 20 to 30 bucks.

BTW... I've always had my preview files and source footage on the same RAID without any issues. If you haven't trialed Cineform, I suggest you do. It lightens the load on your system in a big way.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #28
Regular Crew

How about the Iomega Professional 1TB eSata external drive?

Product Page: Professional Desktop eSATa/USB Hard Drive: External Hard Drive by Iomega

Newegg.com: Newegg.com - iomega Professional 1TB USB 2.0 / eSATA External Hard Drive 34280 - External Hard Drives
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #29
Major Player

Mitch... I would strongly urge you to get an external RAID, as opposed to a single eSATA drive.

Simpletech and others, are makes of dual drive (or more) RAID enclosures, preconfigured and ready for connection.

The responsiveness of a RAID 0 is superior to a single drive configuration.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite