DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   2nd Unit Television (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/2nd-unit-television/)
-   -   Monitor Suggestion... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/2nd-unit-television/70865-monitor-suggestion.html)

Chris Hocking July 5th, 2006 07:17 AM

Monitor Suggestion...

I have recently just watched the first two episodes, and was very impressed! George did a fantastic job. I can't wait to see his future contributions.

One thing I would like to suggest however, is that instead of using Photoshop to display images/diagrams during the show, maybe you could use some kind of presentation software, such as Microsoft Powerpoint or even just the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, which is built into XP, instead? It seems silly to waste a large proportion of the screen space for Photoshop's menus and toolbars. It would be much better, from an audience point of view, to see ONLY the useful information.

Also, when the presenter is no longer referring to the images on the screen, it would be less distracting if the screen went to black, or to a holding slide (such as the 2nd Unit logo). I would avoid going to an animated logo, as this would be just as distracting. Although with that said, it's very hard to not be totally transfixed to George's words.

But, if the reason you are displaying the images through Photoshop is due to a sponsorship agreement with Adobe, then I would suggest viewing the content as a presentation/slide and include a sponsorship "banner" somewhere on the screen.

Just a thought!

Jonathan Ames July 5th, 2006 08:59 AM

And a series of great thoughts it is, Chris. Glad you elected to stay.

The George Dibie interviews were really a study in what changes to make and these are some of them. Remember, each of our people are working 1) together for the first time and 2) for the first time at this level. There are a 1,000,001 things going on and we're catching the bad ones as we go thanks to people like you and the others here. The whole idea of this show is not only to provide an informative product to the public to to let people work professionally together. It may sound odd, but that's the hardest part of my job and whay there are so few working producers in television; cat wrangling. We've had our opening redone and it's still going through changes and we're getting alot of interest from Adobe experts who want to pitch in with Flash. Remeer, I don't want the site to carry whiz-bang graphics and content but I do want the show to be done with all the bells and whistles. Where do your talents lie and would you like to take a small active role in what we're doing allowing it to grow as you see if you like working with us and have the time to devote?

Tim Brown July 5th, 2006 10:03 AM

I'm fond of that idea as well Chris and I would suggest you take it a step further and only have the information displayed on-screen without the use of the monitor. Using graphics full screen during the video when the speaker is making a point or wants to reference a diagram would add a polished feel and would increase legibility of any charts or diagrams. I felt myself distracted at times trying to look at the monitor, even when it wasn't pertinent to the discussion.

Tim Brown July 5th, 2006 06:21 PM

Just saw the 2nd show. Loved it!!! It's looking more polished with each show. I can't wait to see the next installment.

And the use of the diagrams was exactly what I was talking about.

Paolo Ciccone July 5th, 2006 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Brown
Just saw the 2nd show. Loved it!!! It's looking more polished with each show. I can't wait to see the next installment.

And the use of the diagrams was exactly what I was talking about.

Thank you Tim. Glad you liked it.

Chris Hocking July 6th, 2006 01:39 AM

Tim, I hear what you're saying, but I quite like the look of having the big screen in the shot. It makes it look more impressive. However, I do agree that whenever a presenter is refering to the screen's content it should cut ASAP to the diagram/image/photo.

My only other suggestion would be to, if budget/time allows, dress up the set a bit. It's very plain at the moment, which is fine. However, adding a fern or pot plant, painted wall, film equipment in the background, etc. would just add a bit more colour to the footage - making it more "alive".

I think the look you should go for is that of morning talk shows. Casual, simple, friendly, yet colourful and bold.

Jonathan Ames July 6th, 2006 08:03 AM

Actually, we don't plan on having a set per se. We're on the road with every show visiting locations most days on the set with the various guests. The issue is that most all shows are on hiatus right now until August. 24 goes back in August with Rodney Charters in Toronto right now DPing Keiferst rock band's video. Desperate Housewives and the lot of others go back in a couple of months as well. That set you speak of was the shop at Lite Panel that we're returning to to see how the lights are manufactured and why they're priced relatively high compared to others when you first look at them. This is also why we haven't pulished a schedule yet. Summer's really difficult to get ahold of and schedule people. But, all of that being said, we're going to be using a monitor supplied by AbelCine in future shows in the fashion you suggest.