2nd Unit used Fujinon S20x6 Lens for HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

2nd Unit Television
Companion discussion forum for the 2nd Unit TV web site.

Old July 11th, 2006, 10:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

2nd Unit used Fujinon S20x6.4 Lens for HD100

Jonathan & Paolo, I heard you guys used this SD lens for the HD100. Have you been happy with the purchase? Please share your overall thoughts (CA, sharpness, image quality, etc). Thanks.

Last edited by George David; July 12th, 2006 at 12:41 AM. Reason: correction lens model
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by George David
Jonathan & Paolo, I heard you guys used this SD lens for the HD100. Have you been happy with the purchase? Please share your overall thoughts (CA, sharpness, image quality, etc). Thanks.
Hey George.
Jonathan is on a business trip so I'll try to address this to the best of my knowledge. For 2nd Unit we use 3 HD100 with the stock lenses. I don't know who told you otherwise but I've been on the show since the first episode, and we always used the stock lenses.
Jonathan uses the lens that you mentioned for other sport shows that he produces. He told me that the added zoom ability (a 20x compared to the 16x) helps in the field and, since he's shooting those shows in SD, the lens is pretty sharp for that application.

As the world is moving faster and faster to HD things might change in a pretty short span. When I saw your post I asked Jonathan about the lenses and we agreed on doing a test in HD as soon as we find the time.

The upcoming shows for "2nd Unit" are going to be pretty good. Jody Eldred has given us enough material to turn it into two episodes and the content is simply incredible. I can't emphasize enough how incredible it is that accomplished professionals are giving us their time and knowledge.
We are going to release the episodes on a revised schedule, each Friday instead of each Wednesday. This allows us to "polish" the final result a bit more. We are going to have also simultanoeus release of the Mac (H.264) and Windows version (wmv).

Take care.
Old July 13th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #3
2nd Unit TV

Acvtually, Paolo's partly correct...OK, mostly correct but that being said, he's not far off. I bought the lenses because they're by far and away suoerior to the lenses that come with the 100HD. The tolerances are closer, the flare is gone as is the CA for the most part. They're clearer and provide a far superior picture even when shoting HD. BUT, they are doubtless softer than true HD lenses as HD lenses are specifically designed to allow the full pallet of light in. If you're shooting for DVD, Internet, even in many instances cable, you'll find these $3k lenses far, far superior to the stock $900 Fujinons that come with the 100HD. Remember, most stations are downrezzing your images before they hit the cable distribution channel or bird anyway so it realy doesn't matter what you deliver in. Plus, the extra width and focal throw is a wonderful asset over the stock 16. For $3k, replace your stock glass but they're not for big screen features. I just like them because in the smoky, dusty world of rodeo and gunsmoke, a true HD is a wasted asset. I'll tell you what; I'll post some shots of the CMSA Championships and color commentary team on line when I get back from SF tomorrow and you make the call as to which is which. BTW, while we're on the subjewct, if you can at all make it, get your rear ends over to the Sony/Apple road show. I saw it in SF this afternoon and it was wonderful. Of course our friend Jody Eldred was a big part of it so I'm biased but the XDCAM and Mac Pro are truly the next generation of filmmaking. So if you can, get over to the show in your area. It's a real eye-opener!!!!!!! And we'll be doing a story on it for next week's show.
Old July 14th, 2006, 08:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I appreciate the info, gentlemen. And yes, the PDW-330/350 are awesome camera systems, aren't they? They were showcased @ Sundance the beginning of the year. I wouldn't able to make it to the closest Apple/XDCam tour so I just ordered the HDCam HD disk set :-)

I can't wait to watch the Jody Eldred episodes.
Old July 14th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #5
2nd Unit TV

They provided the white papers on the cameras here in San Francisco yesterday and they're also available on the Sony Internet site for download. One lof the great features is how seamless the blending is between the cameras and FCP. They've really done a great job and I can't wait to do the test.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television