Next Week Teaser...and we mean TEASER - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television

2nd Unit Television
Companion discussion forum for the 2nd Unit TV web site.

Old July 21st, 2006, 09:48 AM   #16
Major Player

Good spot, Greg. I guess I need to "crack open" my LiveType application. I've never used it.

Paolo, you'll love Shake. I almost bought it through eBay for $1875 literally 36-hours before Apple announced their enormous price reduction. Fortunately, I lost the auction by $25!

When I fired up my browser on the day Apple made the announcement I just about fell out of my chair. My disappointment in losing the auction instantly turned into euphoria. I was soooooo lucky!

I've used Shake in the past, but know I have my own copy for my work. It is an amazing application.
Old July 21st, 2006, 09:58 AM   #17
Capt. Quirk

Just imagine how the "winner" feels!
Old July 21st, 2006, 12:01 PM   #18
Major Player

I'm sure the winner felt terrible! But, then, I also assume he or she reneged on the purchase since I received a second-chance offer from the seller a week later. So, the seller is the one that feels the worst.

Getting back to topic (sort of)...Paolo, will you be using Shake for 2nd Unit post or for CruiserCast?
Old July 21st, 2006, 03:21 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sayre
Good spot, Greg. I guess I need to "crack open" my LiveType application. I've never used it.
Wow, Jeff. You're missing out on some cool stuff there. But like Paolo said, you can use the live fonts within Motion.

-gb-
Old July 21st, 2006, 05:37 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Paolo, you'll love Shake. I almost bought it through eBay for $1875 literally 36-hours before Apple announced their enormous price reduction. Fortunately, I lost the auction by $25!
Man, that would have been upsetting. I kept an eye on Shake for a while but i didn't get the announcement. A few days ago Jonathan an I went to see a demo by Sony/Apple and the Apple guy mentioned the new price, I jumped up and yelled "sold!" :)
The day after I got my copy. For $499.00 you can't lose!
Old July 21st, 2006, 05:51 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Getting back to topic (sort of)...Paolo, will you be using Shake for 2nd Unit post or for CruiserCast?
Nothing is off-topic in "2nd Unit" as long as we talk about movie-making :)
Yes, when I heard about the new price I immediately saw the possibility to have a state of the art chromakeyer without having to use convoluted exports like I'm doing with Ultra. Now I can "Send to Shake" directly from Final Cut, key the footage and then re-import it in FCP from the comfort of my Powerbook. Love it! And I'm totally blown away by the control that Shake gives you when pulling keys, including concatenating one keyer into the other (Keylight into Primatte, for example). That is flexibility. Also, I like using a garbage matte for the key, a feature that is sorely missing in Ultra.
So yes, in my copious spare time ;) I'll shoot the next episode of CruiserCast using only one machine, my old and trusty Powerbook (unless Jonathan buys me a new MacBookPro, nudge nudge, wink wink ;))
Old July 22nd, 2006, 06:45 AM   #22
Major Player

You know, you could always borrow Jonathan's new MacBook Pro and then just forget to return it? I'm sure he wouldn't miss it. ;)

Now that you have Shake--and with your great greenscreen experience producing CruiserCast--I suggest that in season two of 2nd Unit you consider interviewing a Visual Effects Supervisor (Emmy award-winning, of course).

One of the facets of movie making I'm interested in in special effects work. I do a fair amount of it for a Hoosier but would love to get some inside tips from the best in the industry.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 09:30 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
I suggest that in season two of 2nd Unit you consider interviewing a Visual Effects Supervisor
Very good idea!
Old July 22nd, 2006, 11:30 AM   #24
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Nothing is off-topic in "2nd Unit" as long as we talk about movie-making :)
True Paolo but we also try to keep individual threads on topic here. I think that's what he was referring to. IOW, we should keep discussing the teaser that started this thread.

-gb-
Old July 22nd, 2006, 11:45 AM   #25
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
True Paolo but we also try to keep individual threads on topic here. I think that's what he was referring to. IOW, we should keep discussing the teaser that started this thread.

-gb-
And folks like me that occasionly (?) stray, must drive the Mods up a tree! Sorry guys :)
Old July 22nd, 2006, 11:58 AM   #26
Major Player

Okay, this time I'm really getting back on topic--and fronting for Keith so he doesn't get in trouble.

When is the episode on makeup due for release?
Old July 22nd, 2006, 12:14 PM   #27
Capt. Quirk

I'm always in trouble Jeff, and would just be confused otherwise ;) But, to remain on topic, will the show cover rates and what goes into the kits, or just tips for application? I think a PDF covering the average kit contents might be nice.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 01:05 PM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Okay, this time I'm really getting back on topic--and fronting for Keith so he doesn't get in trouble.

When is the episode on makeup due for release?
Next week, I'm cutting it right now. The second part of Jody Eldred went live last night, don't miss it as it has a great demonstration on how to control light, both indoor and outdoor.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 04:08 PM   #29
Trustee

Is there a thread on episode requests? I'd like to see a piece on camera motion to move beyond static tripod shots...both high budget and low budget would be cool, when to use them, how to set them up what they look like...etc.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 05:10 PM   #30
Capt. Quirk

And how to get a wheelchair, to use for cheap dolly shots? A How To on skateboard wheels on a dolly? Show the sponser's product for the working pros, and then DIY guerilla cheapies? That shouldn't be too conflicting, is it?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television