New Episode Posted...More to Come - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television

2nd Unit Television
Companion discussion forum for the 2nd Unit TV web site.

Old August 4th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #16
Capt. Quirk

Since you folks aren't doing this live, if you see something out of place- like the Host blocking the pretty girls- couldn't you just let him know he's in the way, and redo the take?
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
Since you folks aren't doing this live, if you see something out of place- like the Host blocking the pretty girls- couldn't you just let him know he's in the way, and redo the take?
We actually shoot "2nd Unit" "reality show" style. Also, since we pay for most of it, we get out guests for free and we have to follow their schedule. Sometimes, between lighting, sound check and other technical needs, we have barely the time to shoot the episode before the guest has to go. That's why we use 3 cameras, we take as much coverage as possible. Episode 6 was unusual as we decided to have a "wild" camera. As it turns out, because the way people react to somebody pointing the camera at them, the shoulder-mounted HD100 became the main camera, even though it was not meant to be.
It's been a lesson in learning how to do this kind of shots and we will keep in mind your observations for the next time.
Myself, I would just shoot the girls without Jonathan at all. There you go, next time we are gonna have a voiceover ;)
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #18
Capt. Quirk

"Myself, I would just shoot the girls without Jonathan at all. There you go, next time we are gonna have a voiceover ;)"

I also thought Jonathon and his cup-o-coffee were really not necessary, but it is his show. I guess it's ok for him to pop on whenever he wants ;)
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Hmmm

Quote:
"Myself, I would just shoot the girls without Jonathan at all. There you go, next time we are gonna have a voiceover ;)"

I also thought Jonathon and his cup-o-coffee were really not necessary, but it is his show. I guess it's ok for him to pop on whenever he wants ;)

Visually that might have worked better. But I think Jonathan was there to keep Isabella on track, and believe me I've meet Isabella and, she needs a little prompting to stay on track. Also he helped to pull out the points that he thought needed to get covered.
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:14 AM   #20
Capt. Quirk

I sort of noticed that she was a little vague at points.
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
I sort of noticed that she was a little vague at points.
So what are you getting at? :)

Just saw the clip. I thought the camera shake distracted me, no matter what the ladies looked like.

I did like the lighting. Must have been George's influence.

Paolo, next idea for shooting freehand. How about an interview with some cameraman for a news stations? Those sholder engs are pretty steady, even on a run and gun style...Something I definately need to work at. My steady shots are the worst freehand.
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #22
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kang
So what are you getting at? :)

Paolo, next idea for shooting freehand. How about an interview with some cameraman for a news stations? Those sholder engs are pretty steady, even on a run and gun style...Something I definately need to work at. My steady shots are the worst freehand.
And my shoulder shot footage looks like the weather channel during a hurricane.
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kang
Paolo, next idea for shooting freehand. How about an interview with some cameraman for a news stations? Those sholder engs are pretty steady, even on a run and gun style
OK, there are a couple of considerations about this. Lots of run-and-gun people shoot with the lens zoomed out , this is considerably less shaky than when zooming in. The shaky part of the footage that you see is when I was zooming in to avoid being in the frame of the other cameras. ENG people also employ stabilazers. These are pretty expensive devices that use a gyroscope in order to keep the camera level. They work wonders but we didn't have them available. I apologize for the shake but, as you can see, we trimmed the episode at 18 minutes and if I had to remove the shaky part it would leave us without much. We learned a lesson and we will avoid this kind of issues in the future. After 1 hour of holding the camera on my shoulder my back was hurting quite a bit and that added more shake.
BTW, I just read and article about the inematographer for "Lady in the water", he uses a "Buddah bag", bascally a bean bag strapped to his chest. This is used to rest the elbows and stabilize the camera for shoulder mounted shots. Simple, ingenious and cheap. Gotta get one of those.
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #24
Major Player

Paolo:

Many of the new hit TV shows seem to go out of the way to make sure viewers see the camera movement thinking that it adds to the drama and makes the situation more "real." If it works for them, then it works for you!

I saw the shake and was not bothered by it at all. It added to the music-video style aspects of the production.

So, don't worry about. The technique of camera shake can be used effectively and on purpose.
Old August 5th, 2006, 12:38 AM   #25
Trustee

Thank you Jeff.

Yes, that's how I saw it too, the cuts in the video are short enough to not be an issue, IMHO. But, of course, I like to hear the different points of view. The good thing about the cameraman and the editor is that I can remove the stuff that I don't like. If it's in the video then I thought it worked. That of course is subjective and what works for me can annoy you but such is any artistic choice :).

Thanks again.
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:15 AM   #26
2nd Unit TV

Boy, I leave for a couple of days and people are getting sticks and poking me off my own show!!! ;-) OK, off I go. No, wait, I decided to stay. Actually, we think,,,or hope, it's working out OK. I really was there only to prompt Isabella (thanks Chris), The rest of the time, I want Jaime and, when she's ready, Isabella in there. Jaime's doing a great job which was never planned; he just sort of fell into it. But that's because he's been in the business so long. There are just some things I see as a producer and a director that I want in there and other times I'm pinch-hitting, like with the makeup episode. Don't forget, we all have regular jobs that put food on the table.
Old August 5th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #27
Capt. Quirk

We understand pinch hitting... blocking the pretty girls from the camera is a no-no though. Baaaaad Jonathan! Take your coffee and go to the corner ;)
Old August 5th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #28
Major Player

Speaking of camera shake and framing ... perhaps every time Jonathan is shown, the camera should be at a skewed angle like the technique the classic Batman TV shows used each time they showed the bad guys ;)
Old August 5th, 2006, 10:00 AM   #29
Regular Crew

I just get "Page Not Found" when trying to access this particular episode. The page that's being requested is:

http://www.2nd-unit.tv/archives/episode6.html
Old August 5th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #30
Trustee

So did I - so I cheated. I looked at the source code for the page episode 5 is on then went to the correct directory and grabbed it from there.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television