New Look and Feel with Adobe Production Suite at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television

2nd Unit Television
Companion discussion forum for the 2nd Unit TV web site.

Old August 8th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #1
2nd Unit TV

New Look and Feel with Adobe Production Suite

In answering the requests for a better web presence, 2nd Unit is pleased to announce that the new site will be launching today, well ahead of it's scheduled upgrade which was not gloing to be here until Season 2 began. Paolo Ciccone, as if he doens't have enough on his plate right now, is responsible for the successful upgrade working in concert with Keith. It's Adobe Dreamweaver-based so there'll be alot more news content on it...behind the scene news, not gossip, but news stuff you can plan your filmmaking around. Plus there'll be specials and other perks that make your filmmaking more affordable as our partners move to make their products available to 2nd Unit viewers more affordably. We hope you enjoy it as 2nd Unit grows according to your comments and wish lists.
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Looking good. I see it is getting more organized. My hats off to you and all the guys putting this together. I can see this (2nd unit) being the #1 site for filmmakers to go to for learning there craft on the internet.
P.S. I still need to get out your way soon. I hope I can work out a schedule soon for you.
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #3
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ames
Paolo Ciccone, as if he doens't have enough on his plate right now, is responsible for the successful upgrade working in concert with Keith.
Actually, that's all Paolo at this point. I'm still trying to figure out what you need me for ;)
Old August 8th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
Actually, that's all Paolo at this point. I'm still trying to figure out what you need me for ;)
You're gonna take it from here, I gotta go back to editing :)
Old August 9th, 2006, 05:53 AM   #5
Major Player

The sites starting to look nicer. More uniformed/structured in design.

Keith, congrats on your new post. Now get to work. ;)

One thing I think is unnecessary is the boxed look the site is getting from the links on the left and right side of the website. I'm talking about the lines that form the box for those links. I think you can make it invisible and still have it uniformed. People will create their own box for those areas.

ex: abcdef abcdef abcdef abcdef
.....abcdef abcdef abcdef abcdef
.....abcdef abcdef abcdef abcdef

The periods are added because the board seems to format it for the left if I just use spaces.

Even without lines, you can see a boxed structure that the mind creates.

Now, get RSS added onto 2nd-unit! Not that I use RSS but a lot of people like to use RSS to find out about new content thats on the site...

Jonathan, I know Adobe supports training classes for schools and non-profit corps as a community service... Do they have something like that for a sponsered site? If so, it might be a good idea to get a couple of members familiarized with Adobe products...
Old August 9th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #6
Trustee

Hey John.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kang
One thing I think is unnecessary is the boxed look the site is getting from the links on the left and right side of the website.
We are talking persona preference here and I like the lines. As a matter of fact, "border: 1px solid white" is probably my most used CSS statement :)

Quote:
Now, get RSS added onto 2nd-unit! Not that I use RSS but a lot of people like to use RSS to find out about new content thats on the site...
I thought about it but, except for announcement of new episode, once a week, and new posts in the forum, out of our control, I can't justify it and our plate is incredibly full already. Thanks for the suggestion though. If you want to volunteer...;)
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #7
Major Player

Hey Paolo,

Yep, just my opinion, I'm not offended by it. :)

I would love to volunteer, but Keith already volunteered, don't want to steal his thunder, maybe just hijack his threads now and then. :p

That and I'm not a web design expert with any program. I use Web Plus from Serif for simple work which can't compare to Adobe's products but I feel is superior for beginners like me.

Even if RSS isn't going to be used that much, now, it still has a potential to be a big plus for the site. I can see 2nd-Unit getting bigger and RSS will fit right in.

My other recommendation, are you using SEO to get 2nd-Unit listed on search engines?
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #8
Capt. Quirk

I'll be the first to admit, I ain't no "code cadet". I do web sites purely because I like to design. Scripting, coding, forms... it bogs my creative artsy side. If you feel like doing the high end features, I'm more than happy to share the thunder :)
Old August 15th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #9
2nd Unit TV

Lots of new changes coming you way through Adobe and Flash and the like. I have to admit, I was wrong. Someone once made representations that our site should look more respectable and I said I didn't care. You know, I realized through all of you, it's all part of the deal. I do care, especially with 6000 downloads last week. So that's why the change and I thank whomever it was who first said that. Bully for you. Anyway, a HUGE thanks to Adobe for making it all happen, especially our point person over there, Terry Ragan. Now there's a real pro having come from Apple and what a great person. Anyway, keep your eyes peeled for new site stuff to come, including a less boxy look...and the Season 1 edning finale which we roll cameras on tonight at 8:00 on set of The Unit.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television