The Unit meets 2nd Unit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television

2nd Unit Television
Companion discussion forum for the 2nd Unit TV web site.

Old August 14th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #1
2nd Unit TV

The Unit meets 2nd Unit

OK, we've kept you in the dark long enough. Everyone wants to know what's the big secret...what's on tap for the Season 1 Grand Finale. So here it is. We have a pretty GRAND finale set up for Week 13, the final episode marking the end of Season 1. But don't worry, Season 2 is on it's way the very next week and we don't miss a beat. We can't because our list of guests signed for the show carries us through Season 3 right now. That mean what I originally thought would be a 4-show show has turned into a year-long project. Heck, 9 out of every 10 tv series don't get picked up the second season much less a third. Anyway here's the scoop.

Thanks to Jaime Emmaneulli, partner, friend and man-about-all-things-movies, we've arranged for 2nd Unit to go on-set with the hit CBS action drama "The Unit". The Unit revolvs around a covert team of special forces operatives who risk their lives on undercover missions around the globe. The show was picked up by CBS for mid-season, meaning that if any of the network's new fall shows fails to win over an audience, The Unit will be put into its place. Besides 24's Dennis Haybert, Felicity's Scott Foley and Angel's Amy Acker, The Unit also stars two CSI alumni: Max Martini, who played Bob Keaton in three episodes of CSI: Miami, and Michael Irby, who appeared as Ignacio Paez in Miami's "Breathless" and as Eduardo in CSI: New York's "Night, Mother."

The show is shot at Santa Clarita Studios but Santa Clarita isn't merely providing studio and office space for The Unit, as the city's surroundings will be used to portray the many foreign countries to which the series' military agents will travel. Santa Clarita has a mix of the residential city life locations, as well as the undeveloped hillsides that they need for the action. In fact, Santa Clarita is so versatile that CSI, previous tenants at the digs which moved to Universal's lot, will continue to shoot some of its outdoor scenes there. The Number 3 rated action drama is giving us the show's DP, Gaffer and Best Boy for interviews but it ain't easy folks to get into a special forces secure compound as the opening shots for Episode 13 will evidence. How difficult? Well, I don't want to spoil it for you but suffice to say that, if you like helicopters, stunts, gunfire and grand entrances, you can't miss Episode 13. We're pulling out all the stops for 2nd unit's finale so we hope we've whetted your appetite sufficiently and that you'll tune in for the closer. It'll be, in a word, unforgettable, especially for a “low-budget”, start-up webcast show like 2nd Unit.

All kidding aside, the finale is a salute to you all, the viewers. You've made 2nd Unit a wonderful experience for a lot of us here and this is just a small way of saying thank you. Besides, we've given you access to the Number 1 rated show, 24 through our good friend Rodney Charters and the Number 2 rated show, NCIS through Jody Eldred. But in life, like poker, a pair is well, a pair. But 3 of a kind? Well, that's hard to beat. And our audience deserves a wiunning hand. so thanks for being our viewers and hanging in there with us through our growing pains.

Jonathan and Team 2U

Last edited by Jonathan Ames; August 14th, 2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old August 14th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #2
Trustee

Love both shows! Can't wait.
Old August 15th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Wow! Now that is a season finale!

Jonathan, are you sure that this is something you do just on the side? It seems to me that 2nd Unit TV is headed for the big time. All it needs is a midwest office to make it complete. You know, with global warming, Indiana is going to become the next Mediterranean. You better open up shop here before the land gets too expensive.

Congratulations on an amazing first season. I look forward to season 2 and a trip out to see you guys soon.
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #4
Trustee

MN is more centralized if you include Canada...and I have a spare bed :)
Old August 15th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #5
2nd Unit TV

If you guys knew, even thouogh you're half-joking, how much what you say means to the crew and me, well, I simply can't tell you. It all started out as a small venture and through your support it's grown into this other serious show. So thanks you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. We'll be including more and more of you in the midwest in the site and shows as we move into Seasons 2, 3 and now we're working on season 4.
Jonathan and the Cast and Crew of 2nd Unit
Old August 15th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #6
Major Player

Congrats on great job you guys are doing. Johnathon, I have a couple of questions. First, I still would like to come out and help how can we get together and work out a schedule? Second, with all the new shows did your Documentary get put on hold?
Old August 15th, 2006, 08:05 PM   #7
2nd Unit TV

Absolutely not. We're transitioning from pre-production to production today meeting with the co-producers at UCLA on Thursday. We're working the logistics out with the working script finished and going to talent Thursday for corrections and polish. Casting is set for Sept. 1st and we signed the music talent for the 3 music videos that will be included in the show last Friday. He's a great guy who's huge in Europe and breaking into the US market here currently with a decidedly hip-hop / rap style but not gangsta rap. Very fitting for the show's subject matter. It's written open-ended to allow for a series continuation in both the Latino and American markets and station demographics. So, in a word, No. That docudrama is our prime focus right now along with 2nd Unit with the sponsors backing both.
Old August 15th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #8
Trustee

I'll gladly do a bit on no/low budget hacks for lighting and DIY build stuff. :) I'm not an industry pro, but I've spent the last 4 years learning and figuring out how to do this gig...I'm in post now and love sharing my learning (parents were both teacher types).
Old August 15th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hey Cole, I was looking at your site and I saw that you did Curtain Call for the 48 hour film fest in Minneapolis. I live in Rochester, and recently I went to a screenwriting class taught by Michael Maupin in the library here, and I think he worked on that project as well.

Regarding 2nd Unit. Those shows sound great. When will 2nd Unit require paid membership? How much will it be?

Thanks,

Ernesto.
Old August 15th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #10
Trustee

michael wasn't on our crew...perhaps another crew...it was large. thanks for checking it out.

...and who do we write the check out to?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television