FIRST 2nd Unit CONTEST at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television

2nd Unit Television
Companion discussion forum for the 2nd Unit TV web site.

Old August 30th, 2006, 06:14 PM   #1
2nd Unit TV

FIRST 2nd Unit CONTEST

As anyone who's visited www.2nd-unit.tv knows that we start production on a new docudrama with a working title of "El Papel". Many of those on the crew don't like the name but can't seem to come up with a better one. So, with that in mind, we're holding our first 2nd Unit contest calling it "Name That Production" A story was done on the production and is available on-line at 2nd Unit.TV. It'll remain there throughout the month of September. For being creative and coming up with a creative name, we thought it appropriate to give away a brnd new creative suite and we selected Adobe/Macromedia's Studio 8 which includes:

* Dreamweaver 8
Dreamweaver 8 is the industry-leading web development tool, enabling users to efficiently design, develop and maintain standards-based websites and applications. With Dreamweaver 8, web developers go from start to finish, creating and maintaining basic websites to advanced applications that support best practices and the latest technologies.

Get more done with Dreamweaver 8. New features and optimized workflows reduce the time required to complete common tasks.Integrate XML data with a powerful drag and drop workflow. Zoom in to get control over design and stay focused on the code with Code Collapse. Add Flash Video in five clicks of a mouse.

* Flash Professional 8
With Flash Professional 8, creative professionals design and author interactive content rich with video, graphics, and animation for truly unique, engaging websites, presentations or mobile content.

Flash Professional 8 has many brand new features including: amazing filter effects, integrated and stand-alone video encoding complete with support for alpha transparency, high-quality text rendering with advanced anti-aliasing control, improved text tools, and a new video plug-in to export Flash Video (FLV) files from professional video products.

* Fireworks 8
Create animated rollovers and pop-up menus with Fireworks 8's intuitive visual tools, and utilize round-trip editing capabilities with Dreamweaver 8 and Flash Professional 8 for greater efficiency.

Fireworks 8 has many new and improved features that make it a significant release. New features include effects like blends and shadows, more file formats supported for importing, pop-up menus in CSS format, and new image editing, autoshape properties and special characters panels for a better user experience.

* Contribute 3
With Contribute 3, websites stay fresh and resources become more focused by using a template-based, secure web publishing workflow that scales from small groups to full enterprises.

Contribute 3 offers flexibility and control for web content with features such as simple WYSIWYG browse -edit-and-publish capabilities, administrative controls for secured reviews before publishing, integration with Microsoft Office and Macromedia products, sharing of assets for efficiency and standardization, cross-platform and multi-browser support, and client- and server-side extensibility to support LDAP/ Active Directory connectivity and other custom systems integration.

* Flash Paper 2
FlashPaper 2 lets anyone easily convert documents, presentations, spreadsheet and other files into Macromedia Flash documents or PDF files with one click.

FlashPaper's tight integration with Microsoft Office products enable one-click generation of secure, compact Flash documents from within Office for use across websites, email, archiving and print.

So read the story on www.2nd-unit.tv and give us a name we can use. Yo'll be $500 richer in software if we pick you name and you'll get screen credit on the production.
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Do you want to use this thread for our entries? Are we limited to one entry per person? Questions, questions, questions. :) Cause I've got several titles in mind already but I thought I'd get some clarification first. :)

Cheers!
Old August 30th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #3
Wrangler

i can't tell if this works with the story's current storyline, or if it's more a nod to its roots, but how 'bout "The Shirt Off My Back" or "The Shirts Off Our Backs"

ditto to greg's questions.

awesome show, y'all. me and my biz partner both enjoy it.
Old August 30th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #4
2nd Unit TV

Let me answer these after I have a spot of dinner in about an hour so stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #5
2nd Unit TV

I think you should submit through the board so everyone can see the caliber of your work. We'll keep a listing and go from there. So should we consider those your entries so far? And yes; enter as many times as you'd like. In the end, Sony, Apple, Adobe and we will be selecting the finalists with the winner selected by majority vote..
Old August 30th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

First up:

With Honors
Old August 31st, 2006, 08:33 AM   #7
Major Player

check This one out

"The Evermore Elusive American Dream" or "The Race for an American Dream" or "Chasing America" or "Chasing my American Dream"
Old August 31st, 2006, 11:15 AM   #8
2nd Unit TV

We've had 3 submissions so far by people who think their ideas may be "stupid". I'm here to tell you there's no such thig. You shopuold hear some of the ones my wife and I came up with. Now those were "stupid". Anyway. Here are the ones from e-mail:

Making the Grade
New World Order
River Run
Border Wars
Class Action (rejected for previous name of MP)
Dream Chasers

Naming this production is a difficult thing to do because so much of the program's success hinges on a noteworthy name. That's why the wining prize for coming up with the right name is, we think, so great. $500 in software is appropriate where the competition is so important.
Old August 31st, 2006, 11:24 AM   #9
Wrangler

this one might be controversial but i think it gets at the duality of the subject since i've heard it used in both a subversive context and in a derogatory or sneering context, depending on who is speaking it:

"jose can you see"
Old August 31st, 2006, 11:50 AM   #10
2nd Unit TV

Actualy that might just be a finalist. I can see your point and more so I appreciate your concern.
J
Old August 31st, 2006, 12:08 PM   #11
Major Player

Jonathan, why is your working title "El Papel" or "The Paper. " What is that exactly an allusion to with respect to the theme or plot?

Last edited by Jaadgy Akanni; August 31st, 2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old August 31st, 2006, 12:25 PM   #12
Wrangler

jonathan: i wouldn't have even mentioned it except that i think you have the intention to take care with the subject and are looking for even-handed representation. my daughter was born in mexico so i am completely biased in favor of open borders where we treat all of our "huddled masses yearning to be free" (ain't that who the Statue of Liberty is inviting across the waters??) with dignity and respect.

i spent two and a half months living in border towns, and i have to say that one thing omitted from this discussion is how many US ex-pats are living in Mexico, buying up cheap land and cheap labor in Mexico and building out little banana republics. entrepreneurs who can't afford the start-up costs in this country go into these poor, grinding towns and start up businesses. which isn't in itself a bad thing--it could be a good thing--if that segment wasn't populated by people who were treated badly in this country and then feel justified treating people even lower down the totem pole even more poorly...some rough goings-on in those border towns, i can tell you first-hand.

okay, this is getting more political than i know dvinfo wants or permits, but this is one of those issues which cuts at the heart of my family and is highly personal to me...the politics merely follow where my heart already lives.....my daughter is my daughter because her birth mother was born and raised in one of these towns....sorry jonathan, not trying to hijack your thread, just explaining my innards on offering you that title....
Old August 31st, 2006, 12:26 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
this one might be controversial but i think it gets at the duality of the subject since i've heard it used in both a subversive context and in a derogatory or sneering context, depending on who is speaking it:

"jose can you see"
Must be my Italian, I don't get it. What does the title mean and who is Jose?
Old August 31st, 2006, 01:01 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Must be my Italian, I don't get it. What does the title mean and who is Jose?
Paolo, quella frase e una parodia o cio che si chiama "a play on words" in inglese. In questo caso "José can you see" e una parodia derivata dalle prime parole dell'inno nazionale degli Stati Uniti che dice "Oh say can you see..."

Sorry guys, I know Paolo speaks perfect English;I just couldn't resist practicing my italian with him. I was just explaining the play on words in "Jose can you see"
Old August 31st, 2006, 01:02 PM   #15
Wrangler

paolo: "oh, say can you see (by the dawn's early light, etc., etc)" is the opening line to the US national anthem. "jose" is used in this context as a generic stereotypical name representing a person of mexican descent. it doesn't refer to a specific person but rather to a stereotype which, like all stereotypes, can either be used as a weapon or reclaimed in defiance of its use as a weapon...

edit: what jaadgy said, i think!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television