High Hpes for Studio 60 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

2nd Unit Television
Companion discussion forum for the 2nd Unit TV web site.

Old November 1st, 2006, 09:08 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
I'll be in the neighborhood attending a mandatory sexual harrassment seminar that Universal is now requiring of everyone who works on their shows
Had to go through one of those when I worked in the high tech industry, one big waste of working time but necessary for big corporations to cover their publicly-traded asses, I meant assets ;)
Basically it boils down to: don't even think about asking anybody who works with you out. And if you really want to do it don't ask twice.

Anyway, Charles, let us know if you're still thinking about doing something for "2nd Unit", our viewers would love to see a Steadicam expert in action.

Take care.
Old November 1st, 2006, 10:22 PM   #17
Wrangler

I was just thinking about you guys in reference to this upcoming job. I'll be on it for 5 weeks, it's an NBC mid-season replacement show. Once it gets started I can feel out what would be involved in having you guys come in, as you are obviously aware there are all sorts of issues and complications with this sort of thing from a corporate level...!
Old November 1st, 2006, 10:41 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
as you are obviously aware there are all sorts of issues and complications with this sort of thing from a corporate level...!
Absolutely, if we can do it in that setup great otherwise it will be nice if we can get you in another location and have you demostrate some of the technique used with the Steadicam and talk about it, about training, etc. If is of any help, when it will be the right time, you can show the episodes that we shot on the set of "The Unit" and "The Office", as a way of highlighting that we are familiar with the requirements of a studio production.
Thanks again.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 12:18 AM   #19
2nd Unit TV

Yeah, I heard about that but it's the thing to do. NBC has had issues here before and legal has mandated it. It's never been a Universal thing. I'll be with the usual suspects from Sony, Apple, Adobe et.al. so call me on cell if you get here or we can meet at Rocky's for a burger if you can't make it up the hill.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 02:13 AM   #20
Wrangler

I will freely admit that while I have issues with "Studio 60", I've been really digging "30 Rock" which seems to effortlessly capture the funny (and I'm pretty picky about half hour comedies) a lot of the time.

In one pretty awesome dig at TV in general and (perhaps) Sorkin/Schlamme in particular, in tonight's episode Tina Fey and Scott Adsit are having a conversation on the set of their show and they start walking off the edge of the stage; the camera (Steadicam) pulls them around some set pieces etc. And then they arrived right back where they started, and Adsit's character said "hey, did we just walk in a circle?" to which Fey looked around and said "uh, yeah, I guess so". Adsit then high-fived her and said "OK, good walk-and-talk!" and they parted ways.

Top-notch insider humor. Made my night.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television