This is the end - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television

2nd Unit Television
Companion discussion forum for the 2nd Unit TV web site.

Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:42 PM   #16
2nd Unit TV

Thanks, Paolo and all of you but while it's true we travel comfortably, it's for a reason and that is to make the cast and crew that unselfishly give of their time to make 2nd Unit a success as comfortable as possible. They work with the best equipment I can provide them and stay in the best places we can afford now. People like Scott Chambers, Jaime Emmanuelli, Michael Ross, Tip McPartland, Isabella von R, Mike Pellagatti of Wildvisions in Phoenix, George Spiro Dibie, Jody Eldred, Ken Fisher, Da-Iry, Rob Kositchek, Rodney Charters, Jeff Sheldon, Warren Schultz and the dozens of others who have contributed so much over the past 14 weeks to making the show what it has become and now opened the doors to the Team's first feature we'll be shooting together as a Unit, deserve the best I can give them. And with "El Papel" starting to roll in 2 weeks with the support of Sony, Fujinon, Apple, Adobe, Studio Direct, LitePanels and the others, comfort becomes even more important. I really can't tell you how important it is to give back. What I do is a purely selfish endeavor. What some people feel when they get a pay check is no different than what I get when someone says, "Hey, thanks for teaching me" or "giving me the shot" or whatever. I really can't express how much this business means to me and how good teaching what I have learned over the years makes me feel. The friendships Joyce and I have built with these people, especially Paolo and Jaime, Scott and Michael, people that I work with day after day, night after night, week after week, is immeasurable and we'll keep doing it until you quit tuning in. That's all I have to say so again, if anyone wants to join the team, the doors are always open and everyone you'll find here will give you our best...not because we can afford to but because you deserve it for giving of your time to others through 2nd Unit and dvinfo.net.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 10:20 PM   #17
Major Player

Thanks. I just might have to take you up on your offer to help... but I think it will still be few years before I am able to reach that point. I cannot drive for one thing, I don't have a job to be able to afford anything, and for a few more reasons, I have only touched a minidv camera once, I have only used Imovie for editing, and so on. I can only hope that I will be able to get a little bit more money so I can afford a camera and editing system (I'm almost there, Another $150 to go)...

Once I get a little experience and learn some things so that I can be of use to you (physically helpful), I would love to jump aboard (if your still around)!

Thanks again guys!
~Gabriel~
Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:19 PM   #18
2nd Unit TV

OK so here's the deal. It's never too early to start learning. Send me your address off-line and I'll send you the $150 you're short to get your camera plus $5. The $5 is for a flashlight that I want you to buy with your camera. BUT there are a couple of conditions, though. First, while you're learning how to use your camera, I want you to use the flashlight against the walls in your room to see how the light dances off them. Then I want you to practice holding different shapes between the light and the wall to see how separation works. Then I want you to go get some different colored saran wrap; nothing dark just lightly colored and I want you to put it over the flashlight and use it to compliment the light and create additional separation. And one last thing. You stick with it and these boards asking questions when you don't understand and you study. The library system is a wonderful repository of information and I'd suggest "Reflections" as your first book. And don't just read through it. Read it, referring to the drawings in each chapter until you understand what the great cinematographers are trying to tell you. Believe me. It's not over your head. If I and the rest of us can understand it, so can you. If your library doesn't have a copy, then I will gladly send you one autographed by one of the greatest cinematographers I know, George Spiro Dibie. So there you have it. Deal or no deal?
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:27 AM   #19
Major Player

Oh, thats ok! Thank you tho! I would feel bad doing that.
I do make an allowance, its just not much... I'm trying to sell some things so that I can get the money even faster. But I should be able to have it before christmas, even if I don't sell anything. Plus my brother has offered me to take a loan from him, so I can get it now and then pay him back once a few more items sell (would happen to be looking for a 55gal. aquarium?).

I promise you tho, that I will stick to it, and practice, and keep posting on this forum.

Thanks for being so nice and helpful to me! You are a great person! Thanks.
~Gabriel~

PS: Once I get the camera, I'll try what you said here.

Last edited by Gabriel Yeager; October 3rd, 2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:10 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone

BTW, both photos were taken with a 15mm Canon fisheye, I then de-fished the photos with the free "DeFish" app.

Take care.
That apps pretty nice. Does it work on the PC side as well? Is it a photoshop app?

Man, crusing around in the Luxury RV, where's the Cristal and bevy of music video girls? Sorry, been watching too many music videos.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 06:04 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kang
That apps pretty nice. Does it work on the PC side as well? Is it a photoshop app?
It's a stand-alone app and it runs only on Mac. There are probably similar programs for the PC, do a Google search.
BTW, we do move with a nice Rv but... we load and unload a crapload of stuff in sweltering heat, work loooong hours and many times the crew call is at 6:00am. So, it's not all luxury and living large, it's really hard work :)
Old October 7th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #22
Major Player

What a great season finale! Congratulations on yet another wonderful, educational episode and on an unqualified successful first season.

I've been way too busy with my own projects the past 2 months but have kept up with the on goings of 2nd Unit TV. Your project is an inspiration to me. It has helped me refocus my efforts and to keep my eye on the prize.

I'm looking forward to season two and the day when I actually meet all of you on set.
Old October 7th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #23
Trustee

Thank you Jeff.

We all look forward to meeting you.
Old October 8th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #24
Inner Circle

One minor thing about the 'Unit'. I'ts Afghanistan, not afganastan, or is that the politically correct version? (Just kidding folks).
Old October 8th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carney
One minor thing about the 'Unit'. I'ts Afghanistan, not afganastan, or is that the politically correct version? (Just kidding folks).
Hey Joe.
The whiteboard that you see in the background is the actual board from the show, we didn't write on it. We started shooting at about 9:30pm, after Krishna and Giovanni spent the whole day recording a new episode. We placed cameras , lights and chairs but we left everything else untouched
Good spotting, though :)
Old October 9th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Hey Joe.
The whiteboard that you see in the background is the actual board from the show, we didn't write on it. We started shooting at about 9:30pm, after Krishna and Giovanni spent the whole day recording a new episode. We placed cameras , lights and chairs but we left everything else untouched
Good spotting, though :)
Conspiracy nuts are going to have a field day if it makes to broadcast without correction. No one wants to believe a bunch of highly paid, top notch professionals can't spell. :-))!
Old October 9th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #27
Trustee

But maybe that's part of the plot ;)
Old October 12th, 2006, 12:12 AM   #28
Trustee

Hey guys,

Although I've been a member here for 8 months or so, that's the first time I've checked out this forum. Great Job! I really enjoyed the current episode, and will check out some 'back issues'.

Thanks for the great resource. Keep up the good work.
Old October 12th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #29
Trustee

Thank you Ken.

Glad you found "2nd Unit"

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television