You Tube at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television

2nd Unit Television
Companion discussion forum for the 2nd Unit TV web site.

Old February 27th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #1
2nd Unit TV

You Tube

OK, OK. I'm getting burried with e-mail on this so let me clarify what I said at the Oscar party Sunday night to everyone who visits here as well as writes me those e-mails. In commenting on You Tube, I said no one worth their profession would post on You Tube and it seems no one bothered to hear what i said after that. For the record, I cast no aspersions on anyones' character or shooting ability nor on their abilities as a cast or crew member. What I meant was that You Tube's technology fails to allow for the quality that reflects the abilities of the shooter. Bandwidth being what it is price-wise, they have to use excessive compression which, prescriptively, denegrates the quality of the image. Most everyone I know, from actor to director to DP to certainly producer pays for and demands the best. It's why we pay the premim prices we do for glass and camera and to degrade the images we so painstakingly create is, in a word, unforgivable. There are other ways to showcase your work and if putting my money where my mouth is what it takes which, anyone who's known me knows will tell you is the truth, I'll foot the bill for showcasing your work in a compression scheme that doesn't destroy what you've worked so hard for. IMHO, You Tube is for the masses with handicams, not the quality filmmakers that haunt this or other serioous forums. You people are the creme of the crop, dedicated to the art and craft you love while the majority of the You Tubers and the like are, well, less than professional and that, in a few words, is why I said what I did to the press Sunday afternoon. Anyone who needs a space to showcase their serious efforts in filmmaking, 2nd Unit will gladly give it to you so the world can see what quality is all about. You work hard. You love your craft and we are pleased and honored to showcase your efforts sans the artifacts. I hope you all understand that.
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ames
I said no one worth their profession would post on You Tube
Jonathan,

Everyone had their opinions, and I will never fault you for yours, but I would like to help clarify the other side of the coin for you.

I might be in the minority around here, but I firmly believe that content is king. Video quality is important, but a huge step behind. I know that 7 days a week I would rather watch a ratty VCR-to-YouTube clip of Jon Stewart, "24" or SNL than watch a pristine clip of beatiful HD video that does not speak to me. Content wins for me without question, and it wins for vast majority of any potential general audience as well.

I also do believe in high video quality. I believe that a sharp and welcome composed frame helps to tell a story. I feel like the better the video quality is, the more you can immerse the viewer in the story. I know these things, and strive for them.

So why would a professional post to YouTube instead of taking you up on your offer to host higher quality video? Because on YouTube a hundred million people have access to it, and on your site they don't. That matters to me, and it always will. That matters more than anything else.

Will I post my director or DP demo reel there and send potential clients to it as an example of my work? Of course I won't. Will I post my best work there and and trade off quality for the sake of gaining audience, knowing that my content will have the greatest chance to connect with the greatest number of people? Of course I will.

I accept that for you the act of degrading your video quality is something that you will not do. I'm glad you take pride in your work. In exchange please do accept that other professionals have other priorities.

Keep up the good work with second unit. I love it.
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #3
2nd Unit TV

Anyone who has worked on set with me knows that I'm the first to do 2 things; 1) throw my arms around an actor or a focus puller, cameraman or anyone else who normally does their job professionally but then exhibits that moment when it all comes together, a moment all-too-rare unfortunately but the reason I fund 2nd Unit, to see that again all-too-rare moment when the newbie gets it. Then there's 2) when my attitude gets the best of me and I come down like the fires of hell when my team has given of their time and energy to pass on our knowledge free of charge and the same actor or focus puller, cameraman or anyone else who works the setlistens to what we have to say and continues to "do it their way". This is one of those number 1 instances. Never have I heard or read the words of an individual who hit the nail so squarely on the head so to speak as Barry just did and I'm proud to have him as a visitor. You are, my new friend, exactly right in everything you wrote but more importantly, in the way you said it. In one short posting you captured the essence of what I wanted to convey at the Oscars b ut didn't and I have to tell you, yours is the voice of reason, knowledgerand experience. Thank you. You are proof positive that forums like these serve a great purpose and, perhaps more importantly, you don't have to be disagreeable to disagree.
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:05 PM   #4
Major Player

Jonathan,

I'm glad you took it how it was meant. That is what I really like about this forum as well. Glad you to have you as a friend.

Stay in touch.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television