Best 360 Video Camera Under $2,000: Only $299 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > 360 Panoramic / Spherical + AR & VR

360 Panoramic / Spherical + AR & VR
Take a look *around.*

Old May 21st, 2019, 09:13 AM   #1
Trustee

Best 360 Video Camera Under $2,000: Only $299

The GoPro Fusion, which now shoots 5.8K video resulting in 5.6K 360 video (beta firmware available last January).

360rumors.com rates its video quality above all others less than $2,000. And that was before the firmware upgrade increasing resolution from 5.2K to 5.6K.

Example, good light:

Example, low light:

Select 5K with the gear to see maximum quality.

Both shot using Protune (flat) in 5.8K. Stitched using GoPro Fusion Studio 1.4 to Cineform, merged in Virb Edit (all free software).
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 11:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Best 360 Video Camera Under $2,000: Only $299

That’s a stunning price for a leading small 360 cam.

I’ve done a few projects on Fusion! You do need to have a sense of how to best use noise reduction for many existing light interiors... but, the image holds up nicely, in fact, the imagery is great for the price, the size, and the versatility!

Love this little 360 cam.

PS. To really see what this 360 video thing is, you *must* view on a headset! Scrolling around on a flat screen is no comparison to the immersive headset experience. The Oculus Go is well matched to the capabilities of a GoPro Fusion.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 11:57 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
That’s a stunning price for a leading small 360 cam.

PS. To really see what this 360 video thing is, you *must* view on a headset! Scrolling around on a flat screen is no comparison to the immersive headset experience. The Oculus Go is well matched to the capabilities of a GoPro Fusion.
Can the Go play 5.7K MP4 videos (from its storage, downloaded from a computer)? Or must one watch using YouTube or Vimeo?
Old May 23rd, 2019, 11:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I’ve not tested up to 5.7k on Go, in large part because I don’t shoot at 5.7, preferring the 5120x2560 at 30fps, aka 2560p. Isn’t 5.7k only 24p on Fusion? Stop 24p madness, that’s my heresy.

But, yes, with a USB connection to Mac or PC you have easy access to the Go’s local storage of 32 or 64GB, depending which version you buy, and can drop in your nicely rendered files. With these devices, with local storage, with not depending on a tethered PC with a hot graphics card like a Rift or Vive, how you do your final h.264/MP4 encode makes a difference. Handbrake to the rescue! It still does the nicest encode at the lowest bitrate... but, it doesn’t support 360 flagging, you have to use a separate metadata injector if you want your Handbrake encode recognized by Youtube or Facebook or whatever.
Old May 26th, 2019, 03:58 PM   #5
Trustee

Old August 6th, 2019, 04:02 AM   #6
Major Player

I picked up the Fusion for $249 during the sales last week along with two 64gb microSD and it is one of best steals out there.

The workflow challenges of the camera scared me initially and I didn't even consider the camera when they first marked it down to $299.

I guess for those expecting to just offload the files from the camera and edit, that is probably why the camera didn't "succeed" initially? I assume GoPro is getting the cameras out there cheap is to get intake with lots of users before they release the next Fusion.

(Fast turnaround with super quality would be hard unless one has a powerful computer and video card or maybe dividing the processing to multiple computers?)

The stabilization aspect of cameras is amazing while walking etc. Shots can look and feel like Steadicam shots. I use a a third selfie stick tripod as the included grip is unsatisfying plastic and hard to lock in place.

The Spatial Audio - Ambisonic sound is pretty awesome too. (The Insta 360 One X doesn't have spatial audio for example)

I used double sided 3M adhesive tape to attach a piece of foam over the microphones on top of the camera to help with wind. (The 3M gummy tape like you get with dash cam windshield mounts).

Just need to get my mindset to not "overshoot" as processing and storing the files are resource intensive.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > 360 Panoramic / Spherical + AR & VR