360 Comparison Video: Samsung Gear 360 versus Kodak 360 4K at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > 360 Panoramic / Spherical + AR & VR

360 Panoramic / Spherical + AR & VR
Take a look *around.*

Old July 29th, 2016, 02:39 PM   #1
Trustee

360 Comparison Video: Samsung Gear 360 versus Kodak 360 4K

First the Samsung, then the Kodak pair:

Samsung video stitched in the Samsung S7. The Kodak video was stitched using the Kodak PC stitching software.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2016, 01:17 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: 360 Comparison Video: Samsung Gear 360 versus Kodak 360 4K

Wow, the Kodak was way better. I am just getting into 360, so I apologize for the dumb comments, but apparently lens flare is hard to control when your lens is a 180-fisheye with no shade from the sun. My first thought was "HOLY LENS FLARE, BATMAN", but apparently there's no way to stop it.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2016, 11:27 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
Wow, the Kodak was way better. I am just getting into 360, so I apologize for the dumb comments, but apparently lens flare is hard to control when your lens is a 180-fisheye with no shade from the sun. My first thought was "HOLY LENS FLARE, BATMAN", but apparently there's no way to stop it.
Yes, the Kodaks are way better.

There may be a way of reducing the flare problem. The Kodaks have screwable transparent lens covers. Having these glass domes over the lens may worsen the flare problem. I may try an experiment with and without the covers to see if it matters. This video was shot with the covers on. I need to wait for a sunny day...
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 12:47 AM   #4
Major Player

The exposure and sharpness looks much better on the Kodak. Is there any way to correct the exposure on the Samsung?
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 08:27 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bigwood View Post
The exposure and sharpness looks much better on the Kodak. Is there any way to correct the exposure on the Samsung?
The Samsung, like the Kodak, does have the ability to control exposure (ev compensation only). Both cameras were set to auto, at ev 0. However, I do not see anything wrong with the exposure from either camera in these clips. The colors are just duller from the Samsung, and less sharp.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > 360 Panoramic / Spherical + AR & VR