Canon XL1s 3D Lens WANTED! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old October 4th, 2001, 08:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

16:9 and 3d Zoom lens

Does the XL1s have a true 16:9?
What is better to shot in 16:9 or 4:3?
Is there software that can convert 16:9 to 4:3 when I capture images then convert to 16:9 to play on tv like letterbox?
Does the 16:9 guide in 4:3 is that a true native 16:9?
Does anybody use colorchart or greychart ?for post?
What is best setting for ASA using alight meter for video i use 1/60 of sec?
It the 3d Zoom Lens worth buying to make Feature film can it support 3d glasses ?

Last edited by Mario Auxilly; October 4th, 2001 at 08:35 PM.
Mario Auxilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2001, 08:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Native 16:9

How close is is xL1s to Native 16:9?
Does the guide lines 16:9 in 4:3 are they true native 16:9?
help me????????
Old October 4th, 2001, 08:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: 16:9 and 3d Zoom lens

If no shooting you are editing if not editing you are shooting?
Old October 4th, 2001, 09:08 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Hello Mario,

<< How close is is xL1s to Native 16:9? >>

The XL1S, like the XL1 and every other DV camcorder in its class, is native 4:3. The 16:9 widescreen is interpolated, meaning, there is a loss of image quality when shooting in this mode.

You'll want to read an article on my website, The XL1 Watchdog at http://www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm -- choose "Articles Menu" then "Camera Head" and read "The Myth of Mini-DV Widescreen," an article I wrote for RES Magazine a couple of years ago. This article pretty much explains what's going on with 16:9 in these cameras.

<< Does the guide lines 16:9 in 4:3 are they true native 16:9? >>

No, they're not "native" 16:9, but they are the correct size and shape for converting to 16:9 during editing.

<< Does the XL1s have a true 16:9? >>

No camera in this price range is native 16:9. You have to step up to the JVC GY-DV700, the Sony DSR-500 or the Panasonic AJ-D600, all with 2/3rd inch CCD's, to get native 16:9. These cameras cost about $12,000 or so, without lens.

<< What is better to shot in 16:9 or 4:3? >>

This is a good question because a lot of people like to argue about it. The best way is to shoot in 4:3 with an anamorphic adapter attached to the lens, but there is no such adapter yet avvailable for the XL1 (there is for the GL1 / VX2000 /PD150 however).

<< Is there software that can convert 16:9 to 4:3 when I capture images then convert to 16:9 to play on tv like letterbox? >>

Most basic editing software such as Adobe Premiere, Canopus RexEdit and Apple Final Cut Pro can do this.

<< Does anybody use colorchart or greychart ?for post? >>

Personally, I don't use one.

<< What is best setting for ASA using alight meter for video i use 1/60 of sec? >>

Go to the Watchdog again, under Articles Menu > Camera Head, there is a two-part article about XL1 ASA Rating, you'll want to read those.

<< It the 3d Zoom Lens worth buying to make Feature film can it support 3d glasses ? >>

Well, the 3D lens is pretty expensive... it's about $8,000 and they're made by special order, one at a time... but it does support 3D glasses. The question is whether or not you want to spend eight grand on a lens!

<< If no shooting you are editing if not editing you are shooting? >>

If I'm not shooting or editing, I'm usually thinking about shooting or editing!

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2001, 10:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

16:9

Thanks that helped sort things out
Old October 10th, 2001, 06:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

3d Zoom Lens for XLs DV Camcorder

Hello,
I thinking of ordering the canon 3d Zoom lens when I buy my XL1S camera I want know if there is a site that shows me what other filmmakers have used this lens for ? What does it look like? is it worth it?Is it true 3d?
Does canon explain what new lens can be used for?
Thanks
Old November 3rd, 2001, 05:21 PM   #7
Max Rosenblum

3D Lens

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a website where you can checkout some output from this lens? I'm getting a bit tired of checking out the same press release.

Thanks,

Max
Old November 15th, 2001, 12:30 PM   #8
New Boot

trying to rent a 3D lens for the Xl-1

Does anyone know anywhere in L.A. that rents the Canon 3D lens? I have been hitting brick walls at every turn. So far I have tried everywhere from Samy's to Birns and Sawyer.
Please help me!
Augustine Arredondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2001, 07:57 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry my friend,

I seriously doubt you're going to find one for rent anywhere. These are made one at a time in Japan, at $8K apiece. Those who ordered one *really* want one and are not about to loan it out.

I hear they're quite popular in the adult entertainment market.

Old November 20th, 2001, 08:36 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

I'm unaware of anyone who actually has this lens. Not sure how you would put 3D video on the web anyway, but I'm not doubting it can be done.

The big response to this lens was from the adult entertainment industry, and I don't think they'll let you see some "results" without paying for it.

At $8,000 apiece, you have to *really* want this lens. If you're seriously interested in a purchase, call Canon and I'm sure they'll arrange a demo for you. Or contact the better dealers, like my sponsor ZGC, and they might work out a way to show it to you.

The 3D lens is kind of like a Lambo or Ferrari... you can't just walk up to a Toyota dealer and expect to test-drive one. But if you're serious about buying it, you *will* be accomodated, trust me.

Old November 20th, 2001, 11:22 AM   #11
Max Rosenblum

"yoo hoo, output?"

Chris,

Is output from this lens meant to be viewed with the standard red and blue specs, or a special projector perhaps?

Thanks,

-Currently tracking down someone at Canon who knows something.
Old November 20th, 2001, 11:30 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Red & blue specs -- No.

Polarized specs -- Yes.

Special projector -- No.

Polarized specs, special electronic Sony specs, polarized filter screen in front of the monitor -- Yes.

Hope this helps,

Old November 20th, 2001, 05:58 PM   #13
Wrangler

Chris, etc.,

I saw the 3D lens results in an demo/ad at the AIIM exposition in NYC in May. The promo was of Canon paper scanners shot, but it was shot the 3D lens on an XL1. We viewed with the LCD glasses (no screen). It was about consumer analog camcorder color EVF resolution, not what DV is capable of. Not sure what brand the glasses/goggles were My impresion is that it does field alternation. Something like even field to right eye, odd field to left eye. I did not get the impression that it was polarized but that method could be used for projection I guess

Not anywhere near on a par with the 3-D thing at Disney Workd in FL.

Looking beyond the adult video market (which may be more interested in high resolution). It may also do well for training, especially mechanical type things where the 3-D can really help understand how things assembled. [Wait, back in my military days, "training films" was sometimes used as a code word for adult flicks/video <g>.]

There is a Government Video Expo at in Washington, DC, next week. Canon was there last year, they just might be there with the lens this year.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2002, 10:05 AM   #14
dougorama@pol.net

3d lens

Can't look up "3d" in search. VERY interested in getting XL1 and this lens. Nowhere can I find ANY info on how to present the images though. Has anyone done it? Are we waiting for some new monitor?
Old February 7th, 2002, 04:54 AM   #15
Regular Crew

3D Lens

I have heard nothing about this, except that it is available. How does it work? Does it use LCD shutter glasses? has anyone here used it? For the super low price of $9,000 I should get two or three just to have a few spares! :)
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery