Laser Cats 3D! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old April 6th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #1
Wrangler

Laser Cats 3D!

This was on last night's SNL episode. Very funny.

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Li...tml#mea=237292
Old April 7th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I saw that on broadcast, but didn't have my cardboard anaglyphs handy at the time.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I saw that on broadcast, but didn't have my cardboard anaglyphs handy at the time.
I pulled my cardboard anaglyph glasses out for the small version linked above and it actually works. I'm sure they just strapped a couple handycams together, but it is still funny that they went to the trouble to ACTUALLY make it 3D and not just faked for the sake of the joke.
Old April 9th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
but it is still funny that they went to the "trouble" to ACTUALLY make it 3D and not just faked for the sake of the joke.
I think the real "trouble" with this skit is how ridiculous this makes 3D look. If this were a comedy skit with a "shot in Cinemascope" moment, what perception of Cinemascope would you be left with?

I do realize that this list is mostly 3D hobbyists, so maybe this is falling on deaf ears, but the concept of using 3D as a "gimmick" will kill the popular perception of 3D (again) faster than anything. There are persons who feel that if they don't give their viewers several "3D moments" an hour (eye-poking 3D, etc), that the viewers are going to leave the theaters unhappy. The sooner we step outside of this theme-park mentality, the sooner we are going to be able to open stereoscopic up as the intense, immersive storytelling tool it can be.

Don't throw things at your audience... draw people in.

-Eric
Eric Deren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 05:04 AM   #5
Wrangler

I think the sketch is really making fun of the 3D revival (the late 70's/80's) with Jaws 3D, Amityville 3D, Friday the 13th Part 3D, etc. Those were all "Part III" sequels and this is the third Laser Cats film. That's why I find it funny. I don't think they are making a comment on the current 3D trend in any way. These guys grew up in the 70's/80's and that is their frame of reference. (Have you seen Hot Rod?)
Unfortunately 3D WAS used as a gimmick back then, and you did have those "3D moments" where you had to put your glasses on, then take them off. Luckily for us 3D is becoming a standard technology, just like THX, Dolby Surround, etc. Not a gimmick, just an edge.
Old April 9th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Wrangler

I'd agree with you there Tim.

I had no idea that the 3D sections were actually functional, that's hilarious, just assumed they slapped the effect together. The whole thing reminded me of my Super-8 adventures in early high school, complete with the hand-scratched laser zaps right on the emulsion.

I laughed a LOT at this one. And the sight of that tiny pug pup going after the bemused cat made my day. Thanks for posting!
Old April 27th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Way too short for me to call. Only 5 or so seconds of footage? A longer amount would've done better justice.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery