Two Canon HV20/HV30's? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old April 8th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Two Canon HV20/HV30's?

With newer television sets and projectors becoming fully 3D capable, I'm thinking that 3D is approaching faster than we realize, and it's making me really consider getting a second HV20 or selling my HV20 and getting two HV30's to start getting into this now. I've done tons of reading up and it just seems all too cheap and easy with such a configuration to be believable. Does anyone here have any insight as to whether setting up two HV20/30's for stereoscopic video is actually more than just an intriguing waste of time?
Mike Thomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #2
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thomann View Post
Does anyone here have any insight as to whether setting up two HV20/30's for stereoscopic video is actually more than just an intriguing waste of time?
I can *officially* confirm that setting up two cameras for stereoscopic video is actually more than just an intriguing waste of time.

:-)

-Eric
Eric Deren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Eric. I was just about to upgrade to the EX1 over the HV20 when the topic of streoscopic 3D came up. Playing back 1080 footage on a 1080 TV from a single HV20 has been stunning for anyone that I've showed it to and the EX1 offers an even better image than the HV20. Since I only have resources for either the EX1 or two HV30's I'm left having to consider which would offer the greater visual impact in the end. If we consider that visual impact is related to the amount and quality of visual information produced and that the EX1 can produce a higher level of visual information over the HV30, it seems reasonable that two HV30's has the potential to easily out-do the EX1. The EX1 resolves 1000 lines of resolution and the HV30 resolves around 800. Would it stand to reason that two HV30's would produce a higher perception of realism over the EX1? With the EX1, both eyes see the same 1000 lines, whereas with two HV30's, each eye sees two separate 800 lines and you should perceive nearly 1600 lines. Additionally, the two HV30's would produce their 800 lines from two angles from nearly as spacial as our eyes. Two HV30's would cost less than a third of an EX1. Sure there are additional costs for both, but those additional costs seem relatively the same. Sorry about the extensive consideration, but these are such totally different approaches and if I delve into one, I wouldn't be able to switch for another year. I also like the fact that with two HV30's you still have the option to record in 2D with an extra camera to spare.
Old April 9th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

It's official - two HV30's in stereoscopic is a whole entire new league over any single 2D camera! Period. There is NO comparison. It's simply astounding. This will be perfect for the upcoming Mitsubiti LaserTV with dual-channel 1080p 3D input and active 3D glasses. Time to look for a low compression full 1920x1080p30 synched dual-channel capture solution. Maybe two of those little Cineform HDMI video capture modules would do the trick, if they could have a synch function.

BTW I found a lot of useful 3D info at http://www.anachrome.com including their use of the HV20's as well.
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

HV-30 LANC Support

Hello Mike,
If you have the HV-30 and are shooting stereo, could you tell me if that camera has built in LANC support? To use something like this; http://www.digi-dat.de/produkte/inde...tml#stefraLANC
Thanks,
Chris
Christo Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I haven't had the time to pursue this further, but the HV30's do not have LANC control. You can use an IR remote supplied with the cameras to start and stop them both simultaneously.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 12:33 AM   #7
Major Player

i have a setup: a hv10 and a hv20 side by side.
the shape isnt the same, so i have to make a special rig, but
the optics, field of view is the same, so it works for 3D ;-)

i have also some anaglyph photo on my site.
i like to hear your comment!
Old July 15th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #8
Major Player

3D viewfinder glasses

Is anyone aware of 3D glasses into which we can plug the RCA output from the 2 3D HV20's ? This would provide a good view of what is being shot...
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:06 AM   #9
Major Player

Well, that would be nice but the only 3D glasses I've seen have only one video input. You would think since it's two small screens in one unit that each of them would have their own video input but sadly, that's not the case.
Zack Birlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:11 PM   #10
Major Player

3D Viewfinder

Hmm. I wonder what could be used as a 3D viewfinder then ? Its a missing link so far..
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #11
Regular Crew

If only the two cams could be placed close enough to use their rear viewfinders. HV10s should do it.
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #12
Major Player

Yes' HV10's do it! :)
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #13
Major Player

Found a sync comparator

It is discontinued but I'm hunting for it.

http://www.ledametrix.com/lcdsync/

The circuit is here..
http://www.ledametrix.com/syncshep/index.html
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #14
Regular Crew

sync with a crt monitor

there is a way to sync camcorders without lanc.

point both camcorders to a crt analog tv or monitor

increase the shutter speed

the image in the camcorder screen will have a bright area and a dark area from the crt tv/moniotr

both camcorders must show the bright area in the same vertical position.

keep one camcorder turned on

turn on / shutt down the second camcorder until you get both showing the bright area from the crt tv/moniotr in the same vertical position

so adjust shutter speed as you want

3dtv.at - Camera Sync Tester User Guide
Adriano Apefos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery