Budget Setup = non-pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old September 26th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #1
Major Player

Budget Setup = non-pro

Maybe some of the non-professionals night be interested on amateur setup I am using to create some video's as a hobby. Here is the link:YouTube - ComPH8's Channel and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYQFLm4Q71U.
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Improved, simplified version

I've improved on the amateur 3D rig, which works very well and is based on the Merlin. Here is a YouTube link: YouTube - Stereoscopic 3D setup with Steadicam Merlin and Sony AVCHD Camcorders .Better quality (but anaglyphic - requiring glasses) are at these sites:
and http://exposureroom.com/members/ComP...b20c9b928e0d7/. The system is quite light and portable.
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:25 AM   #3
Trustee

Pavel, nice job. Can you tell me about the bar on which the camera are mounted? I need one.

Thanks
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:34 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Paul. I assume you are asking about the Steadicam version. The main bar is made of aluminum. The dimensions are 6x30x145mm. It has two holes in the center area, for the attachment to a small lower piece with M4 screws. The lower piece is 6x30x22mm. In the center there is a 1/4-20 thread to fasten it to the stabilizer and be almost balanced. Other two M4 threads are for the attachment to the upper/longer piece. If you don't use the Steadicam stabilizer, the Cullmanns have 1/4-20 threads in the bottom plates as well, for attachment to tripods, so the lower piece would not be needed, just the upper connecting/allignment bar.

There are small plastic bridges inside the Cullmann quick adapters, that I removed.

I did it this way so that the assembly is light and simple. It took about an hour to make it using hand tools. There are commercialy available bars from really inexpensive ones to fancy expensive professional ones as well.

Last edited by Pavel Houda; November 2nd, 2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old November 20th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #5
Major Player

YouTube in 1080p

Some maybe interested but not know that YouTube now supports 1080p, including 3D. One must have fair amount of MIPS under the hood to play it smoothly though. YouTube - Merlin 3D SBS Audio 1080p
Old November 22nd, 2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Houda View Post
Some maybe interested but not know that YouTube now supports 1080p, including 3D.
Ahoj, Pavel. I noticed YouTube asks you which of the different 3D viewing methods you prefer. Which begs the question how exactly did you encode your video. It would seem you gave it both the left and the right images in full. How?
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:53 PM   #7
Major Player

Ahoj Adame. I encoded the video in side-by-side format. It actually looses half the horizontal resolution that way, but there are many other image quality degradation due to the bandwidth limitation of the YouTube anyway. I use the yt3d:enable=true tag, so the player outputs the video in about dozen formats of choice, depending on the display device or viewing preferences. To my knowledge they cannot deal with full images, but need to fit both L/R onto the same frame. They do have a tag for very flexible selection of the corners of the views, so one cane do, for example, over-under as well. Search of their site gives loads of explanations.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 04:14 PM   #8
Trustee

Thanks, Pavle, I got it now. I missed the part about the horizontal squeeze first time I read the instructions on YouTube.

I have a Loreo Lens-In-Cap for Canon EOS. It has two lenses and produces a left and right image but without the squeeze, so the result is a 3D image that is taller than its width. Once I get my Redrock 35 mm adapter, I want to use the Loreo with my EX3. So, I will have to squeeze it horizontally then. I guess I will have to upload a video that has 1080 lines but only 960 vertical lines then. Or maybe crop it to 540 horizontal lines and squeeze the vertical dimension to 960.

I will play with it once I receive my Redrock adapter.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 04:48 PM   #9
Major Player

I don't know their limits. I think that you may still be able to do it. They have a tag: yt3d:(left/right)=x1,y1,x2,y2; which allows to set the dimensions of the left and right views. I would give it a try. I don't think that you have to squeeze the sides. Worst case you should find a way to compress and composite the two views, but I don't think that you have to. There is also yt3d:aspect=x:y tag, that should help with that. You could also try to ask the "youtube pete". He made contacts via this thread: youtube 3d feature (yt3d:enable=true) - some issues - YouTube Help . Your setup is actually cool, you should have the image split on the sensor already, correct? Alignment and various matchings of video characteristics are taken care of in the camera. I'd think that you are set with the Loreo. You have something like this, correct: Loreo Products - LOREO 3D Lens in a Cap ? There is a Japanese fellow who does over/under, where squeeze is complete opposite from mine (x vs.y) and his video looks fine, so I don't see why no scaling should cause problems, as long as you can deliver both views in the same frame.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 06:24 PM   #10
Trustee

Thanks, that is very helpful. Yes, that is the Loreo lens I have.
Old December 14th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #11
Trustee

Well, I got my Redrock adapter and, unfortunately, it has a serious design flaw which makes it unsuitable for the Loreo. The problem is that the Redrock is not centered properly. That is, the entire image is shifted to the left. Because of that, the center of the image is to the left of the center of the frame.

While the Loreo can fill up the full 16:9 frame, the Redrock design flaw makes the left image smaller than the right image.

When I asked about it at the Redrock forum, they quickly moved my question to a private area accessible only by those who have already bought their product. It turns out this is a very common problem with them, but they blame it on all the camera manufacturers, including Sony.

This is very disappointing, as one of the main reasons I bought their adapter was to use it with my Loreo.
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #12
Trustee

OK, I have spent this entire week writing a Sony Vegas plug-in to allow me to cut out parts of the image so I can use the Loreo with the Redrock adapter. Today I shot some quick footage, processed it with the plug-in and uploaded it to YouTube.

That has shown me that I need to add a little more functionality to the plug-in before I can have some half-decent 3D videos made with the Redrock/Loreo combination. I will keep you posted of my progress.

By the way, I named the plug-in Bororo 3D in honor of one of my favorite movies, Akce Bororo.
Old December 28th, 2009, 02:59 AM   #13
Major Player

Actually I like it. The alignment is good. Impressive result, I am interested in your progress.
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Houda View Post
The alignment is good.
Thank you. I meant that I need to add more functionality to the plug-in even though it worked for this video.
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #15
Trustee

I have added a little more functionality to my plug-in and here is another video processed through it. Now, if I could somehow convince Visual Studio to compile a 64-bit version, I would be happy. Right now I can only use it with the 32-bit version of Sony Vegas.

This is the first Sony Vegas plug-in I ever wrote. I want to write two more which will allow additional 3D features. When I have all three finished, I will make them available for download. That is, if anyone is interested.

Also, is it just my computer being too slow, or is the video a bit jerky?
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery