Buying TV, need recommendations for 3-D readiness at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old November 24th, 2009, 05:44 AM   #1
Trustee

Buying TV, need recommendations for 3-D readiness

I assume the scan speed is one of the most important factors for viewing future 3-D content, no? If so, what speed do I need as a minimum, and optimally? Thanks
Old November 24th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Major Player

Unless you are considering anaglyphic 3D, the TV must be able to deliver left and right video to the proper eye. To my knowledge, Mitsubishi DLP and Laser TV's on the market in the US now, can do that (http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/). The Samsung plasma should be able to do that, (like the PN42A450P, but they are not pushing it very hard). There are quite a few various technologies display monitors, mainly intended for gaming that are 3D (LCD and plasma), but these are not TV's. Philips just announced one that needs no glasses (http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAA#ps-sellers) and (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF-PMN3aK8g). Costs about $9k. Samsung, Panasonic and Sony are pre-announcing other TV's, but I don't know when they'll enter the market. The stereoscopic delivery needs to be designed in, scan rates are not enough.

Last edited by Pavel Houda; November 24th, 2009 at 12:30 PM.
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Trustee

Sounds like I should not even consider 3D for this TV. Maybe my next one?
Old November 24th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Major Player

That is a personal choice. I have Mitsubishi DLP for 3D because I was involved with their design since their conception. I like them a lot, but like I said, it is a personal choice. Panels are nice as desktop monitors, but as the main TV they need lots of power (specially plasmas), are very expensive (10x or more) in sizes of 65-82 inches, and the panels are very complex for 3D. In case of DLP, the step from 2D to 3D is trivial. In addition Laser can produce colors that no other technology can even dream of. BTW., I am an Engineer, not a Salesman.

Last edited by Pavel Houda; November 25th, 2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old November 27th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Major Player

They must be trying some new panels in UK as well. Just saw this article: Sky TV trials 3D sports coverage - Times Online . Another article is here: http://www.digitalspy.com/digitaltv/...at-the-o2.html . Seems that they were using JVC LCD panels. These are usually dual layer, or every other line is polarized in opposite direction, clockwise vs. counter-closckwise, or 45 degrees in sort of V pattern, each leg of the V for one eye. Either way something that cannot be updated from currently available LCD TVs practically.

Last edited by Pavel Houda; November 28th, 2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old December 8th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Curious if anyone is familier with the new
Hyundai 3D JCD W240S Monitor:

http://www.vrlogic.com/html/hyundai.html
Carlton Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #7
Inner Circle

in theory, any screen is ok for 3D.
you need to find a device that can feed two pictures from two different streams (left and right). and god news, that's what any TV set actually do.
For sure, the higher rate the better, but any 60p or 60i monitor can be used, especially when 30p is so common these days.
the rate used in theater can go higher as 200 pictures per secondes, but 100-120 picture per second should be nice enough.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery