Larger then life 3d i theaters... is Indy 3d Marketable? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old December 15th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #1
Trustee

Larger then life 3d i theaters... is Indy 3d Marketable?

The concert series I worked on this summer that was shot in 3d is out in theaters around the country for a few more days (until the 17th). The bands featured for this one were Dave Matthews Band, Ben Harper, and Gogol Bordello. The weekend results were a little disheartening to me (and probably the producers as well) It does make me wonder if there is a market for "indy" 3d production. I know that Avatar will have a huge box office but I've also seen adds like crazy for it. Of course I don't know what the traditional market is for these movies, does anyone have any experience getting 3d distribution?

I wonder if it may have been really poor timing, I.E. will avatar create a larger demand for 3d films and events? I wonder if waiting one week would have made a big difference.
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

probably Avatar will sort between people who "like it" and people who "don't like it".
So it is not obvious it will make any good on that side. (there was already many other movies in 3D and none of them changed the world).
the good point is some theater will invest in 3D equipement and will be in the need to make some return on investment, so anything with 3D sticker on it could be welcome.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #3
Trustee

You've got a good point, I have this feeling that avatar may be a little bit bigger of a deal, in that it is not animated, but "live action" (I know I know) so it's sorta introducing audiences in a major way to live action 3d.

Of course I could be way off, I know they had my bloody valentine and some horror movies, but a lot of those were gimmick, this stands the chance at being 3d without the gimmick, which I think is the most significant advancement for a technology.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery