What is more intuitive? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old January 16th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #1
Trustee

What is more intuitive?

Last night I uploaded two test videos on YouTube and Pavel pointed out I had L/R reversed (thanks, Pavle). That was because I was using my plug-in (in fact I was testing it), and I thought I had designed it one way, when I actually designed it the opposite way.

So, this brings about a question I would like everyone to answer before I release the plug-in: When combining a left and a right video in a NLE, what do you find more intuitive when placing each video on a separate track? Do you intuitively place the left video on the track above the right video track, or does placing the right one above the left one seem more natural to you?

I am talking about when you have shot two separate videos, the left and the right, and want your software to combine them into one stereoscopic video.

It makes no difference in editors that work with static photographs, but video editors, such as Sony Vegas, use separate tracks placed above each other.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #2
Wrangler

It's a good question. Typically the right eye is considered by most stereographers as the dominate eye and the one to use for offline editing. However... I intuitively consider "left" to be prominent angle to use simply because it alphabetically comes first.

I have added the option to use either left or right as the primary track in the new version of Stereo3D Toolbox.
Old January 16th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks, Tim. I appreciate the answer. I had right on top originally, and that is what got me "in trouble" while editing a video last night. I put left on top and told the plug-in to swap right and left because YouTube expects it that way. So it resulted in the left being left and the right being right and YouTube showed it wrong. Luckily, YouTube has a tag for that, so I did not have to redo the video.

I, too, think left on top is more intuitive, though for a different reason: Most languages write left to right, but when they want to display text vertically, they start on the top. So, we are used to seeing the leftmost letters on the top. And I think it affects us into thinking that top=left and bottom=right.

I have changed my plug-in that way. And unless I hear a major push for changing it back to top=right, I will now keep it that way. I hope to be releasing it in a matter of days now. Unfortunately, it will be 32-bit only because I cannot convince Microsoft Visual Studio to compile a 64-bit version and when I do it by hand, the system cannot open the DLL. :(
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
I have added the option to use either left or right as the primary track in the new version of Stereo3D Toolbox.
Hi Tim,
a new version of Stereo3D Toolbox? Have I missed something? I just checked your Website and under version history, there is nothing new. Or do I need to download the latest FX Factory version?
Best regards, Jürgen
Juergen Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #5
Wrangler

Sorry v2.0 won't be released until NAB (April.) We are doing a private beta on this version and taking great leaps and bounds toward interconnectivity with other finishing platforms and some other stuff I can't talk about yet.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery