DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   EXPERTS! I have a QUESTION... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/476446-experts-i-have-question.html)

Marius Holstad April 8th, 2010 07:46 AM

A QUESTION: Is it possible to create a "real-world" virtual 3D landscape?

I was wondering if it is possible to make a 3 dimensional model of reality?

I've been searching the internet for an answer, but I couldn't find one. So I decided that this was the best forum to post it on, since it seems that everyone here have some kind of experience.

What I mean by my question is; is it possible to take, let's say a camera, shoot an environment and later go on the computer to explore it as a fully 3D landscape.

Are there a way to do this at all?
If not, does someone have an idea that might change the entertainment business for ever?

I would really appreciate if you took the time to answer my question.
Thank You^^

Adam Stanislav April 8th, 2010 08:09 AM

I think you need to be a little bit more specific. Better yet, a lot more specific.

Marius Holstad April 8th, 2010 08:39 AM

I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear. I’m not into the filmmaking business. I'm only a n00b.
I were wondering if it is possible to take real-life pictures and create a digital space out of it. Like in the movies when they stop the time and the camera is still rotating around an object.
One could describe it as a «real» virtual world.

Hopes it helps you to understand my question better.

Robert Turchick April 8th, 2010 09:00 AM

closest I can think of is in After Effects, you can get a plugin called Horizon from Trapcode

Won't be true 3D but really gives you the sense you're in the photo.

Red Giant Software: Trapcode Horizon 1.0.1

The "Matrix" effect is a whole different can of worms using multiple cameras on a curved rig

Noa Put April 8th, 2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marius Holstad (Post 1511619)
Like in the movies when they stop the time and the camera is still rotating around an object.

The effect you are describing has made the matrix so unique with their used effects but that was achieved by a lot of camera's side by side which are were filming simultaniously. They also used that trick in the movie crank - high voltage where they attached several small hd camera on a bend tube for their action scene's.
How exactly they put it all together in post I don't know.

You should also use a more descriptive title for future reference.

Marius Holstad April 8th, 2010 11:06 AM

Thanks

Thank you for all the replies they were very helpful.
I know it might sound like a silly question, but I was just wondering.

I’m very interested in your opinions on how to manage this. I think it could be very useful some time in the future.

And I’ll try to be more descriptive next time.

Thank You

Adam Stanislav April 8th, 2010 01:07 PM

The Matrix effect is called bullet time. As far as I know, it is patented (or perhaps just trademarked). But I would start by searching the web for bullet time.

Alister Chapman April 8th, 2010 02:28 PM

Surrey University are working on a system that uses 3 4K cameras shooting at 120 degrees to each other, the data is then imported into a computer and then you can view the scene from any angle that you want.

Giroud Francois April 8th, 2010 03:30 PM

there are many programs that use this principle.
you shoot something , then rebuild 3D from the 2D picture.
many radar or satellites picture are made like this.
It is easy for some cases , like buildings and streets, since right angle is usually the king.
Occlusion (holes) is a problem , since you need several views to resolve the problem.
3D scanners use a laserline as reference. Projected on the subject, the camera sees the line distorded according the shape of subject and rebuild it.
Another great way is using Infrared levels (or even just daylight). result are really astonishing but far from being really usable.
using simply the view taken from a camera will probably give less than 50% of the information, the remaining percentage being wrong info or no info at all.

Giroud Francois April 8th, 2010 03:38 PM

check
Automatic Photo Pop-up

and

Make3D: Turn a 2D Picture Into a 3D Model

and
Advanced Scientific Concepts Inc

Steve LaPierre April 15th, 2010 09:38 AM

Isn't this also similar to Google earth? Probably not the detail you are looking for but it is amazing to use it.

Philip Howells April 16th, 2010 09:10 PM

Marius, What you ask specifically is impossible because you don't have the information about the reverse or hidden side of your simple photo.

However, I'd recommend you check out e-on software's Vue. It's come on a long way since we tried to use mit to create the scenery for a fly-round of specific parts of the French Alps. In that time we had to supply all sorts of data which wasn't available. Now I notice someone is using it for a demoof Ireland so it's obviously come on a lot. Mind, it's expensive but very clever!