DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   Sony EX3 3D-Camera !! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/478007-sony-ex3-3d-camera.html)

Juergen Hansen May 2nd, 2010 12:52 PM

Sony EX3 3D-Camera !!

Just saw this here - a prototype 3D version of the EX3 - competition to the Panasonic 3D camcorder!!!
Sony EX3 prototype 3D camcorder spotted, destined for retail channels? (update: we've got specs) -- Engadget
Sony Enters the 3D Camcorder Race | Sloan Productions | San Diego Video Production Company
and here: Filmmakers Garage (scroll down to NAB 2010 - Day 2)
It was presented at the Digital Cinema Summit during this years NAB by John Honeycutt of Discovery Channel.
In 3 weeks I will attend a Panasonic presentation of their AG-3DA1 camcorder. Good to know, that there is competition on the horizon.
Best regards,
Jürgen

Paul Cascio May 2nd, 2010 04:00 PM

Not sure I am impressed. Both Sony and Panasonic have replaced good lenses and AFAIK, split the sensor size in half to produce what appears to be a very expensive, consumer-grade camera.

Adam Stanislav May 2nd, 2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cascio (Post 1522383)
split the sensor size in half

The NAB Day 2 link says, "three 1/2” CMOS sensors per eye". It also says, "adjustable interaxial distance (1.5” to 3.5”)". Both of those sound good to me.

Paul Cascio May 2nd, 2010 04:14 PM

Thanks Adam. As you can see from the spelling of my name, I only have one eye. :) It just looked to me that they tried to rush to market.

Bruce Schultz May 3rd, 2010 07:44 PM

Direct from Sony, (but not PR)

"Sony is [..] developing a new camera system for the needs of independent producers, especially "run-and-gun" natural history. This new camera system is not a product announcement; it is a conceptual prototype in its early development. There is not a product plan yet. However, Sony and Discovery are working together to gather feedback. Field tests are scheduled to start in July.

These details were announced at the keynote speech at the SMPTE Digital Cinema Summit, by John Honeycutt of Discovery Channel.

-3 CMOS 1/2-inch sensors per eye
-full 1920x1080 progressive capture
-interchangeable lens capability
-adjustable inter-axial distance - 1.5 to 3.5 inches -
-adjustable convergence via horizontal lens shift
-full metadata support
-it is being designed by Sony with input and collaboration from Discovery

Technology was drawn from Sony San Jose laboratories, Sony Pictures (Culver City) and Sony Atsugi, with major contributions by 3D consultants 21st Century 3D

Patrick Williams May 4th, 2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cascio (Post 1522391)
Thanks Adam. As you can see from the spelling of my name, I only have one eye. :) It just looked to me that they tried to rush to market.

I played with the Panasonic at the NAB convention quite extensively. They had six or seven of them there that all performed well, and it's definitely ready for prime time. I was totally blown away by the camera and I was almost ready to put a deposit on the Panasonic---until I saw that Sony was coming out with a camera. I already have an EX1, so getting the Sony would be an easy adjustment for me. I'll definitely be looking at the Sony, but if there are any issues with it, I wouldn't hesitate to get the Panasonic. I'm guessing that both Panasonic and Sony have been developing these cameras for a long time knowing that 3D TV was definitely going to happen. Now to hear something from JCV and Canon.

Steve LaPierre May 10th, 2010 07:52 AM

Did any more information come out about the Sony single lens 3D camera you posted back in October 2009? I don't know how to reference another thread but it was http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stere...3d-camera.html and this referenced a link to
Sony Global - Sony Develops High Frame Rate Single Lens 3D Camera Technology

I guess it was an even more expensive design but it sure sounded nice.