DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   Creating DCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/482920-creating-dcp.html)

Rahela Jagric August 5th, 2010 09:12 AM

Creating DCP

Dear all,

I have a question regarding making of a DCP. I need a DCP of my short s3D film and since I have no previous experiences with making a DCP for 3D, I was wondering if You guys could recommend me some post-production companies that make 3D DCP for reasonable price?

I've heard that there is also some software which enables everyone to make a DCP from their home computers, but I don't know if it is really so simple. If that is true, does anyone know the name of particular software?

All your wise advices and help is much appreciated!
Rahela

Tim Dashwood August 6th, 2010 01:16 PM

The software options available that can accommodate 3D DCP usually starts at about $8000 US.
If you just have a short film it isn't worth it. If your film is 20 minutes or longer then it might be something to consider.

I've had DCPs done by Technicolor and Deluxe. Besides some confusion over colorspace/gamma the results were superb. Ideally you would provide DPX sequences in XYZ colorspace but I provided TIFF sequences in RGB at 2048x1080 (2K.) However, they can accept 1920x1080 and then format it correctly for the 2K DCP. Only 24P or 48P are acceptable as framerates for digital cinema packages. 25p, 60i and 30P will not work.

The only thing I would reconsider now is the "ghost-busting" pass for Real-D that had to be done at Technicolor LA or RealD. It was the turnaround time required for this part of the process that inspired me to write my own ghost busting plugin. However, most of the Real-D servers have now been updated to perform ghost-busting in real-time during projection so you don't need to make a special ghost-busted DCP for Real-D theatres.

Prech Marton August 6th, 2010 02:04 PM

What about opencinematools?
Anybody use it with success?

opencinematools - Project Hosting on Google Code

Rahela Jagric August 7th, 2010 03:37 AM

Dear Mr. Dashwood,

thank you very much for your reply.
My film is 15min long and was shot in HD. If it's not too much to ask, is it possible to find out how much would it cost me to have a DCP made by Technicolor or Delux?

Thank you very much!

Tim Dashwood August 7th, 2010 11:41 AM

15 minutes will likely cost $6000+ USD with a stereo soundtrack. You should call them for an exact quote.

Kaspar Kallas August 7th, 2010 05:48 PM

Hi

Opencinematools have some success, sometimes it works flawlessly - sometimes it has problems. It is on only STMPE packing so Dolby 100 series players will not work with that.

My company does 3d DCP's both STMPE or interop packaging and 15min would set You back 960USD, if interested contact me off the list kaspar () digitalsputnik.com / but again if You do not have a budget but have time (to play with opencinematools) and have access to some cinema so You could test Your results (like a friend working in the cinema or just go and ask if you could try some test footage for 10min before the shows start in the afternoon) - it is an viable option.

Hope it helps...
-Kaspar

Prech Marton December 18th, 2010 05:25 AM

Is there any software for PC, that can playback 3D DCP to dual screen output?
Maybe Stereoscopic player support this? Any other?
What CPU is needed for smooth playback?

Benjamin Smith December 22nd, 2010 10:04 AM

ExpressDCP in London can make a 3D DCP for something like £40 per minute.

Express DCP - Digital Cinema Package Encoding - Home

We tried the open source route - it doesn't work. Alternatavely easyDCP costs like £3000.

/b

David Margolis February 6th, 2011 09:34 PM

ExpressDCP Rates

Hi there. This is David from ExpressDCP (soon to be Soho Digital Media). Thanks for mentioning us but you got our rates wrong. At the moment we're £14 per minute 2K and £23 per minute 4K / 3D. And that includes a QC session in our calibrated theatre. Please drop us a line if you need help with DCP encoding. And we can also do DVD and Blu-ray authoring.

Express DCP - Digital Cinema Package Encoding - Home

Carlo Macchiavello April 3rd, 2011 01:01 PM

Re: Creating DCP

check this, i use it, and work like a charm
DCP Pro from Inition

Denise Quesnel June 2nd, 2011 12:28 AM

I apologize for resurrecting an old thread, but has anyone used this? FinalDCP. Magna Mana Production FinalDCP

Works on Mac and apparently is retailed for only Euro 750,00 which is the best price I have seen on any DCP so far- but I think this has been *just* released or perhaps not released at all yet? Just curious as I have yet to try it.

Neil Richards June 2nd, 2011 08:14 AM

Suggest you try openDCP here

opendcp - Open Digital Cinema Package software - Google Project Hosting

and forum here:

OpenDCP

I'm trialling this at the moment, looks ok so far although still in development

Jesse Blanchard September 6th, 2012 12:53 PM

Thought I would bump this thread since it's been over a year. Any new DCP software out there? Also, what is the feeling on 30 FPS DCPs?

Carlo Macchiavello September 6th, 2012 06:16 PM

30fps DCP?
is it a standard?
i know 24 and 48 fps, for DCP stereo, but not 30. where are you found this spec?

Jesse Blanchard September 7th, 2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlo Macchiavello (Post 1751725)
30fps DCP?
is it a standard?
i know 24 and 48 fps, for DCP stereo, but not 30. where are you found this spec?

I meant that I shot the source material at 30FPS.