DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   Zalman M215W compared to Zalman M220W (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/483150-zalman-m215w-compared-zalman-m220w.html)

Alister Chapman August 10th, 2010 12:39 AM

Zalman M215W compared to Zalman M220W

Hi all.

For a while I used a Zalman M220W as a monitor for my editing (works great with stereoscopic toolbox) but decided I wanted to upgrade to the newer 1920x1080 M215W.

The old M220W was nice to have as passive glasses are IMHO the easiest to use for editing as shutter glasses present flicker problems when viewing non sync monitors. The 220W however is 1680x 1050 resolution which is not ideal but it's biggest problem is the very narrow vertical viewing angle than needs you to get your head in exactly the right spot. I wasn't really expecting that much of a difference from the Zalman M215W but I have found that the viewing angle is greater. It still isn't huge, probably around twice that of the older model but it is much easier to adjust the angle now for a comfortable and not too constrained viewing angle.

The image quality is very good, colours are bright and vivid. It is very contrasty, and this did give me a few problems getting it colour calibrated. Once dialled in however I'm very happy with my new S3D edit monitor.

Pete Murphy August 13th, 2010 05:35 PM

I have a M220W too and I agree it is a good, convenient 3d monitor. The viewing angle however, while it is better than before, is still quite restrictive -- and it would be a big drawback for some users I think. It is only really suitable for one user at a time and no good for group showings. If you like to slouch at your computer desk it will be a real challenge :-). For movie editing and rapid previewing of content and watching Youtube 3d videos it is very good. For stills most users would be happier with a 3d Vision display I think. I have a Samsung and stills look so much sharper on that.

Peter Murphy

Pete Murphy August 13th, 2010 05:52 PM

Actually I have the Zalman ZM-M240W
::: Zalman, leading the world of Quiet Computing Solutions :::
which is the new HD model

... all these product names!

Peter Murphy

Prech Marton August 16th, 2010 12:50 AM

Is there any affordable product on the market, which can see a small group (4-5 people)
at one time, and do not require expensive glasses?
I also buyed, the ZM220, but the viewing angle was very bad, also for just me, so i sell it
and search a better monitor to show my pictures, videos at exhibitions.
But not found yet :(

Pavel Houda August 16th, 2010 10:58 AM

"Is there any affordable product on the market, which can see a small group (4-5 people)
at one time, and do not require expensive glasses?"

One one of the forums the guys discusses a system consisting of two low cost front projectors with polarizers in front, fairly inexpensive screen ($120 I seem to recall) and passive glasses. I seem to recall it was for about $500. That is of course solution for presentation, not for editing.

Prech Marton August 16th, 2010 11:00 AM

thanks.
we have a dual projector setup with mobil silverscreen, but now i need an easy portable
3d monitor, that is good for very small groups.
sorry for a little offtopic