How do you make a 3D blu-ray disk that will play on a 3D TV with a 3D blu-ray ray pla at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old August 16th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How do you make a 3D blu-ray disk that will play on a 3D TV with a 3D blu-ray ray pla

Hello all

Does anyone know how you can make 3D blu-ray disks that play on a 3DTV set? I have the left and right eye movies in 1920x1080 30p format; but I can't see any easy way of making the blu-ray disk!

I am aware the format is fairly simple, I think it's just a side by side movie on an otherwise conventional blu-ray; but maybe you have to set a flag or something to "tell" the player it's 3D so it display on the user's 3DTV.

Any help appreciated!

/ben
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 08:26 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Ben its very easy and I made a blu-ray 3d dvd just an hour ago with 10 minutes of footage.

I own the Sony 40 inch 3D tv. I made the 3D footage in Tim Dashwoods program in side by side mode and outputted a high quality side by side file. Brought this into toast 10 and burned a blu-ray DVD.

Stuck it in the PS3, chose side by side from the Sony TV 3D menu and Bob's your uncle!
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Make squeezed sbs(side-by-side) or a/b (above/below) streams, author regular 2D disc and play on the TV. You will have to select the 3D mode and type of layout on the TV set manually.
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You won't even need a 3D Blu-ray player if you create a SbS (Half) stream. You'll lose half of horizontal resolution though, but it looks pretty good regardless.
Petri Teittinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

OK so side by side is good. Do ALL 3D TVs have a feature that lets you set the mode like this?

Can you encode like this 1920x1080 30p or does it have to be 24p or something?

/ben
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I don't think 1080p30 is a valid BD video format. You should convert it to either 23.976/24p or 59.94i. Latter one should be easier if the footage was originally shot in 30p.
Petri Teittinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Smith View Post
OK so side by side is good. Do ALL 3D TVs have a feature that lets you set the mode like this?

Can you encode like this 1920x1080 30p or does it have to be 24p or something?

/ben
Don't worry about it. If you use good BD authoring S/W, e.g. Toast on Mac or Sony DVD Architect, etc... It will take care of the temporal characteristics for you.
Old September 19th, 2010, 02:29 AM   #8
Major Player

I'm also interested in it:
Do ALL 3D TVs have a feature that lets you set the mode like this?
Old September 19th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #9
Major Player

All the 3DTVs complying with the standards in the US. I am not sure about Europe, but I would be surprised if they didn't do it. Unless they want to change the broadcast gear or bandwidths, they need to support the functionality, so it is just an issue of the UI (User Interface). The MVC needs higher bandwidth.
Old September 20th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #10
Inner Circle

some official specs say that for interlaced content you organize pictures top/bottom and for progressive, it is side by side, left eye is always the first.
you can create MVC movie with the free nokia MVC encoder.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 07:39 AM   #11
Major Player

a download the mvc encoder, but only .h .c and .dsp files are there.
Where is some executable?
And when i have the MVC coded file, is there any cheap or free app, that can create
the 3D BD structure or ISO file?

thanks
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:21 PM   #12
Inner Circle

you have to compile the exe from the sources (advised to use the visual C++ from microsoft).
I have compiled it, but had no time to test.
the input seems to be uncompressed YUV files, i still have to find what this exactly means, and how to produe such files easily.
I think there are some sample on the nokia website (while from low resolution for their mobile phone), but it can help to decipher what kind of format is expected.
if you really need i can post somewhere the compiled version.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery