DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   New rig photos (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/484434-new-rig-photos.html)

Alister Chapman September 8th, 2010 10:07 AM

New rig photos

I've just picked up a development version of the 3D beam splitter rig I have designed. Really pleased with it, beautiful engineering done by TLS in the UK. If you want to see any photos you will find them here:
First Pictures! - Hurricane-Rig.com
All up weight is 6kg and it will take cameras up to Red One size.

Steve LaPierre September 8th, 2010 12:49 PM

Looks very impressive, IMO the shroud should be black. I have a couple of questions about the rig, I can see where you can adjust the IA on the top camera, left view?, but how do you adjust the convergence? Also is there additional shrouding to stop light from reflecting off the back of the glass into the cameras?

Hope you post a 3D image of the rig once you have a second one completed!

Steve Shovlar September 8th, 2010 01:35 PM

Black is the colour! Looks great Alistair.

Alister Chapman September 10th, 2010 05:43 PM

Production hoods will be black, possibly carbon fiber with a fold flat design. The mirror has an anti-reflective coating on the rear which makes a huge difference to internal reflections. At the moment there is no lower baffle. I have not found it necessary to have one, but it would be easy enough to add one inside the shroud.

There is a small thumbscrew just below the top camera for adjusting the angulation (convergence). 4 turns is one degree.

When I get time after IBC I'll post pictures of a naked rig without cameras, it's much easier to appreciate the minimalist design then. We discovered today that it's actually possible to get a dismantled rig in to a standard airline carry-on bag. One allen key releases all the major components. It also converts to side by side and there will be a full kit for mounting the rig upside down with the camera up above the mirror. We also have the dual focus kit working now and that will be getting the full engineering work over after IBC. Motorised I/A and convergence kit will be next to do.

Pavel Houda September 11th, 2010 12:02 AM

Kudos Alister. It is the most elegant mirror rig I've seen. I am truly impressed. Please do post the "naked" rig pictures/videos. Thank you.

Tim Dashwood September 16th, 2010 04:36 AM

I had the pleasure of finally meeting Alister in person at IBC. I got to see the new rig up close and personal and I must say that at the targeted price it is going to be revolutionary for us indie guys.

Alister Chapman September 16th, 2010 02:59 PM

Thanks for the kind words Tim. It was good to meet you too. Love your software and Alexa demo reel.

I think these are exciting times for S3D. We have seen the initial surge with big bucks rigs, software and ancillaries. Now prices are tumbling down to more realistic levels and S3D will be come more and more accessible for everyone.

Alister Chapman February 3rd, 2011 03:47 AM

Just thought I would add that the rigs are now in production and the end user price is $7,995 USD

Jim Arthurs February 3rd, 2011 07:35 PM

Congratulations Alistar, it's a real work of art and obviously a great value for the money.

I imagine it's been a long and expensive road bringing this to market, but certainly worth the effort. At last a rig that is an elegant design, multi-functional, light weight, precise, and at an industry leading price-point.

I look forward to seeing it in person at NAB.

Regards,

Jim Arthurs

Tim Dashwood February 3rd, 2011 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Arthurs (Post 1614397)
I look forward to seeing it in person at NAB.

Please visit our booths in the 3D Pavilion (beside Sony/B&H) to see the Hurricane rigs on display. I just finished shooting a 13 episode cooking show with the Hurricane and JVC HM790/700 and it held its calibration for the whole shoot.

Alister Chapman February 4th, 2011 03:00 PM

Hey Tim. Glad you got your rig. Looking forward to NAB, there's gonna be a storm!

Oh dear, better keep taking the pills.