Video card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Trustee

Video card

I am building my desktop computer since my old one died on me. I do not want to spend too much money on a video card and am trying to decide between two of them.

The first is an XFX HD-567X-ZNF3 Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card, the other an EVGA 01G-P3-1430-LR GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card.

The first one has 400 stream processing units. The other only 96 of them but supports HDMI 4.1a and supports 3D Blu-ray, at least in theory since AFAIK no 3D BD exists yet.

Which one would you get and why? I should add that my video editor is Sony Vegas. I am not sure whether the processing stream have any effect on Vegas editing. I also do not have a 3D display, but perhaps some day I will.

The main reason I have narrowed it down to these two is that they only take up one slot, while almost all other video cards are so thick I would have to give up a slot, but I need the slots for other cards.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 12:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Adam. I personally prefer nVidia display hardware, because some of the editors use it's hardware to help with IDCT acceleration (I think), but there are some good article in this blog: 3D Vision Blog . I believe that is the case with the Vegas Pro 10 as well. It sure helps with speeding things up a lot. I'd go with the HDMI 1.4a . There should be lot more content available early next year, after CES. There is a little bit available on Amazon, and I think some of it is, or soon will be, MVC: (

) ( http://www.blu-ray.com/3d/ ). Authoring is a different issue. I think the licensing is difficult.

Last edited by Pavel Houda; November 4th, 2010 at 08:29 AM.
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #3
Trustee

I think you're right. Sony Vegas does indeed support CUDA from nVidia. And I should probably have an nVidia card with CUDA if for no other reason than to learn how to use it in my own software and to have something to test it on.

So, I am going to order the nVidia card, just not the EVGA I mentioned originally but the ZOTAC ZT-40602-10L. It use the same nVidia GT430 chip, so its functionality is exactly the same. But, beside HDMI and DVI it also has a DisplayPort. I do not have any DisplayPort hardware, but you never know what I may get in the future.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #4
Major Player

nVidia just released their "nVidia 3DTV Play", which will support output to a slew of 3DTVs, outside of the DLPs that they supported so far. NVIDIA Newsroom If my assumptions are correct, I should be able to play through it stitched files such as the one I posted here: YouTube - yt3d: 4k space - Okinawan Dancer Medium Bit Rate , which is a stitched 1920x1080xLxR file, using the stitch S/W that Tim Dashwood made available in this forum little while back. That should then be able to output the full HD 3D video via any HDMI 1.4 compatible TV. ( I didn't have the chance to try it yet, but the stream plays just fine with the Stereoscopic Player of 3dtv.at ). Since the nVidia S/W is a derivative of this Stereoscopic Player so far, if all works well, the nVidia player will convert the 3840x1080 SBS to frame packed HDMI 1.4 and we don't need to wait for 3D BDs.

Such streams can be distributed via YT or Vimeo (I managed to upload that file on Vimeo as well).

As an almost silly additional benefit, I can play these streams on my iPhone, and look at it in parallel without any glasses (the iPhone screen is a nice size for it). It looks great, no color problems or ghosting, we don't need any eye-wear or Flash Player support on iPhone, and still get cool 3D.
Old November 8th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Major Player

Hasbro announced a 3D viewing device for the iPhone, which will allow 3D parallel viewing as well as virtual reality capabilities, due to the compass/accelerometers in the iPhone. Hasbro to Launch $30 'My3D' Accessory for iPhone and iPod Touch - Mac Rumors , http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/gadget...es-3-d-on-ipod
Old November 11th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #6
Trustee

My new video card has arrived. It was not shrinkwrapped, so I assume they opened it up at Newegg. Or it was a return, but that is unlikely considering it is such a new model, and everything is nice and clean.

Now I have all the parts to rebuild my computer from scratch. I have to take out the old motherboard, put in the new one, the i7 processor, 24 Gig of RAM (that is the maximum this motherboard supports), 2 new 1 terrabyte hard drives, the video card, replace my audio card (I hope I can find Windows 7 drivers for it), install Windows 7 Ultimate, and hope everything is working.

Will keep you posted.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery