YouTube Checkerboard Support at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old November 17th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #1
Major Player

YouTube Checkerboard Support

YouTube is currently experiencing a bug, where it doesn't want to leave the current default 3D display mode (red & cyan in my case). There are work arounds, and YT claims that they have a fix, which should be released on Thursday. On the bright side, this new release includes a checkerboard pattern output, to drive directly DLP TV's. That is quite good news. They also claim that they will be changing their test process.
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I noticed that myself.
Thanks for the info.
I leave my computer desktop in checkerboard 3D mode most of the time so I can review my 3D videos and watch live 3D from my remote 3D camera while doing other things.
Good to know they will be fixing it soon.
Frank Stearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Well, they fixed it now, so that it outputs checkerboard pattern. Unfortunately the player doesn't activate the IR emitter for the nVidia glasses, which I am using to view 3D at the moment @home. I will try it with different glasses, but I think they should make it work with the nVidia 3D Vision soon. All the other modes, such as cross-eye, etc. seem to work o.k. ... Found other pair of glasses and emitter, the 3D is just fine with these, so it is just the activation of the nVidia IR emitter driver that seems to be the issue. I believe that any non-nVidia glasses would work and that the player is in usable shape now. I tried it in three different window sizes and every possible permutation of resolutions, and it all worked o.k.

Last edited by Pavel Houda; November 17th, 2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old November 18th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Checkerboard mode works fine in window mode but not in full screen mode.
Old November 18th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Major Player

Hm, strange, works for me either way.
Old November 18th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Flash player / browser differences explain the problem perhaps?
Old November 18th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #7
Major Player

You are most likely correct, I am having problem getting out of checkerboard using IE, the original problem did go away with FireFox. So there are very likely still other bugs, associated with the operating environment.

It maybe that, or the graphic card / setting. I use nVidia card in the HTPC I tried it with. Originally only the window worked in 3D as well. I suspect the frame buffer pixels were not properly aligned with the display pixels. I later went in and varied the resolution sliders. I don't remember exactly what I did, but when I finished, everything started to work. Very scientific.... The final resolution is set to less than 1920x1080, because if I leave it, with the overscan, it is hard to control the sliders and other controls of the PC, that are placed all around the edges of the PC screen. With some older systems in the past, I was forced to go to 1920x1080x60p for full screen to see the video in 3D and lower the res for the computer stuff, so that I can control the PC controls easier.

Last edited by Pavel Houda; November 18th, 2010 at 02:16 PM.
Pavel Houda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery