DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/)
-   -   (Single) 3D Projectors & shutter glasses (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stereoscopic-production-delivery/487790-single-3d-projectors-shutter-glasses.html)

Carlton Bright November 20th, 2010 07:14 PM

(Single) 3D Projectors & shutter glasses

It would seem that arrival of numerous (single) 3D Projectors and active glasses, combined with Blu-ray, could retire the dual projector/silver screen format.
The ease and precision seems remarkable, and the quality and prices will advance and retreat accordingly.
I have yet to see this set-up and working, (but have successfully gotten to first base by burning a side by side 3D Blu-Ray.) Has anyone seen this, or been working with 3D Projectors and active glasses as a way of presenting Stereoptical Imagery?

Giroud Francois November 21st, 2010 10:04 AM

dual projector/silver screen is a cheap setup that has too many constraint to go big size.
you can double double projectors (even if they cost $5000 each and it looks expensive to you) but when you speak about real theater projector that cost $200.000, doubling cost is not an option.
So most theater goes by the same projector as usual and adding a polarizing lens in front of it.
the cost of this lens is still expensive, but a way cheaper than a second projector.

The silver screen is a one shot investement, so it is not really a problem.
Some theater are reluctant to go with active glasses, because they have 1 big drawback:maintenance cost.
there is a battery inside you need to change, the glasses cost a lot and can be stolen or broken, and you need (in theory) to clean them regularly. and they are technology linked, so if you change the specs of projector (like the frame rate or the IR protocol), possibly your glasses must be changed.
Polarized glass on the other hand, are cheap (most of time you pay a few dollars more and you can bring them back home), offer a good result, and you can even customize them according the theme's movie (since they are giveaway, it is free advertising paid by spectator.) and they will be compatible with any projection system.

Knowing all that, and people who take business decision usually don't do it technical figures but likely on best profit (minimum outcome for maximum income), you can guess that polarized glass could still have a long life.
Stangely, LG is just releasing big sized LCD screens using polarized glasses (until now you can hardly find bigger than 24") but they cost way more (avout 3x time more) than the same LG screen with active glasses, while there is no technology is such screen that could justify it.

Tim Dashwood November 21st, 2010 03:17 PM

I have been testing the new JVC RS60 projector this past week. It accepts frame pack, side by side and top/bottom but works with a white screen and active glasses. The image quality is incredible of course (D-iLA and THX) and I perceive no flicker whatsoever.
I will put together a full review as soon as I can get my hands on the RS40 to compare the contrast level and picture quality through the full line.

Carlton Bright November 22nd, 2010 02:37 PM

Thank you for your swift replies, they both helped with the current research I am doing on this situation.

I am actually testing the active glasses/single projector possibilities, with what is available at the B&H showroom at this point in time.
I do have a very specific situation for this 3D setup. Here is the scenario,(and with a short deadline to boot)

I shot and edited a 10 minute Stereoptical Dance video . It will be projected (like a small window on a wall) in a slow, browsing, convention-booth-like setting, from a ceiling mounted cross beam, so both projectors would need to be set on extreme keystone. The video has been resized in editing for a long throw projection (it is a 10 foot throw, with a 20 inch high image. I have mocked this up with my tried and true, Linear Polerizer system, which is two large dual projectors using my Chief projector stand, etc.) It also uses my Mac-Mini with the MARTOX DUAL HEAD 2 GO.

The mock-up works, but needless to say, it is a heavy, cumbersome, and involved setup.
I am scrambling to see if I can get a single "3D Ready" projector with a few shutter glasses, to take this place of this setup.

The various missing links in this Idea are:

1-Finding a projector that has a "side by side" selection (Like the Panasonic 3D TV's)
2-If that does not exist ,finding software to make the 10 minute Dance video into a Sequential Frame (Frame packed) format.
2-And if that does exist, getting an Infrared Transmitter to link to the glasses

I am currently exploring the Optima projectors, because Optima does have glasses for their projectors ($99.00 each, not bad)
but the question is;
Can you get consumer, or any software to make Sequential Frame, (Frame packed) formatted video?
And can you get a (blu-ray) player that will connect with a single, 3D ready projector, (Optima in this case) to have this all work?
Any notions, thoughts, or information that could help fill in the missing links to this workflow would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Carlton Bright